• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tech Tip - Replacement Weld on bung for your Digatron, only $2 a set?

Digatrondirect

Premium Member
:D

Here is an inexpensive solution:
I found that your local auto parts store carries all the pieces you need to do it for around $1.00 each.

Ask for a Steel brake line tube nut. (part number - Weatherhead 105x3),
one 3/16 compression ring and one brass compression nut.
The thread on all of these is 3/8-24. Just what we use on the Digatron fittings.

There you go. $20.00 saved and no wait for shipping.

If you were just replacing the weld on part then you only need to get the tube nut.

I use these on my engines.

Hope this helps.

N

nitris223

Nov 26, 2007
Mark is there any difference between the clamp on and weld on probes besides the way in witch they are held in the pipe. Can I take the clamp off and ues it in a weld on type.

Great tip for the compression nut. I was in the same situation looking for the nut.

Digatrondirect

Premium Member
Mark is there any difference between the clamp on and weld on probes besides the way in witch they are held in the pipe. Can I take the clamp off and ues it in a weld on type.

Great tip for the compression nut. I was in the same situation looking for the nut.

You can use the probe with the nut and compression ring on it and weld the tube nut to your pipe. And it will work perfectly.

N

nitris223

Nov 26, 2007
Mark.. I am trying to figure out where to mount my Digatron gauge on my 2005 Edge 700 RMK . I have 72 inch probes. I would like to mount it on the handle bars but the instructions said not to twist and bend the wires or be with in 6 inches of the plugs, wires, etc. I really don't want it on the dash because I will have to drill holes in the dash would I not. nI was planning on running the wires beside the Pto cylinder , over the airbox up to the bar riser. through the opening in the tank shroud. I don't have the handle bar cover on my sled because of the 4 inch riser. I would need to modify or make a new bracket to mount the gauge to the riser.

If I have to run the wires up the hood then I was thinking of bringing the wires out through the side air filter and mount the gauge off to the side but this gives me the least amount of wire to use.. This option would make it hard to read while standing up riding also.. Got any pictures of some installs.

I noticed on one of the probe wires that the casing is cracked. The wire inside looks intact. Could this be a problem. Can I just put black tape over the casing to protect the wire.

Last edited:

Digatrondirect

Premium Member
Mark.. I am trying to figure out where to mount my Digatron gauge on my 2005 Edge 700 RMK . I have 72 inch probes. I would like to mount it on the handle bars but the instructions said not to twist and bend the wires or be with in 6 inches of the plugs, wires, etc. I really don't want it on the dash because I will have to drill holes in the dash would I not. nI was planning on running the wires beside the Pto cylinder , over the airbox up to the bar riser. through the opening in the tank shroud. I don't have the handle bar cover on my sled because of the 4 inch riser. I would need to modify or make a new bracket to mount the gauge to the riser.

If I have to run the wires up the hood then I was thinking of bringing the wires out through the side air filter and mount the gauge off to the side but this gives me the least amount of wire to use.. This option would make it hard to read while standing up riding also.. Got any pictures of some installs.

I noticed on one of the probe wires that the casing is cracked. The wire inside looks intact. Could this be a problem. Can I just put black tape over the casing to protect the wire.

nitris223

It is true you do not want to bend or twist the wires as their core is not a stranded type of wire (they are solid core) and may fracture. i They are made of Chrome and Aluminum (Cr-Al). If they are too long you can coil them up, just as you received in the original packaging. It is also true you do not want to get too close to the plug wires due to the electro-magnetic fields they emit. Since you are using a power/TACH harness and not an inductive pickup the problem of electrical interference is minimized. If you do need to get close to them and experience temp spikes. You may want to insulate your EGT wires. You can do this by getting a rubber vacuum hose from your auto parts store. Split it lengthwise down the hose and insert you probe wires. Then tape them up or zip tie to secure them in place. I use this method on my Kart, with an inductive pickup, and it works great. Sorry I do not have install photos on your type of sled.

Re: the cracked casing. If the wires are not fractured and their insulation is not cracked (the Red and Black wires inside). Just tape it up and you should be good to go. So long as the two wires do not touch internally thus shorting out the sensor. If this happens you may still get temp readings as the wires at the point of the short. The short creates its own thermocouple connection. You will see a significant drop in temp or three dashed lines on your gauge. I have seen guys, with melted wires, separate the two wires and tape them up and they keep on working.

Last edited:
N

nitris223

Nov 26, 2007
Thanks Mark. I will give it a shot up the handle bars. I was thinking of wrapping something around the wires anyways just to clean up the installation. I hate stuff hanging all over the place. Would I need to wrap foil tape over the casing at any point or will this cause different readings. I have the probe tip pretty well in the middle of the exhaust stream if not a little lower. Does this sound good to You.

What would be a good place for the black wire from the power source for the engine ground. Can I go off the frame or somewhere near the recoil, head bolt.

Thanks Again and Merry Christmas.

Dennis

Digatrondirect

Premium Member
Thanks Mark. I will give it a shot up the handle bars. I was thinking of wrapping something around the wires anyways just to clean up the installation. I hate stuff hanging all over the place. Would I need to wrap foil tape over the casing at any point or will this cause different readings. I have the probe tip pretty well in the middle of the exhaust stream if not a little lower. Does this sound good to You.

What would be a good place for the black wire from the power source for the engine ground. Can I go off the frame or somewhere near the recoil, head bolt.

Thanks Again and Merry Christmas.

Dennis

Dennis

Foil tape is not really necessary. If you are running it close to a high heat source then it would not be a bad idea. Better safe than sorry. It will not affect the readings on the gauge.

Your probe placement sounds like it is in perfect position.

The black wire should go on a good engine ground. If your chassis has a ground strap between it and the engine then the chassis is fine.

Merry Christmas to you also.

N

nitris223

Nov 26, 2007
I think that my engine is grounded through the motor mounts but not sure. I might try it off the steering post clamp. One of those nuts should be good. I will have to stretch out the wire and see where it will work . Thanks. Dennis

N

nitris223

Nov 26, 2007
Hey Mark. Where do I get my power supply from. It said the lighting coil before the regulator. At the stator I guess. Any Idea which wire on a 2005 700 RMK Polaris

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
digatron power

Mark

got a DT52s for x-mas the 4- window
and putting it on a 2007 Arctic cat m1000
the unit came with a 2 wire power wire.
where can I get the power for this and the tach signal?

the M1000 has A/C and I was told the yellow off the stator..but no good
I then was told yellow by the ECU plug in.... and just want to know for sure what it really supposed to be.

Is this not supposed to be a 3 wire hookup? D/C/????
Also probe depth placement.. that is also a 64 dollar question that gets all kind of answers.

thanks
MD

Digatrondirect

Premium Member
The M000 is a DC system and does require a three wire harness.

Where did you purchase the gauge? Maybe they will help you out with a swap.

When I get back to the office I can let you know exactly what wires to tap into. Look for a PM tomorrow.

As far as probe placement... You should install the probes approx. 4" from the piston skirt. and the tip of the probe 1/2 way into the pipe.

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
Mark
you are the first to say D/C all others say rectifyied power.

The yellow off the stator ( there are 2 of them with a brown in the same plug) only shows 6.7 volts D/C.

The place where the gauge was bought said that the M1000 uses a 2 wire and the tach signal comes from the power...
I called digatron and they are no help as they say no wiring digrams are avaiable for them to view for proper connections..and they say you can use either a 2 or 3 wire.......... hells bells!!!!

I sent you a p/m

Digatrondirect

Premium Member
Here is what I have that has been verified by other M100 owners.

The Digatron harness has three wires for the DC harness. RED, ORANGE and BLACK. connect them as follows:

Red to Yellow (Heavy Gauge at lighting coil)
Orange to Purple (@ forward most row of wires on the sled)
and Black to Ground.

I know this works.

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
Thanks that might work for a 3 wire- but this new unit I received is a 2 wire
brown / yellow by the ecu I was told today for the hookup hot- and that would pick up a tach signal...

I thought this was supposed to be easy.....

Thanks for any help

MD

Digatrondirect

Premium Member
Thanks that might work for a 3 wire- but this new unit I received is a 2 wire
brown / yellow by the ecu I was told today for the hookup hot- and that would pick up a tach signal...

I thought this was supposed to be easy.....

Thanks for any help

MD

Sorry you were mis fed information by your original reseller. All my experience with the M1000 indicates they are all DC (2007 and 2008 models). If you can call Rob and see if he will swap out the harness for you, try that first. If not...To get you up and running, I will swap out the harness for you, even though you made your original from a non approved distributor.

Once you receive your harness connect is as indicated above and let me know of your success.

Premium Features