• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avid/Polaris drivers

nibrandon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2015
Roberts, MT
So, if I am reading this right, stock polaris 2.86 7 tooth drivers (QD sled) work fine on 3.0 pitch tracks, and as such don't require aftermarket drivers to run a 3.0 track, just the removal of the center driver. That being the case, I would also assume you don't necessarily need an anti stab kit, correct, since you aren't changing the driver to skid geometry or angle? So essentially I could throw a 3.0 track on my sled (2.6 QD) with no other new parts? Does that sound like the correct line of thought?

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
So, if I am reading this right, stock polaris 2.86 7 tooth drivers (QD sled) work fine on 3.0 pitch tracks, and as such don't require aftermarket drivers to run a 3.0 track, just the removal of the center driver. That being the case, I would also assume you don't necessarily need an anti stab kit, correct, since you aren't changing the driver to skid geometry or angle? So essentially I could throw a 3.0 track on my sled (2.6 QD) with no other new parts? Does that sound like the correct line of thought?
or get a center punched track and leave in the enter driver

polarisperformance

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Québec
Dave,
I’ll see if I can get a seven tooth Polaris to compare. The 2.86 in the pic is an 8 tooth.

Rough measuring, Avid 3” 7 tooth circumference is 19 7/8”
Polaris 3” 7 tooth circumference is 20 7/8”
The 7 tooth polaris 2.86 driver is exactly 19.88" circumference.

Last edited:

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
How does the polaris 7T 2.86 drivers match up with a 3" pitch track is what im wondering

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Looks like im not going to worry about drivers when i do a 3” pitch track next year

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
Just a heads up.

Tracks stretch under load there for I would think if all teeth are equally touching before the stretch that as the track stretches that it won’t drop all the way down into the driver and the track would climb out of the driver and skip under heavy loads. May not be a problem on stock sleds but I bet it will be on turboed sleds. Engineers have been designing drivers to have slightly different pitch then the track pitch it’s desgned for to compensate for stretch.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
As a track stretch’s it will move the following driver lug further away from a track lug. With that said a driver that contacts track lugs would be crucial. Engineer designs don’t always work in the real world, as we have witnessed again of late.

Let’s ask Indy Dan about his drivers. They are fast.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Well if the diameter of the polaris 7T 2.86 and the avid 7T 3 are the same size, or the polaris even being slightly bigger as indicated above then it shouldnt be an issue

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
If anyone can confirm 3" pitch track on 8 tooth 2.86" pitch Avid drivers will work let me know.
I know a 3" pitch will work on the stock 8t 2.86" pitch polaris drivers but the avid driver is a completely different animal and I dont wanna be the guinea pig.

Premium Features