• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 Mountain Cat opinions?

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
take a look at the exhaust only 2 pipes out the bottom of the belly pan.

Dont know what your looking at but I see three exhaust pipes. Cant tell if its a 1M though. All these post on this thread yet you cant hardly give these things away. Unreal.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I cannot for the life of me see the pipes, Let alone 3! Are you guys able to stop the video? Or am I just that blind? It does sound like a tripple, Very high revving sound! I guess with that extra engine weight upfront with pipes it is able to carry itself very well! I guess that one extra 3.75" piston and a extra 100+ BHP in that extra hole does the job!!!

Mike

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Now, For you guy's in the know, What was one of your best upgrades power wise? I mean you could feel the difference! single pipe and muffler, Twin pipes, Reeds, Porting, Or head? Is there more problems with these engines if spun higher to 7800-8000+ Rather than the 7300-7400 stock RPM? If going to the higher RPM means less dependability, Is it worth it by the offset in power gain?

Thanks
Mike

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
lol, that triple ^^ was by far the best power mod :D

For the twins, a single pipe was quite noticeable, the head and reeds mostly just cleaned up throttle response. Then the big bore to M1000 pistons doesn't seem to have hurt reliability at all. Our single pipes spin a little faster than stock and it doesn't seem to be a problem, but we're only ~7600 RPM.

We may try a set of twins this season, but we're not on stock bore sleds, so it may be different.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
SLP twins have responded well on all the 8/900's ive installed them on, and they arent any more tempermental than an aftermarket single IMO.

Probably done 20-30+ installs of speedwerx and SLP singles, heads/reeds

half a dozen SLP twin setups (both stock motors and head/reed combos 8-8200rpm)

About 4-5 big bores, not a huge diffrence but usually more grunt.

$ for $ SLP twins have been the best mod, really respond well on these motors!

Last edited:

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
The twin pipes give a lot of gain for the money but you have to get MORE air to it 8200 over the stock 7400 is a HUGE air flow change. the big bore gives more grunt but need bigger carbs and some porting to get the full output so the cost for performance is the twins. as for motor reliability there is a reason you see so many large big bore motors on this bottom end.:eek: and not a lot of poo or doo 1000 to 1150's:cool:

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
Love how these chassis still keep a thread going!!!

Best mod i did for the short time i got to was the timbersled skid outta my rev into the beast!! The ski lift was ALMOST in check for once, just wish my motor hadnt been so molested and unreliable. But thats not the sleds fault

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
When was this transferred over? Glad to see we have our own 900 forum! The other day I replaced the recoil rope with a REI rope and a later model guide. While I was at it I removed the Y pipe as it had a leak on the Mag side. Turned out it was improperly welded at the flange/lead pipe connection. Inside at the 2.5" opening is a ring with a V notch top and bottom reducing the size to 2.37" dia. Does anyone know what these V notches are for and why they reduced it to the smaller size? For added low end torque? Or is it emission oriented? I sanded off the welds at the face and removed it, Is this a bad idea?

Mike

D
Dec 10, 2008
i picked one of those up mid season when my mod @3it the bed again they work really well in the steep and deep but are hard on you on the trail in and out. I picked it up for the engine but the sled hangs right there with the 800s other than 09 M8, those i wasnt close to.

Good sled, great motor wont let you down. suspension sucks, seat is really low

My .02

I am sorry but I have a 04 kk lightly moded and i can wipe my @$$ with the m8 and some m10s.

if you get used to the sled they are easy to carve.

T
Dec 6, 2007
Central Alberta
2 eight in. wheels in back, 2 small 2.75" inside mtd wheels in the radius upfront to replace the outside wheels. Leave the inner mid mtd. wheels and gut the shock pivot of the heavy steel shaft, Long bolt and steel sleeve. Replace with 5/8 aluminum bar with bolts at ea. end. Also moved the outside stiffening plates to the inside by swapping sides and cutting the cross brace by .50" Looks cleaner and just as effective! Note: You have an extra cross brace up front by the limiter straps for just such purposes.

Mike

Hey 1Mike900,

Do you have any pics of your front idler wheels, with your aluminum bar setup?

thanks,

tekim :D

PS, love the thread,

R
Nov 20, 2009
Fort St.John, BC
New Guy

Hey guys, first post for me here.

I just finished reading this entire thread. Tons of great info! I am looking at possibly picking up a used 2004 900 1M in a couple weeks. I am trying to find out as much as I can about the machine ahead of time. From what I've read, everyone really seems to love them. Thats great to hear. I am sure I will be spending alot of time on this forum if/when I buy it. I havn't had a sled in quite along time. My last sled was a Polaris Storm 800 with a bunch of mods. Had alot of fun on it WHEN it ran right. That thing was a tuning nightmare, hence why I sold it and have not had a sled since. Now planning on trading my 2000 CR500 for this 900 1M to get back into the sport again.

Anyone, thats enough info I guess! Looking forward to all posts!

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
tekim, I just finished the other day installing the alum. front shock shaft along with the Ti spring. I will see if I can take a pic and send it to you. I have to borrow the camera from the other half. I have to take some pics of a set of OEM front shocks.

Thanks Mike

Premium Features