• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber turbo, things to watch for

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012
Just put a silber on my 2.6 163 New to turbo sleds. Anything out of the ordinary to watch for or anything you've done before riding? I plan on putting reflective tinfoil tape on my side panel and maybe underside of the hood directly above.. anything you've done at all to improve your overall experience I wanna hear it!!

Thanks

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
- Their clutching is pretty lame. Go with an Indy or TRS setup, or at least get a 44 or 46 degree straight cut helix. Your belts will thank you.
- Pull all the foam out.
- Heat tape the coolant line by the muffler.
- Fully clip your track.
- Add venting or a blow hole. There isn't enough cooling for heavy snow.
- Buy -eya plugs and gap them at .018"-.020".
- Coat your exhaust donuts with a thin layer of of high temp copper gasket maker.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
Get ahold of TRS Tony in here.
1. His lightning weights.
2. 46f-32f er helix
3. Green 140-290 primary spring
4. Black /silver 160-280 Secondary. @ #7
This s a proven set up. Depending on elevation and boost you may be able to go softer on the secondary spring. This is an arm stretcher @3000-6000'
5. Anti stab kit.
6. Avid extrovert drivers.

Last edited:

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Agree with most of this, except EYA plugs. We just could not get them to work as well as the standards. Never had an issue with plugs otherwise.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Agree with most of this, except EYA plugs. We just could not get them to work as well as the standards. Never had an issue with plugs otherwise.

Odd, they made a world of difference in my 800ho over the bpr9es. It's amazing how different things work (or don't) for different people. Just goes to show it doesn't hurt to try different things :juggle:

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012
So what heat plug should I be using? Right now I have BR8s in.

Also with the exhaust wrap around the coolant hose.. being im buying some and will have it is it stupid to wrap the down pipe and can to try and drop under hood heat a bit? Or would that be a waste?

Also this was a last minute deal.. I wasn't going to do this for this year.. long story short I leave friday.. how bad will I eat belts or hate life with the silber clutching?

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Could order the clutching and have it sent to where u are staying. Ride it with the provided set-up the first day and if u don’t like it switch it out that night over a few beers. I’ve done similar and it has always worked out great. Just give the place a heads up to expect a package for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Odd, they made a world of difference in my 800ho over the bpr9es. It's amazing how different things work (or don't) for different people. Just goes to show it doesn't hurt to try different things :juggle:

Ya, there is definitely not a one size fits all, especially when you start boosting. I know when we talked about this same plug a couple of years ago I was in the minority as well. We may have the right altitude, mix of AV gas, turbo pressure, temps, etc. that works well with the BPR9ES. The stock plug runs great - no popping and can't remember ever fouling one. We have fouled more 850 stockers than all our turbo builds combined. : )

Jul 22, 2009
Make sure your power valves are clean. I developed an after-boost big that turned out to be dirty power valves. I went with Indy clutching and have been happy with it. Overall the Silber kit has been very good to me. 2nd year turbo’d now on a 16axya.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota

Also with the exhaust wrap around the coolant hose.. being im buying some and will have it is it stupid to wrap the down pipe and can to try and drop under hood heat a bit? Or would that be a waste?

Also this was a last minute deal.. I wasn't going to do this for this year.. long story short I leave friday.. how bad will I eat belts or hate life with the silber clutching?

You will be just fine running Silber's clutching. The weights are adjustable with magnets. At least they were, I haven't opened the box yet for my 850. You should be able to get it dialed in good enough where it will be a riot to ride, then you can decide if you need to spend the money on a different clutch kit.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.

BPR9 EYS is a colder plug. NGK plugs temp ranges are lower the #, the hotter the plug. The plugs will tell you if you need a hotter or colder plug. Look for the burn mark (rainbow )on the ground strap. You want it at the bottom of bend or a little lower. For proper a/f ratio get a magnifying glass and a bright light and look at the base of the porcelain. There will be a burn ring. If you have black specks on the porcelain that is pre ignition.

alstar

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
North of Duluth, MN
Have a Silber on a 16 axys sks and it keeps blowing the spark plugs (seems to be always on the exhaust side). The porcelain is actually breaking free and moves up and down inside the outer ring. Anyone experience this issue and have any thoughts/suggestions on what the issue may be?

o2bncamo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 7, 2009
wisconsin
That is detonation, you need to get that under control before it gets expensive.
Add octane or fuel, turn boost down, lower compression. Sometimes over rev can cause detonation too.

J
Oct 8, 2010
Have a Silber on a 16 axys sks and it keeps blowing the spark plugs (seems to be always on the exhaust side). The porcelain is actually breaking free and moves up and down inside the outer ring. Anyone experience this issue and have any thoughts/suggestions on what the issue may be?

A lot of my slower NA friends where cracking their NGK plugs last winter. We figured it was a bad production run.

If o2bncamo is right, detonation can be very expensive. If it is detonation you need to get it fixed quick.

I add 10% race gas as cheap insurance.
I did have detonation once after I started adding race gas . It was at the start of a day when I would get into the throttle. It cleared up after a while and I the rest of the day it was fine.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Should be running 9s. I stick with the standard plug gaped to a tight .018. Clutching depends on your elevation.

Premium Features