• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch question

Jul 22, 2009
So I took off the outermost part of the secondary clutch (not sure what that part is called) to put on a new helix. This is my first time working on a clutch. When I went to put that outer piece back on (the piece with the rollers) I had to twist it either clockwise or counter-clockwise to get the bolt patterns to match up again. I opted to twist clockwise so that the spring would keep the rollers back onto the helix when the sled is just sitting there...

Did I do this right? I can't remember exactly how it came off. Seems like there sure is a lot of pressure on that spring; more than I remember but maybe I'm just remembering wrong...? Just using the stock red/white spring. Should the hole 1 that the spring fits into have any relation to where the 5 holes on that outer piece are? Any input is appreciated!

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Sounds like you did it right.
There is a lot of pressure on those springs just to get it back together. Hope you replaced your spring while you had it apart. That is somehthing that should be done every year on the 900 cat.

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
When you put the roller cover back on, you need to turn it clockwise. If you don't remember which hole the spring tang was in, start with it the tang in the middle hole and adjust from there. Did you pull the hole clutch off the secondary shaft? If you did, I use a roll of duct tape to set the clutch on, makes working on it much easier.

Premium Features