• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hard to start with primary cluch off

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Primary clutch off hard to start , or wont start.

Put primary clutch on starts with ease … One pull.

Is it me or does the sled know the primary is off the shaft?

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I had a buddy that did not believe that on his 08 Summit 800R. He had the clutch off, thought he’d start it super easy. Ended up dragging all over the shop by the pull rope, and trying to dislocate his wrist at the same time from kick back. Pretty funny.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I understand the engine is designed / balanced with the primary clutch on at all times when running.

The primary clutch specifically on the GEN$ has an imbalance to balance the rotational mass of the engine.

That is why it is keyed onto the shaft.

The question is why it is hard to even pull the engine over with out the primary clutch? Much less start it? Put clutch on and starts one pull.

Last edited:

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Research flywheel.

The larger diameter increases the rotational distance, the increased wieght adds to rotational momentum.

Those forces help overcome the engine compression, wieght of moving parts.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
^^ what he said....plus, if it was to run without the flywheel effect of the clutch, there is the possibility of crank twist. Firing BTDC and no mass to carry the crank/piston past TDC, it could cause that piston to go back down instead of up and through the stroke. Basically trying to spin half the crank backwards. Probably not...but it has happened.

Premium Features