• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Jaws Pipe Review

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
The spring that connects the front clamp should be facing towards the engine (long side of clamp towards engine). If it is facing the grill, the clamp is installed backwards.

C
Nov 27, 2007
I pulled all the felt out of mine but installed a healthy layer of heat tape on the under side of the airbox, along with a few oil lines and the rewind. No issues so far

Flydanner

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2018
2017 Summit X 850 1600 miles.
Y - pipe, pipe, and can.
Added one degree timing.
Ran awesome for 400 miles in West Yellowstone area.
Front band clamp broke at the weld area under pipe.
End up burning 3 large 2" holes in air box under hood.
Beware! Not enough clearance between setup and airbox/hood.
Patch and repair air box, repair band clamp, put back together.
850 won't run right now, hope it didn't suck any pieces of plastic into the motor.
It's sitting in the trailer now, check engine light on now.
Have the Jaws set for sale cheap, hope my motor isn't toast.
In Pinedale now having to rent, learned my lesson, poor workmanship on Jaws part.
Wishing I could ride my own sled.

How much do you want for the pipe?

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
The spring that connects the front clamp should be facing towards the engine (long side of clamp towards engine). If it is facing the grill, the clamp is installed backwards.

My only complaint about jaws is the install instructions. Need more or better photos to make it easier to understand. Didn't see anything about which direction the front clamp should be installed. Just a bad photo. Will be putting heat tape on the under side my air box...

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Nosiupforyou ,good find on the clamp oierentation , did the clamp come installed ?

I’m going by your description the pipe is a healthy improvent over stock and on 91 pump gas .

Keep in informed on longer term usage ?

Thanks

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Clamp doesn't come installed. You have to take the rubber grommet from the stock pipe and put it in the bottom of the clamp assembly, then the clamp assembly bolts on the end of the new support tower that they send to you.

When I got my pipe it didn't have any instructions, so I spent an extra hour or so head scratching trying to figure things out. Putting the hood on was a tight fit and I could tell the pipe was touching the hood. A few days later they sent out instructions and they weren't that great, but in one of the pictures I could tell that the clamp assembly was installed the opposite direction that I had installed mine. I didn't think it would make any difference, but I tore into it anyway are reinstalled the clamp assembly in the opposite direction. It did make a difference because the pipe now set lower in the chassis and barely touched the felt liner under the air box rather than compressing the liner against the air box and the hood reinstalled easily.

Pipe rips on 91 octane with no timing added. You really notice it compared to stock on a long powder climb where you can keep it pinned. Definitely pulls and holds more track speed than stock. Not night and day difference, but probably the equivalent of riding 2,000-2,500 ft. lower elevation than what you are actually riding. I was surprised when clutching that I could keep adding pin weight and the RPM still stayed the same. I think 8000 rpm is the sweet spot, and you need to keep adding weight until the RPM drops to 7900, then back off a little. From my experience just because it is pulling 8000 doesn't mean you can't add more weight and still pull 8000.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
nosoupfortou, you are lat ike 1700 ft correct ?

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
Clamp doesn't come installed. You have to take the rubber grommet from the stock pipe and put it in the bottom of the clamp assembly, then the clamp assembly bolts on the end of the new support tower that they send to you.

When I got my pipe it didn't have any instructions, so I spent an extra hour or so head scratching trying to figure things out. Putting the hood on was a tight fit and I could tell the pipe was touching the hood. A few days later they sent out instructions and they weren't that great, but in one of the pictures I could tell that the clamp assembly was installed the opposite direction that I had installed mine. I didn't think it would make any difference, but I tore into it anyway are reinstalled the clamp assembly in the opposite direction. It did make a difference because the pipe now set lower in the chassis and barely touched the felt liner under the air box rather than compressing the liner against the air box and the hood reinstalled easily.

Pipe rips on 91 octane with no timing added. You really notice it compared to stock on a long powder climb where you can keep it pinned. Definitely pulls and holds more track speed than stock. Not night and day difference, but probably the equivalent of riding 2,000-2,500 ft. lower elevation than what you are actually riding. I was surprised when clutching that I could keep adding pin weight and the RPM still stayed the same. I think 8000 rpm is the sweet spot, and you need to keep adding weight until the RPM drops to 7900, then back off a little. From my experience just because it is pulling 8000 doesn't mean you can't add more weight and still pull 8000.

I had to take mine back off and changed the clamp direction. Still heat taped my air box as I had already taken the felt off the under side of the hood. Y pioe to pipe springs were tight. Had to stretch one in the vise and pulling on it to get it to fit. Gonna try it out on Saturday

snosumitcsr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Lake Washington
2017 Summit X 850 1600 miles.
Y - pipe, pipe, and can.
Added one degree timing.
Ran awesome for 400 miles in West Yellowstone area.
Front band clamp broke at the weld area under pipe.
End up burning 3 large 2" holes in air box under hood.
Beware! Not enough clearance between setup and airbox/hood.
Patch and repair air box, repair band clamp, put back together.
850 won't run right now, hope it didn't suck any pieces of plastic into the motor.
It's sitting in the trailer now, check engine light on now.
Have the Jaws set for sale cheap, hope my motor isn't toast.
In Pinedale now having to rent, learned my lesson, poor workmanship on Jaws part.
Wishing I could ride my own sled.
Just a FYI Call Jaws, they have a heat shield to prevent Airbox melting, they are shipping me. I did not buy pipe direct from them but they are sending some kind of shield. I have not received it yet, so I cannot comment on how it works or what it looks like. I will post a picture when I receive it.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Update I reduced pin weight to 1.2 x3 = 3.6 grams @ 1700' clicker one, pipe and clutch holds a solid 8000 RPM in a foot of lightly settled snow - 10C, very close to optimum.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
SHR approves of the jaws and dynoport...

BOTH needed more tip weight to load the motor (stock weights/pivot bolt isnt enough) and NO, just because you are running 8000 rpm doesnt mean its right:face-icon-small-win

call for details and proper clutching-BJ

P
Jan 10, 2008
PA mostly
Loving my jaws pipe and SHR clutch kit from BJ and man what a difference, call John at Sledheadracing and get you some of that...LOL

A few key things and some of this BJ pre warned me about and one or two I called and talked to him and made him aware.

1.get a large hose clamp and run it through the mounting ring on the pipe just in case you had the weld break like the guy above.
2. BJ sent me the clutch kit and he put a new Y pipe gaskets in that box because he had to drop ship the pipe due to my time line, but when I installed the pipe the crappy instructions said to use RVT on the Y pipe so I called BJ and asked use the gaskets like I normally would or go RVT like the directions? He was not happy JAWS said to use RTV and said he would be calling JAWS to correct that
4. Directions SUCK
5. Direction say blue loctite but should be red
6. I left my felt alone, but I did cover all the felt w heat tape along with wires.
7. Go buy an allen key I had an 8" one that I cut the L off of then welded it in a cheap socket which is now in the special sled tool bag lil. Made y pipe install much easier.
8. Call John at SHR he knows his ****.....
9. ENJOY...

Premium Features