• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can't search Snowest for 3 lettered terms

C

ckspeed

Dec 17, 2007
Malcolm, NE
Why, oh why, is there a limitation on the search engine to no less than 4characters??? :confused:

In this sport, hobby, whatever you want to call it, with so many terms like RMK, 670, 900, RX1, etc., etc., why would you limit the search results and make the forum basically useless for someone looking for information on their 700 RMK, or their RX1, or say all 800's in the SkiDoo section?

Who runs this thing and came up with this stupid rule? I know it's a board selectable limitation and could be changed.

Why can't I find any contact information for help or complaints??

Seriously, this is totally dumb. Anyone else have problems with this? Anyone else want it changed?

C

ckspeed

Dec 17, 2007
Malcolm, NE
Protip: Pad it with a space....

That didn't work for me, tried ^166 and 166^ and didn't have any luck.

Google using snowest 166 did okay, but it's a cheesy workaround for something that should have never been implemented in the first place....

Who do we have to complain to??

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Probably a denial of service attack. Write a script to just issue lots of short letter searches and shut the server down. Just a guess. Long word searches would take a lot less time to search, and sort.

C

ckspeed

Dec 17, 2007
Malcolm, NE
Probably a denial of service attack. Write a script to just issue lots of short letter searches and shut the server down. Just a guess. Long word searches would take a lot less time to search, and sort.

Most other forums require you to be logged in to search, or if you're not they have human authentication thingy with the screwy letters you have to match.

I'd sure like to see this forum move to that system.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
google.com, keyword site:snowest.com. As long as robots.txt doesn't forbid indexing, google's probably got it.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
"Nerds" make the world go 'round :beer;:D:beer;

Don't we have enough people here to say "Hey, we want this changed"

Sure, but Snowest can't afford a data center the size of Google's. I wish they could change it too, but I'm sure there's an economic reason for not doing so.

C

ckspeed

Dec 17, 2007
Malcolm, NE
Shamefully, I have to admit I've carried one in my pack before :face-icon-small-dis

Cellular Internet connection via Bluetooth, honestly it was a one time thing though and I promise not to do it again...really.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
haha, no, i'm talking about putting one on the sled... replace the dash with a computer... gps, radio, etc, all integrated into one device... :D

And you know damn well it'll have bluetooth, wifi, etc...

Premium Features