• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

No spark?? Help

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
I have a 05 900efi cat. I rode it two months ago without any issues and it always starts on the third pull when cold. (Been inside my garage since) I went to start it a few days back and nothing... Pulled the plugs checked for spark and nothing... I would get a dim flicker from the brake light and head light when pulling the motor over. I went through and cleaned/lubed all the electrical connection and during that found my thumb heater and right side handle bar heater wires had been cut so I cut them all and put a wire nut on them thinking it may be causing a ground issue. I then went and borrowed a coil off of another king cat and still no spark... Not sure what to do next... Any help would be great.

Wesarmey@hotmail.com

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
Think it's the stator. I removed just wait to figure out where to send it for repair. Any ideas?

C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
About the only way it is the stator is if you broke a pull rope and it wrapped around and broke a wire. My guess is fuel pump.

As for spark, it is really hard to see, if your light is coming on I am betting you have spark. Grab the plug and have someone pull it, you will know if you have spark or not. :)

S
Jun 20, 2013
My M1000 did the same exact thing you're explaining two years ago. After changing coils, the stater, chasing plugs and wires, computer ect. I had to replace the whole wiring harness. :crazy: thought i was gonna go crazy. Hope this helps!

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
Ok guys I finally received a new stator and installed it tonight. Guess what...still no spark....... It's seams like its something simple that's keeping it from sending spark... I used my test light and can't get any power any where while cranking the motor over.. Does the fuel pump have a relay in it that could be bad or a safety switch somewhere?? Any help would be great.:face-icon-small-sad

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
spark

Not to doubt your abilities but I would unplug the heaters in case you messed something up or there is an unseen short. Same on hood harness and as mentioned above tail light. Key switch, anything you can eliminate and it still run. Also dead man switch. Sounds like you have access to another sled. Try unplugging things on it 1 at a time to see what you can eliminate and still have it run.

Last edited:
C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
I went through and cleaned/lubed all the electrical connection and during that found my thumb heater and right side handle bar heater wires had been cut so I cut them all and put a wire nut on them thinking it may be causing a ground issue.

There is a throttle position type sensor on the right side, was it cut as well. There is a way to bypass most of the wiring, you plug a bypass into the brown and yellow I believe on the main harness down by the pull starter.

Are you sure you are getting gas?? When you pull it, does your headlight light up at all? Does your EFI pressurize?? Having an EFI with a bad fuel pump, sure sounds similar. Grab your plug and have someone pull it. :)

R
Don't buy a stator from RMstator!!! It didn't last a year and in order to obtain warranty, I had to send $50!!!! That is not warranty!!!
So $50 plus shipping there, just buy from a reputable company.
My 2 cents.

Premium Features