• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which Engine Builder do We Like?

P
Nov 30, 2007
Utah
www.myspace.com
Who do we think has the most experience building and tuning old triples like the Ultra in Northern Utah. I realize there are some awsome shops in the flat lands...but my experience with those is that they have no clue on tuning for the mountains.

Experienced well thought out answers are appreciated!

Karl

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Call Fastrax

I know its not UT, but give Curt at Fastrax in WA a call...he bought out Union Bay Racing, who was a premier builder of tripples when they were popular...and he still works closely with Doug Ruth, who was one of the driving forces of tripple development for the mountains.

http://www.ftxmotorsports.com/

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Ultra

Larry Forbush in North Ogden spent a bunch of time on his Ultra and had it running so strong he was accused of running a big bore on it. Not sure if he is still working on them or not. I haven't talked to him in a while.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The Ultras are SUPER picky on set up. Another possible check would be Tri-City. Maybe call Jack at Carls in Boise. I remember when these things ran, they ran well, but when they didn't run well it was BAD.

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
I know its not UT, but give Curt at Fastrax in WA a call...he bought out Union Bay Racing, who was a premier builder of tripples when they were popular...and he still works closely with Doug Ruth, who was one of the driving forces of tripple development for the mountains.

http://www.ftxmotorsports.com/

X2 Curt and Doug really know how to make these motors run.

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
took a while to get mine figured out but as stated, when they run well they are fun, trip pipes,shaved heads, porting,reeds, atacc

finicky sled for jetting, jet each cylinder individually

J
Nov 26, 2007
Anybody have any opinions on the big bores for that ultra motor. Be it hot 2 go or engine tech. Does it make them more or less finicky. Aint nothing better than a triple spinning at 8800. Sounds awesome.

Get a hold of Curt like everyone has said. He still works with Doug Ruth. Doug built my triple while at Union Bay. Best motor I have owned. Turns 8200rpm and is super strong. Mine has price cylinders but I think Curt still has a set of billet cylinders with exhaust valves. The billet topend will run dead nuts with a good running WC1200.

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
I saw a thread a few weeks ago about some real good work that PSI was doing. It was almost hard to believe some of the claims.

H

HPJUNKIE

Nov 5, 2003
Ran a Ultra with a 800BB from The Mod Shop in Grande Prairie,AB. W/PSI 680 Modblasters. Ran super, night & day diff from 680. It's sold now, but my friends still talk about it! Sleeper w/totally stock outward appearance, 151x2 & drop&roll. Last rip to Revy in Feb '01 there were a group of about with the latest & greatest at the bottom of Turbo running/bashing. Pulled up, asked what they called the hill (like I did'nt know), told they I'd give it a shot, since the sled ran good back in Sask, they all laughed, then I made my first attempt & went over the top w/speed! My friends still talk about how thier jaws dropped... with the BB it ran super...back in the day...

P
Nov 30, 2007
Utah
www.myspace.com
Thanks guys, I have a DAB racing pump 800BB, drop and rolled 156 plus extras. It runs strong, but I picked up a running ultra for $300 for a spare...but I have enough spare parts laying around, I think I can make a twin to my modified sled for a couple thousand. my BB from DAB only cost about $1500, but I was wondering if I could do better. My sled runs rotax 521 pistons with decked cyclinders. What do other kits run? XCR 800 pistons? custom? gas?

R

Ringer

Jan 1, 2008
Central Alberta
well i could tell ya who not to use up in canada , rpm motorsports , ron pieche
edmonton ab , took my big bore price engine there and never got it back , he closed up shop sold my motor , hell of of a guy this was like 3 years ago
any body heard of his where abouts

R
Oct 1, 2001
well i could tell ya who not to use up in canada , rpm motorsports , ron pieche
edmonton ab , took my big bore price engine there and never got it back , he closed up shop sold my motor , hell of of a guy this was like 3 years ago
any body heard of his where abouts

Some thing like owing money to the wrong people, and not paying it back.
You are not the only person that lost there motor.

Premium Features