• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Old school RX1 Turbo tuning

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I would start with 140' mains and the rest stock.. 17.5 pilots, and the fuel scew turned out 2 turns. that might be a bit fat on the jetting, but should get you pretty dang close. just easier to start high then work down.

If you want, you can do what I did that allows for small adjustments in tuning for elevation/temp changes, jet for the coldest lowest elvation you will ride at(the most fuel you will need) and then install a bleeder valve on the pressure line running to the float bowls on the carbs, this allows you to drop a little bit of pressure to them and make minor adjustments in WOT air/fuel ratio for changes in elevation, it cant do a whole lot, as if you adjust to much you get a nasty midrange lean spot, BUT, its really nice for keeping the sled fine tuned.

also, do you have a wideband air fuel gauge?? if not GET one.. they make tuning the carb setups WAY easier if your not familiar with how they react to certain situations. After a full season on mine diagnosing with a wideband, I was able to figure mine out mostly by feal, but it took 1000 miles of riding and a LOT of tinkering to learn it all to that level.

--edit---

looks like loneman snuck in before I posted.. might want to lean it out a hair over that then.. try starting with the totally stock jetting and then see how it runs, and work from there.

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
i have a 04 with mcx front mount 16t turbo. my jetting is 127.5 and my needles clips are in 2nd slot down. get that thing dialed in and it will run with the best of them!

Loneman's sled works good. If you have the same 16t turbo I would do exactly what he said.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Totally depends on what turbo you are running and how good your air intake system is. If you don't already have one get a wideband A/F.

GT25 or 16T 135 ish

GT 28 or 19T 140 or bigger

The Rx1 doesn't mind being a bit on the fat side and it gives you a nice safety margin as well. I was running 145s I think it was on my midmount Rx1 with GT2860 with a 64 trim.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176459&highlight=midmount

M5

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
I think header design plays a pretty big role too. The mcx frontmount headers are a 3 into 1 and not as efficient as a 4 to 1 header. My BD header had me at 125's and needles dropped to the bottom with a 2860.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
my crappy turbo system I ran 115's.... but there were some other bad factors as well causing my tiny jetting situation.

the Rx1's run pretty good up into the 10:1 area pretty good, they just arent as powerful, so it will run fine way rich, but then you can come home and swap leaner, this is nice as you can be a bit fat and not have the sled be unrideable.

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
Here's a pic of mine. The boost controller is my bleed off for the float bowl pressure. I can lean out the mid range to perfection with it.

DSCF0986.JPG

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
sledfvr, thats EXACTLY how I did mine, I Just lengthened the tube and put it at the base of my steering post to make it easier to just play around with.

A

andy_09

Dec 6, 2007
Great Falls Montana
not to bring this tread back from the dead but i just bought a turbo rx-1 with a bender stage 2 turbo, the guy i bought it from rode between 4-6k feet, i ride around 6-9k i think, usually rode skyland in mt but this year thinking about riding red lion around butte and wondering what you guys would suggest i do for jetting, im gonna install an aem wideband on it later this week and see where its at

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
throw a wideband on it. see what its doing on the first ride, betting it will be a hair fat, but will still run fine, just underpowered and drink some extra fuel.

probably have to drop 2.5 on the mains as a guess.

A

andy_09

Dec 6, 2007
Great Falls Montana
ok how hard are these carbs to clean, original owner said it sat for awhile and thinks the carbs might be a little gummy, figure i got time before winter i might as well give it a good tune up,,one other thing where is the jet in the charge tube or will i need to change that? is it by the brake rotor kinda? theres a black line running from the charge tube to the carbuerators

heres a pic of the new beast lol

311978_10150307237172841_723782840_7691090_1583799004_n.jpg

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
slick, you bought that sled. looked pretty nice.

anywho.. the jet in the charge tube is to help adjust the pressure reference to the carbs, it bleeds off a little, so you jet for the richest you ever need it and can open it up more to lean it out a hair, it can only do so much before you will get a nasty lean spot when you roll into boost. there are much better ways to deal with it thought that are also easier to tune.

as far as cleaning.. very simple, remove the rack, flip it upside down and pull the float bowls off. clean away. also, if they havent, thake those gay screws that hold em off out and put in allen head screws, if you have to swap jets mroe then 1 time you will thank me... strip those out and it gets really fun to get em out..

if your interested in a walkthrough of a lot of it bring it down to bozo, i spent a LOT of time working my way through my turbo rx1 project. i feel like i met you back when i went to school in butte, or im totally off base.

A

andy_09

Dec 6, 2007
Great Falls Montana
um theres a good chance, we did alot of partyin in butte and i got some friends that went to school there, we could have met up sometime, well hell we might have to get together for a ride then so you can show me the ropes on the turbo and see how that tube chassis does

Premium Features