• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 Ski-Doo Summit X with Expert Package - My Thoughts

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
I don't run snow flaps on my sleds at all. They are needed ALOT less than people think.

My buddy's 15 xm with cut and trimmed flap has to constantly stop and cool with scratchers down and loose snow on the trail. My 14 with full flap never has to stop and cool on the same trails. (trails are a necessary evil)

I suspect it has more to do with cooler differences between between 14 and 15 (if there are any) but I'm skeptical about not running flaps at all as mine cools pretty well even in marginal snow. It also could be the brand of scratchers I suppose, but the eyeball test is what is: flaps=cooler trimmed flaps=not cooler.

I would love an expert but I can't fathom the skinny bars, shorter riser, and smaller seat. I'm 6'4" and 270 lbs, and I don't care what any pro says: Shorter risers are not "better" for me. They make my life miserable. Neither are skinny bars. Sticking with my '14 this next season.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Testy! Perhaps he wanted to see your thoughts Dave? Why can't a guy ask if you pay to post here? Not to mention he is a paying member of the forum... I don't see any Polaris Ambassadors posting in the Polaris forums so I think it was a fair question to ask. People get their feelings hurt here way too easy...

So, let me get this straight.....

Dave is a Ski Doo Ambassador, posting insightful and informative videos/posts in the Ski Doo section, and somehow is doing something wrong?!

You guys are clowns of the highest order! Find something else to complain about.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I would love an expert but I can't fathom the skinny bars, shorter riser, and smaller seat. I'm 6'4" and 270 lbs, and I don't care what any pro says: Shorter risers are not "better" for me. They make my life miserable. Neither are skinny bars. Sticking with my '14 this next season.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Gotta give options like this a season; some become new standards, some will be just marketing, like, what were we thinking, and others just become personal choices. Execution quality matters, too. Wasn't that long ago that a 2" 136 with skinny skis +40" apart was a big dog on the hill.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I would love an expert but I can't fathom the skinny bars, shorter riser, and smaller seat. I'm 6'4" and 270 lbs, and I don't care what any pro says: Shorter risers are not "better" for me. They make my life miserable. Neither are skinny bars. Sticking with my '14 this next season.

I feel the same.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Before you discount the thin bars, think about the big guys who are power lifters using a narrow bar to lift the weight.:eyebrows:

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
I feel the same.

Before you discount the thin bars, think about the big guys who are power lifters using a narrow bar to lift the weight.:eyebrows:[/QUOTE]

Former powerlifter here. +1 on the skinny bar. I have found on the MX side that smaller diameter grips help of you have arm pump issues.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
"Well, the hill climb results didn’t do much for them, so they need to try something."

Bone head comment of the season here above by jon boy

Colton Olstad

1st semi pro stock
1st semi pro improved
5th semi pro mod
1st king of the hill .
Fastest time up the hill Friday

Tony won the amature division
Jason Ribi and Carl also won, pretty awesome for guys who ride the backcountry all season and then just drop into Jackson.

Oh Yeah Johnny how did you do, didn't show, cause you were on the internet....classic.

Last edited:

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
"Well, the hill climb results didn’t do much for them, so they need to try something."

Colton Olstad

1st semi pro stock
1st semi pro improved
5th semi pro mod
1st king of the hill .

Jason Ribi and Carl also won, pretty awesome for guys who ride the backcountry all season and then just drop into Jackson.

Oh Yeah Johnny how did you do, didn't show, cause you were on the internet....classic.

#savagedbyNorona

Ace

B
Feb 18, 2009
More efficient? It has not changed as far as cooling, the sled runs like a 154 or 146 tunnel which cools better than a 175, and because of the longer track there is more snow turning up, so even though most is evacuated enough goes back in, again I am not here to say the expert wont get hot, if you ride hard rocky dirt trails right from your truck, but on the trail I have found it to be the same as another 154 g4, I rarely run my snow flap on my removable, but if the trail is icy and hard i throw it on as it is always better to run it cooler than warmer. Many people said it wont cool or will always over height and that has never been my experience with it which is why I talked about it and again if you want you can purchase a snowflap accessory now, I will have one even though 90% of the time I wont need it. Hope that helps.

This is hard to believe. The longer track will not do what you are saying, length has zero impact on bringing the snow up around the back into the tunnel. Furthermore the lack of a snowflap will definitely have an effect on cooling on the trail, silly to suggest otherwise. I can see a big difference on the trail when I leave my LINQ snowflap on vs off and with that there is still a little (3-4in) lip/flap.

You are nice guy Dave but your sales BS gets real thick real fast.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA

Colton Olstad

1st semi pro stock
1st semi pro improved
5th semi pro mod
1st king of the hill .

I told you guys Ski Doos are better for novice and intermediate riders :face-icon-small-win

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I told you guys Ski Doos are better for novice and intermediate riders :face-icon-small-win

That pretty much sums it up, anybody who attends a rmsha race will notice about 70 percent of the sleds are Polaris in the pro classes.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
This is hard to believe. The longer track will not do what you are saying, length has zero impact on bringing the snow up around the back into the tunnel. Furthermore the lack of a snowflap will definitely have an effect on cooling on the trail, silly to suggest otherwise. I can see a big difference on the trail when I leave my LINQ snowflap on vs off and with that there is still a little (3-4in) lip/flap.

You are nice guy Dave but your sales BS gets real thick real fast.

Why challenge Dave on this, he's not the only one pointing out that the flap is not needed. If the expert doesn't fit your needs then move on and order what fits you. Not one sled is right for everyone.

kyinwa

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2011
washington
I am thankful to have Dave be an active part of the forum, especially considering he is posting info about sleds that aren't yet available for the vast majority of us to see in person, let alone ride. This time of year people are making their decision to snowcheck a sled or not and which sled to choose so I really appreciate all the videos he posts about the ins and outs of different sleds and accessories available.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Why challenge Dave on this, he's not the only one pointing out that the flap is not needed. If the expert doesn't fit your needs then move on and order what fits you. Not one sled is right for everyone.

Or you can also ignore what I am saying and purchase the accesory snowflap for it then it is exactly like a stock summit with a removable snowflap added. So much choice now, which is awesome!

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I am thankful to have Dave be an active part of the forum, especially considering he is posting info about sleds that aren't yet available for the vast majority of us to see in person, let alone ride. This time of year people are making their decision to snowcheck a sled or not and which sled to choose so I really appreciate all the videos he posts about the ins and outs of different sleds and accessories available.

Cheers buddy! The amount of guys who are slagging me is small and they are not even on the brand and just bummed because ski-doo is producing more, and or they have no intention of purchasing a sled and instead of being stoked for those who are, they are just bitter. We will just keep riding and having a great ol time, as that is what it is all about.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I just want Skidoo to make a sled that is mod worthy. There's more Doos than any other brand so it'd be cool to use some brain power to make it better than stock. Currently, the g4 breaks down too often, halting the mod process/testing in its tracks.
Doo has tried the over promise and under deliver approach, warranty denial scam, crazy markup on parts, then they put out an unreliable sled. On top of that, Doo is attempting to scare customers away from repairing their own sleds. All these factors chased away a ton of customers.
Cat just upped the ante by offering cheap sleds and a no questions asked warranty program.
It's time for a different approach from Doo.
Deep down I'm rooting for them to come up with something wicked. Come on Doo. You can Doo it.
Keep up the sales/info Dave. It educates peeps and any info is good info.

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I just want Skidoo to make a sled that is mod worthy. There's more Doos than any other brand so it'd be cool to use some brain power to make it better than stock. Currently, the g4 breaks down too often, halting the mod process/testing in its tracks.
Doo has tried the over promise and under deliver approach, warranty denial scam, crazy markup on parts, then they put out an unreliable sled. On top of that, Doo is attempting to scare customers away from repairing their own sleds. All these factors chased away a ton of customers.
Cat just upped the ante by offering cheap sleds and a no questions asked warranty program.
It's time for a different approach from Doo.
Deep down I'm rooting for them to come up with something wicked. Come on Doo. You can Doo it.
Keep up the sales/info Dave. It educates peeps and any info is good info.

Cat’s pricing is appealing. As number three in sales it seems like a bit of a hail mary to boost sales. Still great news for shoppers.

As for Cat’s warranty. Doesn’t Ski Doo offer a 4 year warranty for spring orders versus one year on the Cats now? With all the announced changes to the Cat motor for 2020 I would want more than a one year warranty no matter how much Cat drops the price though.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
My 850 has had a blown motor for 4 weeks now and Doo is STILL deciding if they will warranty it. I haven't touched the motor. Only MOD on the sled was Diamond S can... I totally feel for someone who can only afford one sled and it goes down. The warranty is useless in my eyes if you miss half of a season because of your sled blowing up...

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Get a four year warranty on the M, and the price is much closer with most AC dealers who will charge the destination fee. If you flip every year or two, you'll likely get half or more of the warranty cost back on any sled on resale. If you like to roll dice, have a money tree to pay cash for a motor after year 1, or going to hang on to the sled for four years, the AC pricing is hard to ignore. Would love to see the others respond with a similar program, one year OEM warranty only at a significantly reduced, competitive cost, snocheck should be all about options. They'd sell more parts and service, too. Maybe this offer by cat will push that forward next year. Would be nothing but good for the industry.

Premium Features