• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

loose throttle cable/too much free play

W
Sep 26, 2014
Hi ...I have a 15 m8000 ... my throttle free play seems like it is too much or loose...so I looked in the service manual on cats site...I am a little confused. I have loosed the nut and I am not sure how to actually change the cable tension...am I missing something...I see that there is a rubber sleeve about a foot up the cable and there is a connection there that is threaded and seems like it could be adjusted there...help? I did a search and was unsuccessful...if some one could point me to a link that would be great or describe how to that would be awesome.....I feel like I have made this harder than it is...done it before on other sleds:help: thanks!

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
slide back the rubber boot on the cable about a foot from the throttle bodies loosen the nut, notice the other side has a hex on the body spin it out to shorten the cable spin it in to make it longer then jamb the nut tight. make sure to not have it too tight or the throttle safety switch will not have enough slack to engage. you need about a credit card thickness in slack to make it work.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
You only want about the thickness of a credit card between the block on the handlebar and the lever before it starts pulling the throttle cable.

J
Jan 7, 2017
I would have to go out and look but where at the block do you measure? I don't believe the throttle lever touches the block fully closed in most areas so even full tight you may have more then a Card. Also should you hear the click of the switch as soon as you hit the throttle? I have always just done mine by feel.

To the OP adjusting it is very easy just like the above poster mentioned.

Premium Features