• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

beartooth / cooke city parking area

W

wyosleder

Dec 10, 2008
Dear Fellow Snowmobiler & Club Members,

It has been brought to the Snowmobile Clubs attention that the Beartooth area is on
the radar again however, with a twist. Park County’s agreement with the Forest
Service to plow the highway from the Chief Joseph Highway Junction to Pilot Creek
and the Pilot Creek parking lot expired in 2004. This also includes the little bit
of Highway 212 towards the warming hut in the Beartooths. The County wants a new
agreement with the Forest Service and the State of Wyoming that would protect them
against liability.

No one really claims the ownership to the roadway. The National Park Service
provides summer maintenance as an access route to the park but that is where it
ends. The Forest Service does not want the responsibility and we aren’t sure the
state or the county wants to take ownership either.

At this point the road and parking lot are not being plowed. If this continues it
will close the area. The state trails program will not be able to get to the
grooming equipment and the public can’t get to the parking lot to park their
trailers. Access to the Pilot Creek trailhead is extremely important for the
Beartooth snowmobile trail system. This trail system makes a significant
contribution to the winter economy in our area.

I have been in contact with representative of the Forest Service (Terry Root) as
well as Park County Commissioner (Tim French) and the County Engineer (Dave Kieper).
Each one of them has urged that we as a club and individuals contact anybody we can
to help resolve this issue. It appears to me that the bureaucracy between the Forest
Service and the County is what is keeping some sort of agreement from being reached.

The Forest Service is going to provide a “Memorandum of Understanding” for Park
County to review by tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday). Depending on the content and
form of the Memorandum the Forest Service and County may or may not be at a
resolution point. If something isn’t done quickly then we will lose our trail system
in the Beartooths and access to the Cooke City area as well.

Here are some people that I would suggest you contact:
Park County Commissioners:
Tim A. French - Chairman (tfrench@parkcounty.us)
754-5420 (home)
Bill Brewer - Vice Chairman (bbrewer@parkcounty.us) 587-5741 (home)
Jill Shockley Siggins (jsiggins@parkcounty.us) 587-3901
(home)
Marie Fontaine (mfontaine@parkcounty.us)
587-2968 (home)
Bucky Hall (bhall@parkcounty.us)
587-3684 (home)
Admin. Assistant: Peggy A. Ruble
527-8510 (Commissioner Office)

Dave Kieper (dkieper@parkcounty.us) – County Engineer – 527-8520

Jim Davis (jdavis@parkcounty.us) – Assistant County Attorney – 527-8660

Terry Root (troot@fs.fed.us) – Shoshone Forest District Ranger- 527-6921

Also see the attached Beartooths Briefing Paper from the Trails Work Consultant.

We are asking that you either call these people or send them an urgent email with
your concerns ASAP. We really need the Forest Service and the County to come to an
agreement soon!!! The more snow that falls the less likely anything will get plowed
this season and snowmobiling will be over!

Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
Thanks for the info I will do some calling myself.. very interesting

D
Nov 26, 2007
Gillette, Wy
Here's the response I got from Jill Shockley Siggins:

We have been trying to negotiate with the Shoshone National Forest Service to finalize an agreement regarding our work on Forest Service Roads with in Park County. These discussions have lasted for months and at this time the Forest Service is unwilling to enter into an Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) or contract which meets our Statutory requirements as a county.

We intend to ask for help from our congressional delegation in Washington DC with this matter. It may be helpful for you to seek their advice as well.

Counties do not have the authority to work on roads belonging to the Federal Government without agreements set in place. The agreements we had have lapsed and at this time we have no contract.

I hope you understand our situation legally. We will continue to work in your interest to get this resolved but we have serious concerns with the delays and lack of cooperation the Forest Service has with our Engineer, Road and Bridge department and County Attorney.

Thank you for your thoughtful consideration in this matter.

I sent an email to all those you listed. Thanks!!

A
Jan 4, 2008
Powell Wy
thanks for the info we cant afford to lose that area i will be calling and sending emails thanks again. I know that the forest service and the county will give us some type of bogus answer but maybe if enough of us speak up it will do something.

B
Dec 10, 2008
Cody, Wy
Plowing to begin on Hwy 212 to Pilot Creek parking lot

To all Cody Snowmobile Club members and Cooke City Snowmobile club members and all other Snowmobile Enthusiasts;

Today the Board of the County Commissioners held a special meeting in regard to the Memorandum of Understanding - Snowmobile Trail Management that you have heard about for the last couple of days.

At this meeting they approved and signed the Memorandum of Understanding between Park County, Wyoming Board of County Commissioners, US Forest Service, Shoshone National Forest, State of Wyoming, and the Department of State Parks and Cultural Resources State Trails Program.

The snow plowing should begin right away.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the County Commissioners (Bucky Hall, Marie Fontaine, Tim French, Jill Siggins, and Bill Brewer), County Engineer (Dave Kieper), County Attorney (Brian Skoric), Shoshone Forest District Ranger (Terry Root) and Shoshone Forest Supervisor (Becky Aus) for their hard work in coming to an agreement on the MOU and understanding the needs of snowmobilers as well as how much this trail system contributes to the winter economy of Park County and Cooke City.

I would also like to thank all the members of the Cody & Cooke City snowmobile clubs and also the members of the Wyoming Snowmobile Association for your emails and phone calls in this matter.

Premium Features