• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tether switch KTM

M
Mar 12, 2018
Sandpoint, ID
I’m a noob setting up my KTM 500 EXC for the first time. I’m a long time dirt biker switching over from a sled last year.
I’m wondering if anyone runs a tether switch for their snowbike setup, and if there is anything that is plug and go? I have not found anything yet.
Thank you

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Tether

I am going to use at tether on my 18 500exc-f. The wiring diagram in the service manual shows a three wire system at the bar switch, but, when I took it apart I found that the rocker kill switch is a simple normally open two wire system. One side of the kill switch is direct to ground and I assume the other is connected to the primary ignition circuit. Closing the switch kills the engine by grounding the ignition. Apparently ktm uses a three wire system also. If you have the two wire setup there are several options as it is a simple normally open switch that closes when the tether is removed. I bought one off eBay, but yet to test. I think sicass racing sold one too. Hope this helps

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Just FYI the EXC's do have a built in switch that kills the bike in 5 seconds if it's laying on its side / upside down. Not saying a tether is a bad idea, but just in case you weren't aware

M
Mar 12, 2018
Sandpoint, ID
Just FYI the EXC's do have a built in switch that kills the bike in 5 seconds if it's laying on its side / upside down. Not saying a tether is a bad idea, but just in case you weren't aware
I was not aware, thanks for pointing that out. My worst fear is having the track spinning on top of me at full throttle. The stars would have to align for that to happen anyway, and knowing it would shut down after 5 seconds would probably save a few layers of skin and tissue ?

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
also interested in a setup like this so I can leave the snowbike unattended and not have anyone be able to come up and start it (thieves, drunk friends at shop parties, etc...) not to mention the safety of it.

seems like generic tethers are everywhere online for $10. its just a matter of wiring them in. that seems tricky.. plus im an electrical idiot.

my sxf also has a tip over sensor.. not sure if thats the same as what youre talking about. I believe they can die and be finicky and cause the bike to not start sometimes.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Cory, wiring in not very difficult if it's a simple two wire system. If you have two wires going to your current kill switch it is probably open (no current flow, no continuity) when running. When you push the kill switch to kill/stop it connects (closes) the wires together causing the ignition to be grounded out killing the spark. The normally open tether has two wires and connects them together when pulled which kills the engine. You remove your kill and connect the two tether wires to the two wires on the bike that were connected to the kill. I think you will find that one of your wires currently connected to your kill goes directly to the frame (ground) and other comes out of the harness from the coil.

D
Nov 22, 2017

pretty damn sure all the KTMs have the roll over sensor, switch.. My 14 350SXF has it and my 17 FE501 has it. Last year in the snow the 501 would shut it self off nicely even if it fell over while idling warming up. Bikes don't seem to run away like sleds do, although I guess anything is possible.

BendBrapp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2015
I have a Jitsie (trials bike) magnetic kill switch tether on my snowbike. I changed out their lanyard for a better wrist cuff and cord. This is on my 2017 450 sxf. I also have a small carabiner on it so I can clip it to my coat. In heavy trees, I have had branches come over the bars and yank the switch/kill it. Having the option of how it attaches to you is nice.

I wired the kill tether in line with my push button kill switch. I can easily remove the magnetic switch in the field if it is ever an issue. I also carry an extra magnetic switch just in case mine got lost. Backcountry Insurance!

https://www.trialstoreusa.com/jitsie-magnetic-kill-button-with-lanyard/

Premium Features