• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

pDrive CLUTCH ... ARE THERE ANY KITS OUT THERE THAT ARE SHOWN TO WORK

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
There is a lot of talk on the forums here about inconsistent clutching of the 2017 G4-850 Summits.

Some have major issues... others not.

I've seen some people showing ways they have made the situation better for their situation... and some that have done the same things without good results.... again no consistent results.

I'm not a believer that there is anything super special with this sled in terms of clutching... even with the increased power output or low end torque of the new 850 motor... as there have been plenty of other big motors without this problem.

High belt temps are belt killers... plain and simple.... and this new clutch seems to be making a lot of heat when used as designed.

So, here is my question... are there aftermarket setups, that have ACTUALLY shown before and after results, on the same day, same riding of a stock setup compared to their setup?

Something that is recording belt temps throughout the operation and checking wear patterns as well as belt positions on the clutch.

And for the bad "belt eaters" of owners on here... has anyone checked the actual alignment of the clutches... and the condition of the motor mounting system and deflection or change under load of the alignment??

Getting rid of the heat is a great idea... but NOT making it in the first place is the only way, IMO, to solve this problem.

The numbers are significant with this clutching issue... as evidenced by some measures proposed in the 2018 model release from the BRP factory release prototypes.

Arguing that this is really not a problem....that doesn't 'hold water' for me.

I'm not interested in prototype symptom management with from Doo for the 18...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I just got an email asking me why I posted up this thread...

So... I thought I'd answer that here.

I have a friend that has 2 of these machines... 2 165 G4 850's to be precise... And he has been going through belts on them.

My question and topic of this thread is a pragmatic one since he has asked me to help him.

That's why I'm reaching out here with my 'family' on the forums looking for good solutions...

I've already had him order the GNR brace kit and some other goodies for their sleds.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
In my opinion. The inconsistency comes from the engine mounts moving. Shr has a shim to install in the engine mounts to eliminate the movement. As far as clutching goes it seems that installing a 039 secondary spring and adding a bunch of weight in the primary is the way to go. It works really good on my sled. It still makes a bunch of heat but it's definitely better than stock was. I am ordering the engine mount shim to see if that helps with the heat problem even more.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Im working my little heart out on making a worthy kit for the 8 Fitty.

Getting feedback now where the information from my test gents are having similar engine speed results of the process Ive asked them to perform.

Engine speed drifting low to 7600~7700...which is gooooood. :becky:

@mountainhorse - what sled do you own/drive?

Last edited:

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah
This last weekend Mike at A&M Performance ran some comparisons for us and found a 35 degree decrease in clutch temperatures using our Tailstander weights vs using stock SkiDoo weights. (all other clutch components being the same.)

We've had nothing but positive feedback from our customers on improved performance on the top and mid range.

Steve Martin and Weekender Sports/Durmas Racing have signed off on them as well and are running them in their Gen 4's.

As those of us know coming from Polaris/Cat clutching, when you have the sled clutched properly you have no need for clickers.

rbk444

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Been trying to get hold of zrp in regards to their brp weights,,no answer ,,left message,no reply back,,talked to 2 different skidoo dealers in Utah about this product,they have zero info on them,,was informed by one dealer that they felt it is a rear clutch spring issue,,needed a tighter spring,,one dealer is going to do some more testing this weekend with hopefully some feed back after pres. day weekend

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Results: Reduced heat, much improved belt life.

I'm trying to compile a list of KITS that have been pulled together as a system to make this sled work in terms of clutching... meaning reduced heat and much increased belt life.

If a clutch is making heat... it's loosing power that could be transferred to the track... Plain and simple.

When I say kit... I'm really referring to a systematic approach to the whole 'juggling act' that is the art of snowmobile clutching.

As a system.... the belt, primary weights, primary spring, secondary spring, helix and gearing all have to work in harmony.... With the very important fact that the clutch alignment MUST remain 'workable' both at rest and when the sled is under load in challenging conditions and riding styles.

In todays world of sledding.... there are on the fly belt temp gauges, data loggers and just plain experience on the part of many kit builders.

What KITS are at this point that have been shown to work.

Last edited:

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah
Been trying to get hold of zrp in regards to their brp weights,,no answer ,,left message,no reply back,,talked to 2 different skidoo dealers in Utah about this product,they have zero info on them,,was informed by one dealer that they felt it is a rear clutch spring issue,,needed a tighter spring,,one dealer is going to do some more testing this weekend with hopefully some feed back after pres. day weekend

PM'd you my cell #.
We can be hard to reach in the winter sometimes.
Email is the best way to contact us, zrp.engineering@gmail.com, but you are more than welcome to call as well.

ZRP Engineering

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2014
Utah
I guess i should add that our clutch "kit" is just our weights with the stock springs and helix. After that gearing down is the next best clutching gain.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Bobby,

Your weights look well thought out. BTW.

With your weights, what position and weight are you finding is lowering the temps (for diff tracks and elevations) ... and what kind of temps are you seeing with this setup before/after?

Last edited:

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
I'm suprised Big John hasnt
Chimed in here..
I see a clutch kit on his SHR site that shows a weight that works with the stock clickers?
Anybody have any input on his kit?

B
Oct 22, 2014
SASK
I'm suprised Big John hasnt
Chimed in here..
I see a clutch kit on his SHR site that shows a weight that works with the stock clickers?
Anybody have any input on his kit?

the pic that rulonjj put up is big johns set up looks to me like they will work great and you can change elevation without removing the clutch for the the dual elevation option is ideal as i ride both in sask and in bc so now i can change weights without removing the clutch from sled .....the kit comes with a clutch tool that opens clutch enought to take away 6 grams of weight off of each ramp (im no clutch expert so hope this helps)

Premium Features