• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS Checker and Setting tool

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
Its really amazing at how the sled performs with the propper tps setting, i did mine last year good idle and amazingly crisp throttle response looking forward to spanking many 8,900s and 1000s this year.

I gotta buy a stator anybody have any good leads on a new stator? i think the dealer wanted $270ish

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
got my stuff there and made a tester...have set 3 or 4 tps's now and all have been good. but mine reads 5.01 and then when i set i simply compensate for the .01 its off.

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
got my stuff there and made a tester...have set 3 or 4 tps's now and all have been good. but mine reads 5.01 and then when i set i simply compensate for the .01 its off.

So you're saying that where my regulator is at 5.08 that I set my tps baseline at 0.780 and the idle at 1.01? Damn I hope u say yes

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
Use the POLARIS tool (PART # 2201519-A approx $50 from your local POLARIS dealer) or your home-made version (which is fine), along with a good quality digital meter and TRIPLE check that your tester has 5.000 volts before proceeding

X2
I had issues with my homemade unit in the beginning, it wasn't the unit tho...it was the cheap azz digital meter I got from harbor Freight. I spent the extra little bit and got a nice meter. Amazingly, my unit was dead on the numbers.

Contact FreeAgent (Michelle) on SnoWest. She'll get you a great deal on the TPS tool. $40-$50 for a good tool sure beats banging your head. :p

So you're saying that where my regulator is at 5.08 that I set my tps baseline at 0.780 and the idle at 1.01? Damn I hope u say yes

NO, it needs to read between 4.99 & 5.01. No exceptions.

Last edited:
C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
Thanks for the lead bud. I know it ain't the meter, I'm using a fluke 87. Sure hope it's the shotty regulator that's causing my problem

150+ or nothin

Mar 1, 2011
I would recommend going to radioshack and getting a variable potentiometer. They will be less than $5. Here is a link describing what they are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer

You can dial in the voltage to exactly what you want. You just hook up your battery to the two outside terminals. The middle terminal will provide whatever voltage you choose. You will then ground whatever you are supplying to the same terminal as the battery ground. Then its just a matter of turning the dial to set the output voltage.

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
I would recommend going to radioshack and getting a variable potentiometer. They will be less than $5. Here is a link describing what they are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer

You can dial in the voltage to exactly what you want. You just hook up your battery to the two outside terminals. The middle terminal will provide whatever voltage you choose. You will then ground whatever you are supplying to the same terminal as the battery ground. Then its just a matter of turning the dial to set the output voltage.

I'll look into that. Thanks

S

St0rm77

Oct 17, 2009
Fort McMurray, Alberta
did mine last year to get the PCV set-up properly..... used a motorola phone charger that i had lying around.
worked easy, and the sled has not had the brutal back-fire/stall when you punch the reverse button.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
you will probably need to use it more than 1 time.. so just buy the polaris tool, check the new 9volt battery your going to use, and no worries..

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
What a great thread.

I just built a tester and checked my 2005 900. I was a bit surprised to see it was right on spec.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
My dealer says they no longer sell tps testing tool or harness. very good thread ttt

POLARIS PART # 2201519-A

Try another dealer

It's approx $50

You'll still need a GOOD quality digital voltmeter and 9-volt battery (and also still need to verify 5.000 volts before using it) to get the job done

Last edited:
Premium Features