• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobilers not #1 for avalanche fatalities in the US this year!

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Snowmobilers not #1 for avalanche fatalities in the US this year.​

Only 4 snowmobile avalanche fatalities in the US this year. The last time it was lower than 4 was in the winter of 93-94.

We were only 25% of the total fatalities. Winter 2009-2010 we were 47%, Winter 2008-2009 we were 57%.

Previous to this winter, snowmobilers were #1 for fatalities for 9 out of 10 years.

It’s good to see the numbers dropping.

What could be contributing to the lower numbers?

-More snowmobilers are taking classes.
-Snowmobilers are adapting to the best technology (avalanche airbags) faster than any other user group in the US.
-More riders are carrying the essential avalanche gear and implementing what they learn in class.
-Online forums, magazines, clubs and individuals are providing information about avalanches.
-Riders are becoming proactive instead of reactive.
-Some of the snowmobile films are promoting avalanche education.
-A couple of the snowmobile manufacturers are carrying high quality best technology avalanche gear at their dealerships.
-Riders are surviving avalanches. The ones who are surviving are trained and prepared, which increases your odds tremendously.
-Many riders are altering their riding according to the danger and checking avalanche reports.
-More riders are boondocking, less emphasis on big climbs with many riders.

Does education make a difference?

I think it does. I know of 10 people in the last 5 years that have saved their own life or the lives of others after taking my class. Also hear from students, who decided not to climb a hill due to their stability assessment and then returned later in the day to see that the hill slid. Also seeing riders buy the essential gear after taking a class.
The hardest person to get in class is the long term western local. Who’s number one for fatalities the last few years? It’s almost 100% the long term western local. Many of these riders are not carrying the essential gear and doing things the same way they always have. Many are not proficient with their avalanche beacons and have not taken a class or took a class a very long time ago.
Five years ago, 50% of the snowmobile avalanche fatalities were riders from the upper Midwest.

The Future?

One year of change does not make a trend. This may just be a lucky year, but I am seeing riders more prepared and prepared riders surviving. Avalanche accidents are still happening, which will always be the case since avalanches are not 100% predictable. What’s impressive is the prepared riders are pulling off some amazing rescues. What’s not impressive is some of the same mistakes are being repeated every year (multiple riders on the hill with riders parked in the run out zone).
Stock snowmobiles keep getting better and will make it easier to access more avalanche prone terrain. Riders need to be on top of their game more than ever.

The next step.

Get even more riders to attend classes and take an on the snow rescue class, carry the right gear, know how to use the gear and implement what you learned in class. Only ride with people who have the gear and knowledge, your life may depend on it. The snowmobile community has done an excellent job of increasing awareness, but the job is not done yet. It takes much more than awareness to consistently keep the numbers down. Thanks to everyone who has made such an effort to reduce avalanche accidents among snowmobilers. I feel the Snowest forum has been very influential in bringing about the needed change.

Mike Duffy
Avalanche1.com
Avalanche education for mountain riders.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
awsome to see this stat.. not that its something you wish other people to die to be more then you... BUT, its nice to not be the sore thumb.

i attribute the factors they mentioned, and also, im betting the downturn in the economy has a lot larger impact on sledding then a lot of other backcountry sports.

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
Mike,
Thanks!! you sure have opened the eyes of alot people, i took your class few years back best money i spent in this sport yet..............................Thank you!!!!

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Mike, I think you are right on with a lot of this. But I also think the snow pack has a large impact on the total numbers.

This year we had pretty good bonding top to bottom in most areas.

Last year we new it was going to be UGLY due to the way the snow pack was built with the early snow, thaw, then cold, then the heavy snow. We just never had a solid top to bottom snow pack.

This year it was a lot more stable. So I believe this played a role in the numbers.

Thunder

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I think so too...we've had a fairly constant amount of consistent snow fall this year...but we found some interesting stuff in late March when we dug a pit up at Lolo.

About 4 feet down there was a REALLY dirty layer of crusty garbage about 2" thick. When I did shovel-shear tests, very consistenly, it broke on that. For two straight days we had that pit and dug it further back into the hillside and it did the same thing over and over again.

It was a MESS. And it did NOT take much at all to make it go.

We saw the backside of the "Rock" (between the warming hut and Skookum Lookout) slid in the last couple weeks. Slid BIG. Saw it from Lilly Lake and it's down to the dirt and rocks.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Mike, I think you are right on with a lot of this. But I also think the snow pack has a large impact on the total numbers.

This year we had pretty good bonding top to bottom in most areas.

Last year we new it was going to be UGLY due to the way the snow pack was built with the early snow, thaw, then cold, then the heavy snow. We just never had a solid top to bottom snow pack.

This year it was a lot more stable. So I believe this played a role in the numbers.

Thunder

That same snowpack affects the other user groups too though, so if the snow was the only factor, I'd think you'd see less overall accidents, but us still on top for numbers.

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
...X2 on deep and stable snowpack, this is a big factor for sledders since we don't ride in avy controlled areas and we are very HEAVY

Last edited:
A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
That same snowpack affects the other user groups too though, so if the snow was the only factor, I'd think you'd see less overall accidents, but us still on top for numbers.

I think this is pretty true. But my thought is most of the angles we ride on sled are for the most part between 30-60 deg.

A lot of the extreme boarders and skiers are jumping bluffs and boarding down really steep stuff. This terrain will slide no matter the bond. But in the 30-60 angle where the largest percentage of sledders ride has been pretty stable.

Granted the Chris Browns and extreme riders hit this stuff also but it is a smaller population of sledders.

Thunder

S

sidewinder

Mar 28, 2009
Grangeville ID
Something to think about as well is the fact that an awful high percentage of us in the hobby now have a personal friend or acquaintance who has either been killed or severely injured in an avalanche, that tends to hit pretty close to home. I am just glad that we didn't have a government policy enacted last year that could be spun as the reason!

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
I agree this years snowpack in some areas has had an impact on the numbers. The overall numbers are down in the US and Canada, but the fact that snowmobilers are down to 25% of the fatalities is saying something.
Most avalanches occur on slopes of 30-45 degrees, which is the steepness of the terrain that many of us ride in.

What is really impressing me is the number of snowmobilers who are better equipped and pulling off impressive rescues. Accidents are happening, but riders are surviving due to airbags and the rescue efforts of other riders. If it were not for the airbags and impressive rescues this winter, we would be above 50% of the fatalities.

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
this is very promising.....im not sure what that stats are in canada, but im thinking we are still number 1....:(.....i also belive that we as a sport may have scared ourselves last year with the BIS....i mean i am sure i was not the only one getting the chat from everyone and there dog about backcounrty safety at the gas pumps. we can also thank burandt for making it cool to head into the tight trees.....this is a big factor....

Premium Features