• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Making a mesh hood: 05 King Cat

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
Thanks guys.

Aluminum material: $125
Mesh & Fitting (done by others): $70
Time: +/- 20 hours

I plan to use aircraft rivets around the bottom on 4" centers. May be a bit excesive, but the more rivets clamping the mesh the less likely it is to tear.

Can't wait to see yours Trent.

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
I have most of the frame done, except for right around the gas tank, I will be getting the trampoline material friday so I hope to get it covered this weekend, I am short on time because I go to school and only get to work on it on the weekends haha but I will get it done soon. I am getting anxious!

Untouchable, you will have to post some pics of it on your sled and see how it looks all finished, so far it looks awesome!!

Trent

Last edited:
U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
The peice next to the tank was by far the hardest part. I ended up going with solid rod there so I can fit the angles and twists in there. I wasted a lot of time trying to fit flat stock in there.

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Alright thanks for the heads up, maybe that's what I will have to do is use some solid aluminum, I'm sure it wouldn't be to fun trying to bend flat aluminum around that.
Trent

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
I will be working on it tomorrow night hopefully! I got a good deal on a like new 12' trampoline pad and will be picking up some aluminum rod as well. Hopefully I get the frame done and can put the material on the hood and leave it sit for a while so that it forms good. So if I use rivets, the material shouldn't rip right?? I was debating on putting hinges on it but I think I might now. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Trent

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Ski-Dooin' it, I got everything done except for the back piece that goes over the gas tank still, I was going to get it finished last week but I ordered a wildchild forward steering mount and figured I would wait until I get that on so that I could make it fit right the first time. I still can't wait until its done, I hope it looks good. :D

Untouchable, have you gotten any more done on your hood??

Trent

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
Ok, I finally got off my arss and got it done. These pics are with my cell phone, but this weekend I'll take some final shots with my good camera. I am really pleased with how it turned out. I decided not to put a windshield on but instead push the light next to the gauge. What do you guys think?

1023082014.jpg

1029080810-1.jpg

1029080810a.jpg

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
:D Nice work untouchable!! That looks awesome, looks like you got the material stretched over the frame really good. I think it looks good without the windshield to. This past weekend, I tried stretching the material over, and I'm thinking I might have to cut some of it by the shock tower area like you did if it gets bunched up.
Looks really good though!:beer;
Hopefully I can get some pictures up this weekend.
Trent

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Well I finally got my hood done this afternoon. It didnt turn out as good as I had hoped but it will work. The wrinkles from when I got it since it was folded up for a long time still didn't come out. I hope they come out a little over time. We got the material a little off center so I had to kind of fold it over a little on the front. The trampoline material is a little hard to work with, but it is really strong, I also had some solar backing screen that would have been a little lighter but when I put some water on top of both, the trampoline material held it better so I figured I would use that. Here are some pictures, now I just have to get my side vents made:D. What do you guys think?
Thanks
Trent

Last edited:
P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Ooops I guess my pics didn't work on the last post, here are some pictures, I have had the hood sitting by a heater so it did take most of the wrinkles out and it did tighten it up a bit as well. What do you guys think?

PB220001.jpg

PB220007.jpg

PB220008.jpg

PB220010.jpg

PB220002.jpg

Trent

Premium Features