• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Real 850 Feedback from you guys!

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
We ride 2000-4500' most of the time, and get alot of wet heavy snow. If we use polaris clutching on the 850's we use 72g and that's about 8100-8300 rpm. I have been up to 6500' in dry light snow conditions and sill pulling 8000-8100 with the 72g.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Just to clarify, your 850’s are running 72 gram Polaris weights at 6000’, stock. I’m missing something here.
Along with it stays with a 10# turbo.
I need some video.

I wondered how long before someone would wave the flag. Hahaha

N
Jan 11, 2008
Spokane, WA
Just to clarify, your 850’s are running 72 gram Polaris weights at 6000’, stock. I’m missing something here.
Along with it stays with a 10# turbo.
I need some video.

Thats what our Polaris dealer set the weights to, I did measure them as they were balanced to 71.9 to be exact. Im using your turbo helix with indy turbo 3 weights, 3 magnets in the tip and 3 in the middle hole turning 8250. Usually spins 8450 but the snow was heavy so down slightly also using the gates belt. My sled pulled away slightly on the top end maybe a sled length.

I dont really have any reason to lie about it. My brothers sled with the pro quick drive gears pulls really hard its very impressive, I have ridden it quite a bit.

Edit: Obviously are sleds are not setup for drag racing across a lake but it was something we just did for fun.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Thats what our Polaris dealer set the weights to, I did measure them as they were balanced to 71.9 to be exact. Im using your turbo helix with indy turbo 3 weights, 3 magnets in the tip and 3 in the middle hole turning 8250. Usually spins 8450 but the snow was heavy so down slightly also using the gates belt. My sled pulled away slightly on the top end maybe a sled length.

I dont really have any reason to lie about it. My brothers sled with the pro quick drive gears pulls really hard its very impressive, I have ridden it quite a bit.

Edit: Obviously are sleds are not setup for drag racing across a lake but it was something we just did for fun.

That’s impressive 72g weights. I surly wasn’t questioning your intergrity. I thought it may be a fat finger problem.
PM me your turbo setup. Wondering what springs your running with the 46-32F helix.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I got some 66 and 64 for elevations mine has hard time pulling 68.9 stock weights at 6000 ft. I will fine tune when i think its broke in.

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Came over from a 15 pro with alt impact front end. It was a dog for 20 miles or so and has been great since. 60 miles in, all mountain other than a few laps around the lake when I bought it. Front end feels familiar but not the same - it's better because of lighter chassis, new suspension, and more power. Loving it so far.

Last edited:

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Me too. Had a short ride with a guy this week on one, Said it would run with a turbo. Didn;t realize I was sitting on a turbo, didn't run with mine.
Only have a couple hours on my wife's 163, Have to admit for a bone stock sled it is very impressive, but is no turbo killer.

Yea I have a 16 axys with mtntk turbo and while I have not compared it to the 850 pro my buddy has 2 850 doos and the axys with turbo is much more powerful. I cant see a stock 850 competing with a 200hp turbo sled. I am talking both rider equivalent. It might be close in a drag race but not a deep steep climb where power really comes into play.

Last edited:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Yea I have a 16 axys with mtntk turbo and while I have not compared it to the 850 pro my buddy has 2 850 doos and the axys with turbo is much more powerful. I cant see a stock 850 competing with a 200hp turbo sled. I am talking both rider equivalent. It might be close in a drag race but not a deep steep climb where power really comes into play.
It can be done. Not being a smart ass and I wouldn't have believed it either until I saw it with my own two eyes.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Yup, I can believe it. Probably more dependent on the situation turbos actually choke the motor a bit and make less on the bottom.

On a different note, got two rides on mine now, continues to get better and better. I think polaris hit a home run with this one. The power is smoother, comes on more subtly, and it just gets on top of the snow and goes. Was right there with my buddies turbo viper all day today.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Update on mine.... 300 ish kms... cant rember.. 22 hrs for shure all mtn kms no trail lots of wot... had the no start thing once, had a bunch of snow under the pipe when i shut it off, had to hold the throttle open, cleared the snow pulled 15 ish times total.. prob about 6 before i cleared the snow. Started up and ran good after that. Overall really impressed sled pulls amasing no probs at all aside from the one time no start thing... i could see a re-flash in the future for all the 850's

B

brett soluk

Oct 19, 2016
15hrs/250miles. Noticed oil line on bottom end popped off and oil everywhere. At the dealer and pics sent to polaris. Waiting for response back. Love the power and handling of the 850. But question the durability now.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Put the oil line back on and run it tell it blows the crank out the side.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
It can be done. Not being a smart ass and I wouldn't have believed it either until I saw it with my own two eyes.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

LOL. There is always one.

I haven't seen it.

If you are so sure about this, how are none of the RMSHA guys just running their stock 850s in the open mod class?

They aren't. And they won't.

Its the silliest arguement of all time.

If we are talking "poor running turbos" or "old generation turbos" or "bad rider vs good rider" - well, that's like comparing an old RX-7 to a modern Mustang GT350 or something...with the Stig driving the GT350 and some yahoo "I played Grand Turismo for too many hours as a teenager" driving the RX-7. A silly comparison. You have to keep things somewhat like-for-like to make any meaningful comparison. Otherwise, what is the point?

Line up an 850 patriot stock vs an 850 patriot (or 800HO) with a modern turbo. Riding the turbo is like a different sport. Yes, I've ridden all three.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I'm
here at West Yellowstone really leaned hard on the 850 with 64 gram weights ran 8350 at 10000 ft in really good snow

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
I'm
here at West Yellowstone really leaned hard on the 850 with 64 gram weights ran 8350 at 10000 ft in really good snow

What r u running for rpm at 8-9k? I'm in Cooke running 68g and getting around 8150 +/- . That's mostly around 8500-9500. Completely stock setup. I'm out of break in now and it picked up a cpl hundred rpm. Snow is poor but the sled rips. Love the new front end. I have around 15 hours and 200 miles on it. Outside of being extremely rich and turdlike for the first cpl hours, I absolutely love it. Havent had a single problem that doesnt involve rocks and a arms. I'm coming from a 16' turbo axys for comparison. Trying to decide whether I bolt on the silber kit when I get home or keep my warranty. - (also the reason the sled is still bone stock with factory clutching)

D
Feb 2, 2018
LOL. There is always one.

I haven't seen it.

If you are so sure about this, how are none of the RMSHA guys just running their stock 850s in the open mod class?

They aren't. And they won't.

Its the silliest arguement of all time.

If we are talking "poor running turbos" or "old generation turbos" or "bad rider vs good rider" - well, that's like comparing an old RX-7 to a modern Mustang GT350 or something...with the Stig driving the GT350 and some yahoo "I played Grand Turismo for too many hours as a teenager" driving the RX-7. A silly comparison. You have to keep things somewhat like-for-like to make any meaningful comparison. Otherwise, what is the point?

Line up an 850 patriot stock vs an 850 patriot (or 800HO) with a modern turbo. Riding the turbo is like a different sport. Yes, I've ridden all three.

The Stig:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
https://www.google.com/search?q=the...ved=0ahUKEwim9dbyt-TfAhUFGewKHUSlDx4Q_AUIDigB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stig

the_stig_cutout.jpg

Premium Features