• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 Pro RMK throttle really stiff

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Mine was pretty stiff for a while.
A year or two ago, I discovered that a hard hit had popped the assembly block open. I loosened things up, crimped it back together and never had anymore problems until I popped it out again another time. At least I knew what to look for the second time.

Last edited:

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Mine was pretty stiff for a while.
A year or two ago, I discovered that a hard hit had popped the assembly block open. I loosened things up, crimped it back together and never had anymore problems until I popped it out again another time. At least I knew what to look for the second time.
This is exactly what is going on with my 2015... tighten up the screw to keep the throttle block from rotating and the throttle gets stiff to the point of sticking if tightened enough to keep it from rotating... Toby Shepherd (sp?) sells a carbon fiber reinforcement for the throttle block that fits axys and pro-ride chassis throttle blocks. Plan on ordering one myself.

agalen

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Helena, MT
sledhead, did that resolve the issue or was it something else?? I had the same issue this past weekend, kinda annoying to ride with a floppy throttle block or a throttle that sticks.......any help is appreciated!

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
sledhead, did that resolve the issue or was it something else?? I had the same issue this past weekend, kinda annoying to ride with a floppy throttle block or a throttle that sticks.......any help is appreciated!
Long story short... well, maybe not so short. After 900+ miles on this sled (was also riding my 860 Dragon during the time I owned this until last winter), this issue finally screwed me out of a days riding, last Friday.

I recently ordered the carbon fiber reinforcement from Shepherd Industries and had two problems. The one end of the reinforcement would not fit into the stock "plate" (item 6 in parts picture) that screws to the throttle block (item 5). Filed the round "boss" on the reinforcement slowly with a diamond file and tried to fit it over and over again; this was not a bur but just a fitment problem, he made these reinforcement plates for the Axys, perhaps it is a different sized hole. Even when I finally got it to where I thought I could make it fit by screwing it in, the other end of the reinforcement would not line up with the other side of the "plate" (item 6)... my throttle block (item 5) had been spread apart so long that it had apparently distorted this plate as well as the throttle block itself. Worse yet even when I removed the set screw (item 12), I can't get the lower part of the block (item 11) to even budge. Tried to pop it all back together with no success. After this went to go riding and after this monkeying around the throttle safety switch was now causing the engine to not rev up... so I could not get the sled off the trailer. Tried to bypass the TSS with the tools and junk I had with me, to no avail.

I also noticed the pivoting of the throttle block had started to worry through one of the hand grip warmer wires... so it needs to be fixed before it wrecks the hand warmer wiring...

So I recommend getting the reinforcement if your throttle block has not already distorted like mine. If you can take the plate (item 6) off, take the set screw out of the lower block, and either get the lower block (item 11) to pop into place or get it to come out so you can reassemble it properly, then the reinforcement plate should work for you (with maybe a bit of filing to fit). If it is like mine and has distorted then making it work without replacing the upper throttle block (item 5) and plate (item 6) would be a fight... might need to clamp and heat it or something or just buy a new one. And then use the reinforcement to keep it from happening again.

I happen to have a Munster finger throttle I picked up cheap last spring, my plan is to try this before going back to fixing the factory throttle system somehow... I still have to pry the factory block off there somehow (the lower throttle block will not come out with all my persuasion I have tried so far), and I have to install the tether I bought (for safety since it bypasses the TSS) and probably put on the Axys hand guards I have on the shelf to make sure it won't get whacked with a branch.

Sorry for the long story, the moral is fix it ASAP before it costs you a day of riding. And second moral is to have a TSS bypass with you at all times just in case; could save you a spoiled day and maybe a long walk out.

https://www.shepherdind.com/product-page/polaris-throttle-support/

Attachments

• throttleblock.JPG
    throttleblock.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 25
Premium Features