• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.
Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
So with the new system how do we see what our "infractions" are?

The new system is plenty stupid imo, but I just noticed my points go down by 500, what would cause that?

At least in the old setup we could see where we pissed someone off, now I don't see how that happens?

So with douchebags like snowhawkblahblahblah, there's no way for the people that matter (forum users) to ding them for being a complete tool now?? That's screwed up.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
:mad:I have noticed to that are are complete d- bags on here that were so far into the red before that according to this new system are "ranked" higher than me, and i have never been redded. WTF

The rankings now have more to do with being a lifeless turd that yaps all day (we all qualify sometimes!) than it does being a decent member that posts usefull information.
To say that nearly everyone likes the old system better would be an understatement.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
:mad:I have noticed to that are complete d- bags on here that were so far into the red before, but now according to this new system are "ranked" higher than me, and I have never been redded. WTF
The new system gives NO points for the old rep, but does count about 20 different parameters.
Problem is, those guys are wildly active on the forum, and that means they are racking up a lot of experience points for all the activity.

scmurs

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Be patient, your day is coming.!:D

Christopher, I'm confused :mad:

I honestly don't have time to read all of the replies in this post and I used to take some pride in the positive feedback that I have on SW. I enjoy this sight and it has been a HUGE resource for things to learn from my fellow sledders. I wish I knew where you were going with this. I see my three mystery bars changing evertime I visit and/or make a post. I compliment a fellow user and my blue bar drops. I just log in and my blue bar goes up. :confused: My green bar never changes because I'm not a post whore. Please school me on what it means to be a good guy on this sight so that when people ask me a question, they can have an ounce of confidence that I know what I'm talking about.

Does it really need to be this complicated???

Best regards to you.

Scott Murray

T
Dec 2, 2007
Kent, WA USA
I too, am confused, I am not a very active user comparatively speaking. But, I do always try and post from a position of knowledge and have tried hard, and successfully I might add, to stop dramatic BS when I've seen it. I had only a few rep points but they were all positive feedbacks, and my rep was at max with only three rep ups that I could see.

Your goal is to provide the new user with a system to see who is full of BS and who they should really listen to, correct? How do you do that when your new system is based on activity? I feel I provide informative, well thought out posts, but I'm not very active, so my thoughts get thrown by the wayside by the new user, because "this guy doesn't have much rep according to these graph thingies" How does your new system deal with people like myself, or the poster above?

I will wait and see I'm ok with you asking to give you time to implement and new site tools are ok too. Just pointing out what I see to be incorrect with what you are trying to do.

my $.02

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher, I'm confused :mad:
Scott Murray

Scott:
The three bars are ALWAYS IN MOTION.
Either going UP or DOWN.

The ORANGE BAR is your total Experience Points, and should be slowing climbing upwards so long as you log in once in a while. It mesures pretty much everything you do on SnoWest and awards points for all your actions.

The BLUE BAR is a relative gauge of how close you are to moving to the next level. the moment you make the next level, the Blue Bar will go back to ZERO and start all over again.

The GREEN BAR is your time weighted activity level, and is scaled against the most active person on the forum. That person scores a 100, and all the rest of us are scaled against him.

if you find that this is not something you like, and do not want to participate in it, you can simply turn it off.

Just go into your USER-CP and look in your options to disable this feature.

Christopher,

I am trying to be patient and understand all the new “features” you have installed. But, even though it’s been active for a while now, I am also confused about this new experience system. I think you are trying to set up a system that gives the users some indication of the value of a member’s posts that can’t be easily manipulated. Is this correct?

If so, I think it still needs a little tweaking. For instance, at the moment:

You have 5512 points (level 17), 1132 posts, 202 thanks, and a 74% activity level.
backcountryislife has 5515 points (level 17), 1341 posts, but only 17 thanks, and a 5% AL.
WFO or go home has 9601 points (level 23), but only 1024 posts, 4 thanks and a 3% AL.
LeftyM77 has 4584 points (level 16), and only 304 posts, 11 thanks, and a 4% AL.
Trav907 has 10133 points (level 24), and only 379 posts, 0 thanks, and 4% AL.

So, there is obviously more to the points system than what is shown publicly (as I know you have posted earlier). But, how are users supposed to know what the values of the rating system actually mean? At first glance, I would assume that a higher number would be better. But, that doesn’t necessarily make sense when you look at the numbers I posted above.

So, how does Trav907 have so many more points than you, even though he has a LOT lower numbers for posts, thanks, and activity? Why is WFO rated higher than backcountry? How do these points relate to the actual value of the content? I guess what I’m asking is, how are users supposed to interpret the new experience system?

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but there isn’t any user feedback system in place to correct the new points system either. So how are users supposed to identify the troublemakers and antagonists? [example: Snowhawkaddict used to have a VERY poor reputation on this forum, but now he’s listed as a positive contributor at level 25]

I apologize for not understanding what you are trying to accomplish here. Could you please explain?

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
Christopher,

I am trying to be patient and understand all the new “features” you have installed. But, even though it’s been active for a while now, I am also confused about this new experience system. I think you are trying to set up a system that gives the users some indication of the value of a member’s posts that can’t be easily manipulated. Is this correct?

If so, I think it still needs a little tweaking. For instance, at the moment:

You have 5512 points (level 17), 1132 posts, 202 thanks, and a 74% activity level.
backcountryislife has 5515 points (level 17), 1341 posts, but only 17 thanks, and a 5% AL.
WFO or go home has 9601 points (level 23), but only 1024 posts, 4 thanks and a 3% AL.
LeftyM77 has 4584 points (level 16), and only 304 posts, 11 thanks, and a 4% AL.
Trav907 has 10133 points (level 24), and only 379 posts, 0 thanks, and 4% AL.

So, there is obviously more to the points system than what is shown publicly (as I know you have posted earlier). But, how are users supposed to know what the values of the rating system actually mean? At first glance, I would assume that a higher number would be better. But, that doesn’t necessarily make sense when you look at the numbers I posted above.

So, how does Trav907 have so many more points than you, even though he has a LOT lower numbers for posts, thanks, and activity? Why is WFO rated higher than backcountry? How do these points relate to the actual value of the content? I guess what I’m asking is, how are users supposed to interpret the new experience system?

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but there isn’t any user feedback system in place to correct the new points system either. So how are users supposed to identify the troublemakers and antagonists? [example: Snowhawkaddict used to have a VERY poor reputation on this forum, but now he’s listed as a positive contributor at level 25]

I apologize for not understanding what you are trying to accomplish here. Could you please explain?

Long haired freak i just noticed has over 11,000 points and is level 25 about to level up i think he had the worst rep i have seen i don't think he would have ever come out of the red, he never did me wrong but i had to think of someone who was not liked by others. Sorry i to am confused i hope you get it all figured out soon, there are some aspects of the new system i do like please don't get me wrong and i really appreciate the effort but is there a way you can bring back the rep system it was kinda important, it was a good way to judge a persons character, honesty, trustworth, ect.... these are all very important sometimes when you are taking advice or more important buying something off another member (preventing fraud). I think some of the guys who will be coming back this winter will be confused and may actually get discouraged, snowest is a great site i really enjoy but i don't know foresure that all the change was needed. I actually just got rid of the experience system i like it better now if i could bring back the rep it would be awesome. JMO

Last edited:
B
Sep 21, 2004
Does this have anything to do with why the site seems slow and the going from page to page takes 10-15 seconds. Never used to do that at all. The page will refresh but the forum content sits blank and then poof it shows up.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher,
How does someone possibly get to level 29 with only 103 posts? First poster on this thread http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166467 I thought the levels were based off of # of posts, activity, etc. Heck you are only at level 18 and you have almosr 1300 posts and more activity than anyone I've seen.
While its not going to be very common, it IS possible to level up WITHOUT posting very much.

I think there are about 20 different ways you can earn points. It would appear he is working some of the other routes.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Ain't thats whut Red rip is for?

So with the new system how do we see what our "infractions" are?

So with douchebags like snowhawkblahblahblah, there's no way for the people that matter (forum users) to ding them for being a complete tool now?? That's screwed up.

Maybe you are the one cullering me back to green, sum twisted joke or sumthin? I can explain snowhawkblahblahblah better on the phone, 206-999-9729.;)

This whining is what little kids do in elementry school when they think something is not fair. Read what you wan't easy to use the forums cerrent ignore feature. Some of you have stated how much it sucks here anyways and frequent other places like MUD and SNOW.

My 2 dollars.:)

R J snow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
CA
Are you telling me that all the skins are NOT in your USER-CP right now?????

This place needs SO MANY upgrades to get it caught up with the current state of software development. Poor site is several years behind the power curve on technology.

Let me go look.

I liked my 64 Ford 1 ton just fine

Premium Features