• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

please help with steering issue!!!

P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
OK, so I decided to narrow the front end on my stock iqr a-arms, this was last year so I don't remember exactly how much I took off but I believe it was 1.5" per side. Ever since then I've had a major bump steer problem.It toes out big time as the suspension compresses.
I've tried moving the spindle splines both ways but it doesn't help at all, we're talking likely a good inch of bumpsteer, way too much and downright scary.
Has anyone had this issue when they go to say a stock rmk front end on their iqr? Did I do something wrong?
Haven't been on here in forever but I'd appreciate any help.
Here is the link to my sled build,
it does not include the a-arm shortening sorry. If you want to see pics of the a-arms I'll be happy to take some
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97990

Last edited:
J
Oct 12, 2002
Idaho, Meridian
silly question....but did you shorten the steering rods 1.5 inches on each side to match the narrower front end?

fyi no problems switching to the rmk a-arms.

edit: pics would help

Last edited:
P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
silly question....but did you shorten the steering rods 1.5 inches on each side to match the narrower front end?

fyi no problems switching to the rmk a-arms.

edit: pics would help

uh, you're kidding me right? Of course I shortened the steering rods. it would be so toed in it probably would not go back together if you didn't shorten the steering rods lol.
Ok. so that would be very dumb, but I ended up figuring the problem out anyway and holy crap what I did was almost as dumb as not shortening the rods, so bad that I almost don't want to mention it here but for the sake of self humility I will. I put the rod ends on the top of the spindles instead of the bottom. Can you believe that it took me this long to figure that out? I should be shot. I built this sled from the ground up and it works great but a simple thing like rod end placement miffed me.
I only rode it one day like that last year (this is my backup sled) but holy crap I fought with that mutha all day! You'd be surprised how much that messes with your steering geometry!:pound:

Premium Features