• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 vs 2016 M8000

W
Dec 1, 2007
WYOMING
I'm trying to decide what to buy. A new 2015 held over M8000 153 or a new 2016 M8000 153 for about 5 grand more ?

Anybody ride the new 2016 yet? and also have rode the 2015. Trying to decide if the extra $$ is worth the new changes.

Thanks for the info.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Depends on if your talking about a limited or not. The 3" track is a big difference.

Otherwise a 15 for 5k less (which is hard to believe) has a lot of potential
upgrade to 16 front end $700 I think
make sure clutching works and add MDS weights, $250
put a can on it $600 (diamond s)

That's 1550 and basically the same sled less a few minor things.

If you still have 3450 to go find a 3" and drivers for 1250
tki belt drive 900
light weight hood $350-1000

Still leaving $1000 on the table.

Then you have a better sled for less money but resale will be a touch lower and you don't have the new clutches but what you have should be good.

Both sled benefit from Gripper skis so its a wash

If it where a 4k difference I would lean toward a 16 LE because of clutches and resale value. Which are selling for around 13k

S

spiceyunicorn

Jun 20, 2010
NW, Iowa
was in the same boat you were in ended up buying the hold over for just under 4k from a 16 im a flatlander and only get out west 2-3 times a year figured i could put narrow front end on and still be money ahead... it all comes down to your budget coming from an M series i couldnt see where i would go wrong with the 15

L

leadfoot33

Aug 31, 2010
Prince George BC
i went with a 15 as well couldnt aford the new one did the front end the new cat skis and am very happy. with it. i rode both sleds back to back last year at a demo ride the 16 is awesome but if you werent going to get the lmted anyways then get the 15

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
New current year sleds are always tough to justify, you'd be lucky to sell it next year for 9k. So it looses about 1/3 of its value in one season.

K
Dec 12, 2010
I have now ridden a well set up 2015 and my well set up 2016 LTD both on same day, same snow. The 2015 is a good sled to start with. The 2016 LTD is a very good sled to start with. The clutching is smoother (although I do have MDS weights/spring), it gets up on the snow much better, even with similar settings on the rear skid (front track shock @ 1/8" thread pressure positive). It handles much better in the the technical riding, which a lot of that can be attributed to the much better clutching.

I was able to get a smoking deal on my 2016 LTD, I added up all the mods needed to make a 2015 the same as a 2016 (clutches, skis, 36" front end, 3" track, was gonna do Raptors but the EVOL are very good too) it was close to a wash. It actually all came down to the financing rate. I got my 16' for $500 cheaper than what I could get a 15' with all said mods, financing was cheaper, got an extra year warranty, a free belt, and free cover with the 16'

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
do the 16. cat changed more than just the front end. new clutches, new rear suspension, new front track shock. I rode the same area back to back on my 14 supercharger, a 16 supercharger and a stock axys. I much preferred the way that the 16 went through the snow and sidehillled. I was amazed at how similar the axys and 16 cat felt though

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
do the 16. cat changed more than just the front end. new clutches, new rear suspension, new front track shock. I rode the same area back to back on my 14 supercharger, a 16 supercharger and a stock axys. I much preferred the way that the 16 went through the snow and sidehillled. I was amazed at how similar the axys and 16 cat felt though

Have you tried the bmfab skinny boards yet, feels even more comparable to the axys but imo the cat ihas easier control and position.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Have you tried the bmfab skinny boards yet, feels even more comparable to the axys but imo the cat ihas easier control and position.

I haven't. I got bmfab boards for a 14 about two weeks before they announced the skinnys. I also thought the cat was a nicer position, I felt that with the new steering post, which is truned forward a bit, I could get my feet into the stirrups naturally, without feeling like I was trying to hold my self forward like on the previous stock proclimbs. The natural foot position on the Axys felt like my feet needed to be almost a foot back from the stirrups. I rode the same sidehill twice on each sled, and really paid attention to how each sled dipped or "hooked" the spindles in little draws or cuts. They both felt very similar. the cat also never tried to turn straight up like the previous PCs do. I sure think Cat nailed this sled

E

Err

May 19, 2009
:popcorn:

Keep the comments coming guys. Almost time for a new sled. Had a couple Pros but liking the looks of the 16 Cat. If I go Cat, I'd be looking for a 162 LE. I live and ride in UT which typically means deep pow in the 5-10% density range at 8-11,000'.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I've only had my 16 out one day, it's a kick azz sled. By far the best PC. The snow was a little spooky, no base and was down on power (needs some more break-in miles and a little clutch tuning) and it was one of the funniest days I've had on a PC. Taking a 4 day trip that starts on the 1st and it can't get here soon enough. I have owned a 13 LTD 153 and 14 LTD 162 to compare to. After one ride, no question I'd pay more for a 16 LTD. For the majority of the riders, all you need is a can. For the next step up - gearing, clutching (call Eric at Racin Station he will get you squared away), light weight hood, B&M boards, and rework on the shock valving (highly recommend Tom's Snowmobile).

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I haven't. I got bmfab boards for a 14 about two weeks before they announced the skinnys. I also thought the cat was a nicer position, I felt that with the new steering post, which is truned forward a bit, I could get my feet into the stirrups naturally, without feeling like I was trying to hold my self forward like on the previous stock proclimbs. The natural foot position on the Axys felt like my feet needed to be almost a foot back from the stirrups. I rode the same sidehill twice on each sled, and really paid attention to how each sled dipped or "hooked" the spindles in little draws or cuts. They both felt very similar. the cat also never tried to turn straight up like the previous PCs do. I sure think Cat nailed this sled

The point straight up feel is partially from the 3" which raised the height of the sled and keeps it up along with maintaining traction where the old ones just washed out. Its that much better with the bmf narrow raised boards.
The caster and added steering from the 16 front end helps with that as well.

Are you running stock skids and shocks

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I had a really nicely set up 14 (see sig) but decided to jump on a 16 because of all the upgrades. I've got 300 colorado miles on mine already but the very first ride I knew I made the right choice. One thing that may help you make your decision is that no matter whether you pick a 15 or 16 they still need some of the same changes. Can, clutching and gearing. However the 16LE with the evols, new attach angle, and a 3inch just make it head and shoulders above all previous PC's.

Premium Features