• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A little trouble shooting, questions

S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
Have the non-intercooled 2012 Turbo on my 11' Pro.
400 miles or so on the turbo, 1100 on the sled.
Running 6-7lbs of boost.

In 2-3' of fresh pow, decent base. 20 second pull, on/off the throttle at the top after WOT pulls, back into throttle and the sled seems to load up/retard it's timing. Go back down a hill, repull, does it again. Any ideas?

S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
spoke with installer

A few weeks back I was getting some det issues. Jared Sessions from BD rode with us shortly after and realized that my mid-range fuel settings were way too lean. Too bad I or my dealer hadn't picked that up soon. I hope that didn't hurt my reeds or piston rings.
After speaking with my dealer/installer his initial thought was possible bad plugs. I will see, riding in the am with him.

Would be good to see what everyone has for fuel settings. I am riding 8500-10000'.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I'm really hoping your sled runs all year! Dan let's meet up next month

T
Jan 2, 2012
Believe it or not, I had the same problem today on long pulls. I am running a racepack three windowed gauge and am monitoring water, exhaust gas temp.and charge tube temperature. What was incredibly surprising is that very sensitive water gauge, much more so than stock, would suddenly surge, momentarily, to 200 or more degrees and the timing would immediately lay down. It was very much as if the cooling system suddenly quit flowing, built heat, and then began to flow again. However, I think it is far more likely that, under boost, perhaps I am pushing air into the cooling system I.e. bad o ring or perhaps slipping the impeller or belt etc. when this happened multiple times, I began to watch the water gauge on long pulls, replicated the problem and then would simply feather the throttle down, water would flow or air would leave the system and water temp would visibly drop immediately and timing would return.
This phenomenon happened quickly enough that it was not apparent on the stock gauge which reacts far more slowly and which I was running simultaneous with the other gauge. It was really enlightening to be able to watch this happen real time and then be able to replicate it. I will post later the fix that I come up with.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
Oh, it is running and will continue.

Chris,
Been a great year, despite the fairly limited snow here in Utah. We have done a fair amount of travel all over the west to find fresh. After riding the stock 2013, compared to my Turbo, it's like going back and riding a 500. It will astound most with the differences.

I'm really hoping your sled runs all year! Dan let's meet up next month

S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
Symptoms persist, in the powder

Had the sled out again today. Great on the trail (who cares about that anyway)? Get into the powder load the motor, generate some heat, end of a reasonable pull and it bogs. Pulled the side panel off (air intake side) and symptoms were the same. It's not the fuel (added 3 addl gallons of 110) and it's not the plugs (replaced those last night).
Ideas?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Believe it or not, I had the same problem today on long pulls. I am running a racepack three windowed gauge and am monitoring water, exhaust gas temp.and charge tube temperature. What was incredibly surprising is that very sensitive water gauge, much more so than stock, would suddenly surge, momentarily, to 200 or more degrees and the timing would immediately lay down. It was very much as if the cooling system suddenly quit flowing, built heat, and then began to flow again. However, I think it is far more likely that, under boost, perhaps I am pushing air into the cooling system I.e. bad o ring or perhaps slipping the impeller or belt etc. when this happened multiple times, I began to watch the water gauge on long pulls, replicated the problem and then would simply feather the throttle down, water would flow or air would leave the system and water temp would visibly drop immediately and timing would return.
This phenomenon happened quickly enough that it was not apparent on the stock gauge which reacts far more slowly and which I was running simultaneous with the other gauge. It was really enlightening to be able to watch this happen real time and then be able to replicate it. I will post later the fix that I come up with.

That's very interesting. Where is the sending unit for your Racepak? Is this a new symptom? How many miles?

T
Jan 2, 2012
That's very interesting. Where is the sending unit for your Racepak? Is this a new symptom? How many miles?

Water probe is mounted in water exiting the head. I also monitor both cylinders egts and my charge tube temperature. This symptom was brand new. 1500 miles. I run an additional heat exchanger. Found that when new inline probe mount was installed, sled wasn't properly burped. As i suspected, air was in the cooling system. No real revelation. Fixed in 90 seconds. No new lessons learned. Humility is a great quality.

R

rmk700rules

Oct 17, 2009
for what its worth i had a problem with my 07 dragon rmk doing the same thing before i turboed it and the damn snow deflector for the exhaust had been broken off and it was getting pipe plug, would be climbing and it would fall flat on its ***, then it would come back then go. replaced that little cheap *** deflector and it worked great, so just for what its worth

S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
This is a tunnel dump exhaust

After doing some BD box fuel checks. I realized my mid to upper RPMS Fuel settings are way too high. Almost 10+ higher than the low elevation setting/rec's per BD. Going out tomorrow and will have some insight to share after the ride. Tough snow tomorrow though, so we'll see.

for what its worth i had a problem with my 07 dragon rmk doing the same thing before i turboed it and the damn snow deflector for the exhaust had been broken off and it was getting pipe plug, would be climbing and it would fall flat on its ***, then it would come back then go. replaced that little cheap *** deflector and it worked great, so just for what its worth

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
What's your thoughts on the intercooler? Is it help for even just 7-8lbs? Or does the cold air intake do enough?

Premium Features