• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Gen 4 starts on fire

N
Jan 22, 2017
just read about the injector bolts in top of the engine are backing out and falling out of the hole. bad bolts once again and dealer is replacing them. may want to check them. very well could be what caused this fire

L
Jan 1, 2008
cheney, wa
Thanks again for all the ideas, responses. I'll post up when I have more info and we don't carry a fire extinguisher with us we had one in the truck and were close enough to run back and get it.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Over the years, we've had 3 destroyed calipers (and more) from people pulling this numbskull move on our sleds. Never started an actual fire, but I've heard of that happening. We do a lot sled accessed backcountry skiing and take out a lot of newbs. It's so jarring having the brake on, you'd think they'd notice. We also had a brand new XM smoke like it was on fire on its maiden voyage. There was some pooled oil in/on the muffler that was superheating it and making it smoke like crazy. Pretty scary. Took it into the dealer and they cleaned it up and we were back on the snow the same day.

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
my 2018 started on fire also last Saturday, and no the parking brake was not set.

Sidehilling thru 3 feet of pow and I stop and hit the kill switch, sled backfires and small flames are coming out of the top of the side panels. I got the fire out very quickly. The only damage was the pull cord rope. I started the sled with the shot and rode it 10 miles back to the truck and took it to the dealer. They can not figure out why the sled caught on fire, and ski doo was no help.

Based on the responses to the op, is why I did not ask on here. It is weird, I have been around sleds that have caught on fire by the parking brake, so I get that, but this was not the case on this one.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Once the sled is moving I bet the 165hp engine over powers the brake so quick guys jacked up on riding anticipation can’t really feel it. Once the pads are really hot they lose most of their grip too. I doubt you’d smell it either since you are moving. I think the dash will blink a warning too though if you run with the brake on. Most people won’t admit to that level of oblivious tho. :face-icon-small-hap

garciava

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
western colorado
I'm sure the parking brake was not left on because when the brake is applyed the ECM detects it and will put the sled in limp mode.
My 2016 Ski Doo was going into limp mode and it was because the brake light switch was sticking. When I took it to the dealer and they put it on the computer it showed brake was on. Fixed the switch and no more issues

I'm sure the newer Ski Doos are the same way

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Friends 17 Doo 850 caught on fire a month ago and burned to ground way in the backcountry. It was posted on here!

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
Skidoo has asked for more pictures from the dealer so still a waiting game.
I'm in the same boat except farther along. Yeah, Doo asked for mooe pics. Yeah, Doo took a month to act like they were investigating. Well, after getting the finger I find out that the guy doing the investigation WASN'T EVEN DONE YET! I've called back twice now and only gotten an email back from their supposed legal supervisor who I had already been dealing with and she didn't even explain this latest discovery.

Have you gotten kicked up to supervisor level and was her name Melanie Rasmussen?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Premium Features