• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PRO800 RMK TUNNEL RIVETS

P
Nov 27, 2007
Minnesota
Quick question, what are the rivets that are used to fasten the tunnel side to the top part of the tunnel? They don't seem to be a standard pop rivet. Any info or a link to them would be awesome.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Quick question, what are the rivets that are used to fasten the tunnel side to the top part of the tunnel? They don't seem to be a standard pop rivet. Any info or a link to them would be awesome.

They are a piercing hard rivet.
You need a large machine to install them. ($$)

http://www.valleyfastener.com/self-piercing-rivets.html

25000 minimum quantities. Lol

An $80 air riveter and ss pop rivets is a good replacement you can use.

Last edited:
P
Nov 27, 2007
Minnesota
Thanks, I took the side off my RMK to repair it. I haven't seen rivets like those before and they drilled out very hard. I'll go with your recommendation. Thanks for the info!

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thanks, I took the side off my RMK to repair it. I haven't seen rivets like those before and they drilled out very hard. I'll go with your recommendation. Thanks for the info!

Grind the backside flush, then pop the center out with an air chisel from the back.

Drilling them sucks bigtime.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK

You'll likely regret it if you choose to use SS pop rivets. They will loosen and you'll end up with a sled that flexes like an Arctic Cat and / or SkiDoo. SS pop rivets; while a pain to drill out as well, are nearly as weak as the garbage hardware store steel or aluminum pop rivets. Your best bet is buying the tried and true Polaris Chassis Pop rivets. I use the Lords / Fusor Acrylic adhesive as well.

But then I'm probably far more particular than the average Joe Schmoe.

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
This rivet from Mcmaster look to be the same as the high strength ones that Polaris uses. This may be an option you may want to try.

Capture.jpg

P
Nov 27, 2007
Minnesota
Thanks for the options and other rivet possibilities. I was thinking of using the adhesive along with the rivets since I need the adhesive for the small aluminum bracket behind the drive clutch.

I was also thinking about solid rivets. Looks like they use them on air craft. Not familiar with them, doesn't look like they get tighter as you use them. Looks like they just hold something together. Any input on those?

Also, what do you guys think of using a pan head bolt with loctite and maybe a nylon nut? I think there would be enough room for clearance on the inside and it shouldn't loosen over time.

Premium Features