• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

10" Wheel kit

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Here is my plan...... (2018 Mtn Cat 162")
-Order 1/2" offset axle from TKI
-Order 10" rear skid wheels for Alpha One

Assemble on my sled!

Anyone know of something I'm not seeing here as to why this wont work? Diff in bearing size or anything?

Thx!

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
And cool temps will rise on trail. I used billetx 10" wheels on my - 15
9e440b16b841b2ba87cb84be7e52d476.jpg

Lähetetty minun K10000 Pro laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Primary reason is always rolling resistance (less) in my mind. Don't want a wheelie monster but I can re-adjust limiter and tune that aspect back to manageable. I don't mind lightening up the front end a bit more though.

Cooling issues? Hadn't thought of that. Granted in Colorado I don't have to deal with hard pack all that often but, spring time is spring time. Haven't any cooling issue at all with this sled ....including last year in low snow conditions. Hmmmm...:juggle:

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dont you need the 1 inch offset? I already did this to my, 14 with a 17 mtn cat skid, everything bolts right up!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Not sure how bigger wheels will keep temps down. Rolling resistance was a big thing 10-15 years ago before track technology changed and tracks are thinner, less plys and much more flexable than they used to be. But every little bit counts. Anyway big billet wheels look cool.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
IMO the biggest reason to do this is to get rid of that ****ty factory tri hub. if your ordering the axle through TKI id just get wheels through him also, wouldn't bother with factory plastic wheels. has two sleds in our group take out the tri hubs in the same day last season

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
Primary reason is always rolling resistance (less) in my mind. Don't want a wheelie monster but I can re-adjust limiter and tune that aspect back to manageable. I don't mind lightening up the front end a bit more though.

Cooling issues? Hadn't thought of that. Granted in Colorado I don't have to deal with hard pack all that often but, spring time is spring time. Haven't any cooling issue at all with this sled ....including last year in low snow conditions. Hmmmm...:juggle:
There is no realy cooling issues with 10" wheels but they will rise a bit.
And bigger wheels are good when you reverse, they dont dive into snow so much.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
There is no realy cooling issues with 10" wheels but they will rise a bit.
And bigger wheels are good when you reverse, they dont dive into snow so much.

I hadn’t thought about the reverse bonus. I have heard the alpha drives in reverse in powder really well.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I don't buy the wheelie claim.
You are only moving the axle forwarda little bit. Less than an inch.

Wheelies are controlled by limiter straps and suspension set-up.

I called all over the country in 2002 and NOBODY made 10" rear idlers. Nobody.
I had to talk Superbeast and Pengilly into making them for me as a one-off set.
In fact, as far as I know, I was the first one to run 10" wheels. Hardly anyone else ran them.
I ran them on my old 156 for 5 years.

I haven't heard of anybody running them for like 10 years.
Now, in the last two or three years, I've just started hearing about people starting to offer them again. I actually saw someone who said they were offering the revolutionary 10" idler wheels. HAHA....OK.

I ran then for 5 seasons and in that time I jumped up to an 1155cc twin on 50hp on nitrous. THAT made it wheelie. The 10" wheels did not.
Never discovered that I could wheelie any easier...not that I wanted to anyway. It's all in the set-up.

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
easier to ride (balance) a wheelie the bigger the back wheels get I would think. maybe that makes you the wheelie monster.
I don't get how they could make temps rise?
I think 10" is a waste unless you have the 3.5 pitch track, or you trying to suck up track length for some reason.
the single-rail alpha might need them to help keep track in line also.

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
From billetx. Difference to - 15 rear wheels
a44bad1a00c500a7c8453703b266d1cf.jpg

Premium Features