• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 sp 146 suspension removal?

F
May 18, 2011
Iowa
Ive been looking for videos and threads on how to remove the suspension my my 2018 ski doo summit sp 146 so i can paint my rails. This is my first Gen 4 so i am not familiar with it at all! Can someone point me in the right direction and is it an easy task for a somewhat mechanically inclined person? Thanks!!

E
Sep 12, 2008
N 45°31', W 94°14'
If you're referring to the cross shafts turning after you get one side out, try this. Get a bit longer bolt with a nut and after you get one side out thread the nut on the bolt, turn it back in but kinda right before it gets tights hold the bolt head and tighten the nut to the side of the frame like the original bolt head would do, then go after the other side, an impact on removal might help. then back to the first side and unjam the nut. Otherwise its like most sleds loosing the track etc. You can make a stand too, the Ski-Doo has a hole thru the steering post, if you get a 3/4 inch pipe about 2 feet long weld a short bolt or something that fits thru the steering post hole when you set it on the side makes a solid stand. Hope this helps.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
yeah, after you get those bolts out, heat em up and wire brush off the loctite. This will help you not have to relive the nightmare of Ski doo skid removal. I've been dooing it for years haven't lost a bolt... yet :face-icon-small-coo

F
May 18, 2011
Iowa
If you're referring to the cross shafts turning after you get one side out, try this. Get a bit longer bolt with a nut and after you get one side out thread the nut on the bolt, turn it back in but kinda right before it gets tights hold the bolt head and tighten the nut to the side of the frame like the original bolt head would do, then go after the other side, an impact on removal might help. then back to the first side and unjam the nut. Otherwise its like most sleds loosing the track etc. You can make a stand too, the Ski-Doo has a hole thru the steering post, if you get a 3/4 inch pipe about 2 feet long weld a short bolt or something that fits thru the steering post hole when you set it on the side makes a solid stand. Hope this helps.

Ill give that a try! But what I kinda meant is the process on taking it all out, ive never done a suspension removal on a sled, so i was wondering if there was a step by step for these Gen 4's! Thanks!

E
Sep 12, 2008
N 45°31', W 94°14'
I would go look on a site called DOOTALK, search there and maybe you will find details. if you are doing this for a first time, cautioning you its not easy. some will compress the suspension and tie it with a camstrap, some will remove the shocks, but you will have torsion springs to deal with,shocks and getting it lined up to put back in. Some will hang it from above, I put the sled on it's side. do it when you have enough time.

Premium Features