• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled deck pros & cons advice

Catrider144

Premium Member
Jun 1, 2012
North Dakota
I am thinking about switching from a trailer to a sled deck and I would like some honest opinions from people that have them. Both good and bad. I am on the fence if I should get one or not. Thanks for the input.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
We decided to give it a try this year and will be selling the deck shortly.

We are in MN and planned to use the deck on our trips out west to save time and get a bit better MPG's on those 2,000+ mile trips. While the deck let us run a bit quicker on the interstate (5mph) the sled catching the wind actually resulted in similar MPG's. We got back a couple weeks ago from a 3,600 mile round trip to Grizzly lodge in BC. Made the exact same trip last year pulling a 7x25 enclosed all aluminum inline. Running the deck this year we averaged .8 mpg better for the entire trip then last year pulling the trailer. But what we really noticed is how much slower the deck is to use when loading an unloading. By the time you load the sleds and the bed of the truck, put the covers on the sleds and leave vs just hooking onto the trailer and leaving since everything is already loaded and ready to go in the trailer.

If I lived closer to the mtns and didn't have to mess with the covers or all the other tools and such we bring on long trips I would love having the deck set-up. But for me personally the deck is not worth the extra hassle vs the smaller enclosed trailer.

N
Nov 27, 2007
Tacoma, Washington
If I lived closer to the mtns and didn't have to mess with the covers or all the other tools and such we bring on long trips I would love having the deck set-up. But for me personally the deck is not worth the extra hassle vs the smaller enclosed trailer.

This about sums it up....I live out west and choose to go with a deck, main reason being that any time they put up chain controls on the passes they require you to chain up your truck AND trailer. Not playing that game. With that being said, I've seen the roads in Wisconsin during the winter and there is NO WAY I'd run a deck out there.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Ive had both. The deck is GREAT for local riding and short day trips. The trailer is better for trips.

Its nice to be able to haul 2 sleds and not pull a trailer to the trail head. Plus as mentioned the chain law on mountain passes, AND some passes (Teton) dont allow trailer traffic at all in the winter.

Making a multi-day trip... the trailer is still better to store gear, work on sleds, dry stuff out (if you have heat).

Depending on your truck/trailer set-up you could see no mileage gain, or as much as 4-5mpg. When I pull my 24ftx8.5 enclosed I get 9 mpg, with my deck I could get 14 mpg.

dboe03

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2014
Fargo, ND
Very interesting and thanks for the write up. Must admit that I've been jealous of the sled deck owners as I've always had the idea that you could really just haul the mail with those. Now maybe that wasn't the correct thinking!

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
I love my deck but than again its a truckboss. put 2 36" summits up on top and push the sides in tight and its hardly wider than the truck. I drive 85 in nd and 90 in montana. but don't buy one to save on fuel unless you keep the speed down

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Ive had both. The deck is GREAT for local riding and short day trips. The trailer is better for trips.

Its nice to be able to haul 2 sleds and not pull a trailer to the trail head. Plus as mentioned the chain law on mountain passes, AND some passes (Teton) dont allow trailer traffic at all in the winter.

Making a multi-day trip... the trailer is still better to store gear, work on sleds, dry stuff out (if you have heat).

Depending on your truck/trailer set-up you could see no mileage gain, or as much as 4-5mpg. When I pull my 24ftx8.5 enclosed I get 9 mpg, with my deck I could get 14 mpg.

Totally agree. I have not owned a deck but I have several buddies with them. I'm not really a fan myself. Its a pain in the butt to load up and throw covers on.

I like an enclosed trailer and little propane heater a lot better myself.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I have a flatbed for hauling sleds, keeps them lower for less drag and lower center of gravity. My truck takes a fuel economy hit with two sleds but it is no where near the hit for towing. This is with a half ton gasser. I don't think I'll ever have a standard box pickup again.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
The way I look at it is that trailers are for guys who don't ride much or live places where it doesn't snow much. I could never imagine using a trailer to ride unless it was a for a multiday trip and I was staying in it(I have a toy hauler so I do) or maybe if I only rode a day or two a month.

You can not use trailers in early season or late season, sled deck you can get to the snow line with ease and not have to worry about getting stuck or getting turned around.

We get a lot of snow here, I can't tell you how many days I've parked in a "snopark" and the snow is so deep my door drags in the snow as I open it, f350 on 35's so the door is off the ground a bit. You're dreaming if you think you can get in and out with a trailer without getting stuck.

Chain requirements for trailers.

Reduced speed limits for trailers.

Limited parking for trailers.

Passing, again, no problem with a deck, with a trailer you get to sit in the line of traffic stuck behind the prius going 25mph all the up the pass.

Blow-outs - had to drag my toy hauler back from the jackson isoc round on 3 tires because I didn't want to wait monday morning to get it repaired.

Like mentioned above, I can slide my deck in tight against the skis to reduce drag some but with two sleds it still does knock mpg down, especially over 65mph.

I will admit, getting back to a trailer at the end of the day and being able to crank the heat on and change is pretty nice.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I do a ton of solo travel as most of my riding buddies don't live anywhere near me. I picked up 2-3mpg with a deck over a 2 place open trailer with a salt shield.

Last week 4 of us took 6 sleds out west, 2 on the deck, 4 in a Triton 4 place. I have to admit, the trailer was GREAT to toss all your gear in at the end of the day to keep the interior of the truck from getting beat to hell. I can see the trailer being a pain in the *** unless you get to the parking lots early (luckily we do).

I don't think you can replace a deck with a trailer for early or late season riding, but the conveniences of the enclosed are impossible to beat with a deck.

Think about where you like to ride, how many of you there are and what time of year.

I have not tried an inline enclosed trailer yet.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Where we live an enclosed trailer for driving 1200 miles out west is a no brainier. Plus we can get a lot beer in there. :face-icon-small-dis :)

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Both have their places. Over the years have had 2 place open trailer, 2 pl enclosed, then added a deck to haul 2 more or just 2 sleds bobtail and currently have a 4 place that is like a garage for the 4 sleds and snowbike.

Had the deck in AK. Great there, roads froze solid most of the time, so no mess and crusty covers like on an open trailer or down here where it's snushy all the time.
Big trailer sucks for small snowparks, good luck turning it around etc.
Deck is convienent but hassle to load and unload all the time.
Don't need the room of a big trailer again now except for storage, really. Thinking about a deck again but then I'd have to make room for 3-4 machines indoors for storage.

It's like truck camper vs travel trailer vs motorhome. None are the best for all conditions. But truck campers and sled decks get more cool points than trailers !!

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I’m tossing around the idea of a sled deck again. I had a ToyUp and used it for 3-4 seasons and absolutely loved it my only complaint is the sides of the deck didn’t slide in and out. If I go back to a deck it’ll be a truckboss. I had the enclosed trailer and loved it and last year I just threw my sled in the back of my truck. I hate the deck because of climbing up and fueling and jumping back down and I hate trying to park somewhere in town after riding when we’re gojng somewhere to eat. Both have their pros and cons!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The truck boss is sweet, get the cargo box too. Slide all the gear out, no crawling up under the deck. With all the accessories ur over $7k.

I like the hydraulic flat bed but $9k!
Then the only storage u have is around the tires and u have to lift the bed to access.

2 sleds up on the deck definitely sucks up the fuel. Very comparable to towing a 3/4 place enclosed.

I have a single deck in the bed of my truck for riding solo. Hardly affects mileage.

I also have a 2 sled deck, a 2 place open trailer and an enclosed 8.5x21.

I let my brother use the sled deck. I hardly tow either trailer. But when i do use them i am happy with how they work. Would give any of them up. They all serve a purpose.

Premium Features