• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Parking for Snowy Range?

S
Jan 28, 2008
Denver, CO
Thinking about going to snowy range this weekend. Ive never been there. Does anyone care to share some info - where to park, where is it fun to go, etc. Thanks for any advice!

S
Nov 30, 2007
From Denver the easiest way to get to the snow is to go up to Chey then west to Laramie then west on 130 thru Cenntenial. Get a map at Cenntenial then head up the hill and park at the Green Rock parking area which is really just along the highway right east of the turnaround loop. You can loop around the mountain clockwise on trails U, N, NO and O. Most places around and inside this loop have the best snow, especially north and west. Don't know what the snow is like but U (southside of loop, actually 130) usually is bare in spots and O (NE part of loop) gets blown off also.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Take 130 out of laramie towards centennial.
When the road stops, unload your sleds.
Seriously, the road will stop. There is a turn around (with an outhouse) and a REALLY wide spot to park at.
You can go past the turn around but the road only goes to the lodge and he maintains that part of the road in the winter. This time of year it can be hit or miss if it's cleared. If it is you can go on up and turn around and park up there. Turning around with a large trailer can get interesting though.

As for where to go, I personally am going to avoid widow maker and the really steep areas. With all the spring snow they have gotten on top of the concrete I am staying off em.

Stay off Libby Flats if the wind is high (that is a REALLY open area you will see if you take the trail west). The world can go away pretty fast on libby and they have had some people get completely lost.

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
There are plenty of wonderful places to ride in Colorado. Why spend the extra time traveling to Wyoming to ride! The Snowies are already overpopulated as it is! It's getting worse evry year. Tog, Cooke, Big Horns already @ full capacity.

A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
There are plenty of wonderful places to ride in Colorado. Why spend the extra time traveling to Wyoming to ride! The Snowies are already overpopulated as it is! It's getting worse evry year. Tog, Cooke, Big Horns already @ full capacity.

Yeah i think there were 6 trucks including our 2? Packed!!!!

W
Dec 1, 2007
WYOMING

You are dead right on this.. I'm lucking enough to be able to ride during the week.. To many greenies up here on the weekends. not worth it..:D

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
Must have hit a nerve

Ok guys, simmer down. Right now it is nice, but you know exactly what I mean! Not trying to start a fight, just telling the truth. The Snowies have become way overpopulated in the last 5-10 years. People still aren't finding where I ride so it really doesn't matter to me! The state of Colorado is awesome, you guys have over 50 mountains above 14,000 feet! I know a lot of these are not rideable areas, but that number is something to be proud of. If i was against out-of-staters I wouldn't have given advice to people moving out here or telling Anti-Hero thank you for keeping an eye out for my b.d. box! Comparing mid April-mid May numbers is not what we're talking about. Anyways, have fun out there.

A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
Ok guys, simmer down. Right now it is nice, but you know exactly what I mean! Not trying to start a fight, just telling the truth. The Snowies have become way overpopulated in the last 5-10 years. People still aren't finding where I ride so it really doesn't matter to me! The state of Colorado is awesome, you guys have over 50 mountains above 14,000 feet! I know a lot of these are not rideable areas, but that number is something to be proud of. If i was against out-of-staters I wouldn't have given advice to people moving out here or telling Anti-Hero thank you for keeping an eye out for my b.d. box! Comparing mid April-mid May numbers is not what we're talking about. Anyways, have fun out there.

I was just joking a bit, you know. and it is packed everywhere is packed,CO or WY the fact is the snowies are the best riding for the driving distance. And agreed like you said most day we don't even see another sled until we are riding back to the trucks. so i really do not care, but there are some people that should take a parking class on how to park there rigs. And as said before if i locate that bd box i'll let you know, and you might owe me a beer.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Actually, it is closer to go to the snowies for me than anywhere in colorado, plus I don't have to deal with the nutjob skiers.

The snowies are getting more popular because sledding is getting more popular. That and with them shutting down more and more access the people are just moving to another riding area. On a typical ride once you get a couple hundred yards off the trail you don't really see anyone. The areas around north french creek, widow maker and that area are pretty much pounded, but they are also the easiest to access.

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
You guys are cool!

Yeah, the parking etiquette up there is horrible. Someone deficated on my tire a few years back. Maybe he/she drank too much beer and couldn't make it to the outhouse! It's fun to chat on here when you are talking to respectable people such as yourselves. Hope to see you guys up there sometime. I'll buy you both a beer or two or three...hope you guys can hit these last couple of weeks for riding. Stay cool!

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
There is a proposal being put forward to build a new parking lot.
The only question is where.
The forest service had wanted to put the lot at a lower elevation. They were doing some timber work and it would be easy to put he new lot there.
The problem was that
A. the lot was a lower elevation.
B. we wouldn't be able to use the lot unless they groomed a trail. if the grooming was over, so was the riding.
C. The only trail (you had to stay on the trail) ran thru a proposed wilderness area.
D. The parking lot and trail would put us in direct confict with the skiers and snow shoers.

We proposed they build the lot up past the Snowy Mountain lodge. Don't know what happened with the proposal, haven't heard anything since last summer.

As for riding this year.
We have at least 3 more good rides in. Gotta ride into June, if for no other reason than for bragging rights.

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
Before you know it, we'll be in shorts and flip flops in stead of long underwear and boots. Unbelievable. I've road Cooke City into June quite some time back, but nothing this late for a while. What do you think about the new warming hut addition over on "T" trail I believe it is heading towards Libby Flats? Really good for the trail/barely off trail riders I thought. Have fun this weekend. Be up there if I can.

Y

Yamahamod

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jun 8, 2008
In my Bunker
www.facebook.com

Yea your right take the sleds right up I 70 if you like to be there by lunch. lol

Premium Features