• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any one make a better idler sprocket then plastic ?

P
Jan 2, 2009
Broke my plastic idler sprocket and thought some one made a billet one or something better ? Any help would be great thanks

Last edited:

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
We hope to have a different option this summer, but as for now we do have the stock idlers on hand. They are getting low and Timbersled is backordered on them so if you need one let me know.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Get your spec's on the part and call CMX or Yeti. See if their stuff will work. Quit paying for future upgrades. Both companies do their own R&D. They don't let the costumer do the R&D then have them pay for the upgrade next summer.
I have 3 years on my CMX and have spent $0.00 on parts that didn't work. I did bend a cross shaft on a stump that I had to buy.

M
Jan 14, 2004

I've never bought one because they are the same cheap crap gear as TS uses but yes I think the Mcmaster part number is the 8255k12 or the 8255k32 which look the same to me. I probably cant get a metal run done before the end of the first week of Feb, I wont be back to the shop until the end of January so if you are in a pinch the above gears should work. You will need to do your own research. I have found the TS brand of gear online before, search by the name printed on the gear, they are designed for conveyor belt systems, no joke.

M5

P
Jan 2, 2009
I've never bought one because they are the same cheap crap gear as TS uses but yes I think the Mcmaster part number is the 8255k12 or the 8255k32 which look the same to me. I probably cant get a metal run done before the end of the first week of Feb, I wont be back to the shop until the end of January so if you are in a pinch the above gears should work. You will need to do your own research. I have found the TS brand of gear online before, search by the name printed on the gear, they are designed for conveyor belt systems, no joke.

M5

Cool thanks for your help man let me know when your back and make a run

M
Jan 14, 2004
I guess youd have to go to a longer chain to run the 17t steel gear? 6663k52. Seems like a pretty easy fix if someone had to put on a new chain anyways

A 17 would be pretty close to the track I'm thinking if anything I'd go smaller 13 or 14 as it might be a cure for the odd half link chain combos.

M5

X
Oct 6, 2010
I made mine from a XR650R Counter Sprocket.

Last year I was pretty discouraged with the stock 15 tooth idler.
I made mine from a XR650R Primary Drive Counter Sprockets from Rocky Mountain MC. And SK 6203-2RS1 Bearing

The XR650R sprocket has an extra boss on it than you chuck up on and bore out the other side. The extra thickness helps support the bearing.

I left a lip in the sprocket for the 6203-2RS1 bearing to be pressed too and maintain the proper offset. Staked it in with a laser welder.

I made 13, 14, 15 tooth idlers to be ready for any setup.:face-icon-small-coo

D
Apr 30, 2012
Idaho
Been riding ts for 6 years. Maintain tension and lube chain every ride or two and you shouldn't have a problem. I do carry a spare and never needed for myself, but have "loaned" to others who are to lazy to maintain.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
The plastic gears that TS uses are pure junk ! Do yourselves a favor and get the DOC upper chain slider and a M5 metal gear for the case. Those plastic gears were a major oversight and should of never been used imo !

M
Jan 14, 2004
I may have a steel one left here. I sold/gave away all things TS but I think I might have one sprocket left here somewhere.

M5

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
ohhhhh

When i bought my first TS kit, I had read all about the cheeesey chain tensioner, but after thoroughly wearing out two TS kits, I have never had or seen a broken or wore out Plastic idler ? I made a steel one as a backup, never used it ?

Maybe some bad chains, bad alignment, crushing gravel, not letting snow process through the chain case ? I know if you let the chain heat you will not be a happy camper, is that the issue here.

Premium Features