• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What the hell is going on?? coolant issue

A
Dec 11, 2009
Hey guys. this is the prob. the sleds running great. 05 mod 800.. noticed the antifreeze getting black.? so i did pressure tests to the system as well as compression test also. everything was good?? i realized today it started to smoke alittle more. i smelt the exhaust and noticed that it smelt like antifreeze so i brought her home and changed the head gasket. usaully its that. but when i restarted it. it was still smoking? went for a small ride and it started to really act up. and alot of smoke. checked the antifreeze . it went down. so i did a pressure and compression test again. and everything is good what the hell is going on???? no leaks on the ground or nothing. ??

A

akjimmyb

Sep 29, 2008
Alaska
You say you changed the "head gasket". Do you mean the o-rings. If you have a bad inner o-ring it will push oil/fuel into the water passages in the jug/head. I have seen this evidence as oil in the coolant bottle. Most of the time it will pressure up the bottle when it is running. When you shut it off it can loose coolant into the cylinder on top of the piston. This will cause it to burn the coolant off and smoke while running. A bad base gasket will smoke when it is running also buy pulling the coolant into the crank case and into the cylinders. I would check your spark plugs and see if one is wet. Pull it over with the plugs out and see if any coolant is pushed out. If its not on the top end it probably is coming from your base gasket.

S

scarter

Jan 13, 2009
Belgrade, MT
I agree with Spudman, If you have changed the orings in the head, I would replace the water pump/oil pump shaft seals.

A
Dec 11, 2009
yes i replaced the head orings. and ive notived that its still just on 1 side that its sucking in antifreeze i will get on it soon. and see if it is the base gasket if so good. i dont feel like getting to the case.

Premium Features