• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who's your cellular carrier?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Our lifestyles have changed alot in the last 20 years.
After looking at all of these monthly payments payments that leave us with nothing (cable, Internet, cell phonesetc), I've decided to look at these things and see if I can cut some costs while keeping product that meets my needs.

Let us share who we use for cellular and what we like and dislike about them.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
We are with Verizon.
I believe that their product quality is as good as any, however I feel that other carriers can meet my needs and expectations at lower costs.

We have two phones with one gb available between the two, and we've never gone over.
Neither of us are the type to "play" on our phones, so one gig is more than enough.

Looking specifically at Cricket Wireless and T Mobile if anyone has experience with either would be great.
Thanks

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
My family has T mobile, we were with Verizon forever but switched for better pricing and right after I switched the pricing changed at Verizon. On my recent trip to Albany Wy, I was the only one without service. Same thing with my last two trips. Also, with my plan.....10mb roaming data. Are you kidding! ?

But at home I have no complaints. $130 a month for 4 phones. Ok I guess

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Why can't there be an industry standard for the phones themselves?
I hate the idea of discarding perfectly good smart phones, just to change carrier.
Same goes for chargers. In fact, when we picked our last phones, one major factor was that they had to have micro usb charger/data port. Let's all agree to pick one and stick with it!

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
We have Verizon for one reason only......The coverage. Because the price is damn high!!!

My wife and I travel a bunch all over the country and world. Every single time I have traveled with someone who had another cell company at some point in the trip they don't have coverage. Even going to my cabin in northern MN nobody else has coverage all the time except Verizon and Verizon is the only one to have coverage at the cabin itself. And that is the reason we stay. I guess it's the price we have to pay to have coverage everywhere we go.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Good point.
We have many customers on lakes that are essentially bowls with piss poor coverage.
I need to keep in mind the inconvenience of being on the water without coverage.:face-icon-small-fro

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
We've been with Spring for over 12 years. Coverage in urban areas is good. Coverage while on the road sux big time.

Its more affordable than Verizon and works well most of the time except when traveling.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
We have Verizon for one reason only......The coverage. Because the price is damn high!!!

Same Here.

VERIZON only because the MOUNTAIN coverage tends to be the very best out there for where we ride.

Better chance of catching a signal on top of a ridge or mountain with Verizon.

snowdog484

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Winsted, MN
Had T mobile for 15 years. Had to switch to Verizion when I moved farther in the sticks. The coverage is still iffy on certain days. The price you pay I guess to get away from the urban jungle.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
AT&T. My wife gets 24% discount because of where she works. I use my iPhone LTE using the hot spot for our internet at home on two Mac desk tops. One in the house and one in my shop. We can't get internet any other way. I refuse to do satellite.
We got good service riding in the mountains just south of West Yellowstone and over in Island Park. The iPhone and the Mac are so compatible. $.02

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
If you're in the outdoors at all off the main highway it's worthless to have anything but Verizon. I bet if you get stuck out in the sticks and need to make a call, paying $25 more a month is going to seem well worth it. Mine is about 95 per month for myself but it's worth it for having service basically everywhere, not to mention it's a tax write-off.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
It all depends on where you are. Verizon doesn't work where we live. None of them worked in Cooke City the last time we were there. $.02

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It all depends on where you are. Verizon doesn't work where we live. None of them worked in Cooke City the last time we were there. $.02

That is a UNIQUE situation.

Cooke City VOTED to have NO CELL COVERAGE in their township!!

So far as I know, it is the ONLY CITY in the USA that have deliberately chosen to have NO CELL COVERAGE on purpose.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Why can't there be an industry standard for the phones themselves?
I hate the idea of discarding perfectly good smart phones, just to change carrier.
Same goes for chargers. In fact, when we picked our last phones, one major factor was that they had to have micro usb charger/data port. Let's all agree to pick one and stick with it!

Sell them to someone who needs a phone with that carrier. Tons of people break and lose phones

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
Globalstar works great in Cooke city.
Verizon everywhere else.

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
I have Verizon only because they bought out Alltel. I I had Alltel only because they bought out Midwest Wireless. Midwest Wireless was a great company with great customer service which we haven't seen since probably the reason they got bought out and Verizon ended up with them was the great customer service and area coverage

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Premium Features