• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

12 Yz450f Snowbike Mod recommendations

S
Nov 6, 2017
Wisco
I've done my fair share of searches so don't eat me alive for asking, just want to make sure all my ducks are in a row.

Long story short just traded my Freeride for the YZF and enough cash for a TS RAW 120 kit.

So basically besides that I'm looking for a thermobob or similar, an engine cover, filter mod, and stronger fork springs for the bare, good running minimum?

I don't want to mod out my airbox so think I'm going to run the C3 powersports setup. With this I should be basically set? Only run the UP of Michigan and 1 to 2 trips a year out west.

Thanks everyone. Any pics of similar bikes would be awesome, my brother has a 16 he's doing as well, giving snowmobiles up for a while as we never get snow where we live anymore and only do backcountry.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Shad, welcome to snow biking. Temp control important and sounds like you are addressing that. One suggestion is something to cover the rads when conditions dictate. Fwiw, I have the airpro setup on my 17yzfx and it works great as an option to the heavier springs. You ride east west or central part of 906?

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
sounds like you got the mandatory items figured out.. some comfort goodies are always nice to have.

larger gas tank + jerry can on the back.

stronger stator never hurts to give you some extra juice to maybe run a headlight setup too, but thats not a requirement. heated bars maybe?

some sort of dash display is nice to have to monitor coolant temp and everything else under the sun. something like trailtech vapor or even better, voyager with a gps map to follow on the screen.

a nice rack on the back of the skid and a front fender bag are nice to have to help haul extra stuff. solid tow rope, spare plugs, 8, 10 and 13mm socket. spare gloves and goggles.

bigger footpegs depending on your boots/feet/riding style.

seat concepts seat!!!! gotta be comfy out there... cant be spending $15k and having a rock hard seat thats torture to sit on after a few hours.

possible ECU/fueling adjustments?

bar risers are nice if youre tall.

rad braces are an absolute must for bashing in the trees. enduro engineering and bulletproof makes super solid ones.

hand guards are necessary as im sure you know.

skid plate is handy, or a full engine shield.... I personally dont think theyll make or break your bike/season.

and get a 20L pail of engine oil... get used to changing it often. every ride if you need to. it costs $5 per change!

S
Nov 6, 2017
Wisco
Awesome info guys, appreciate it!

We ride the West side of the Yoop, usually every other weekend.

This is pointing me in the right direction, figured I'd had most of it by searches but as you stated some little things for comfort I can pick up over time will be great as well. Oil changes, Yes haha, I'm used to it so definitely buy in bulk. Used to run race quads and bikes so changed the oil every time, and filter every other is my normal.

Pretty pumped, hoping it makes me not want my sled back :eyebrows:

Last edited:
A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I’ve got basically the same bike. ‘11 model.
Seal up airbox, seat, thermostat and hand guards, in that order imo are what’s necessary at a minimum.
Rode 2 days on stock seat when I got the snowbike. Couldn’t sit down for 3 more!
Even in marginal snow, engine ran too cold. Thermostat helped that about 80%.
Hand guards and mitts over the guards are nice and all that’s needed in milder climates
Airbox already had a TS pre filter. Actually the original owner had like 3 of them stacked on it, lol. Dropped to 1 pre filter and put frog skins over the front of the 2 intake tracts. Left over nose cone frog kind from a M sled actually. Zero problems in the powder and didn’t cut or mod anything for the intake.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Unabiker rad guards are the best value and fit of any I have tried , they also have aluminium front covers with them that can be easily taped. If they ice up the aluminium stacks up heat and melts them of right away. I usually have one strip of gorilla tape down the outside all season -- that works well on my 14 YZ450

I do not use any heated grips just Yamaha soft hand guards over my bark busters with good gloves works fine for me.

S
Nov 6, 2017
Wisco
Thanks guys! So far I have PST engine blanket, thermobob with temp guage, wrap around Cyrcas, Unabieker rad guards and C3 pod intake.

Just trying to get an LED bar, airpro and seat yet by the time the snow flies! So pumped

M
Jan 14, 2004
Being that your bike is a 12 you may want to look into either a 10-11 stock can or an after market slip on. In 2012 Yamaha reduced the bore of the silencer and made it 2 inches longer to meet noise regulations. The 10-11 silencer is 33mm vs 30, they are dirt cheap on Ebay. The plug in for the ecu has power for your light bar. add the pins to the weather pack blanking plug connector for lighting power.

M5

Last edited:
A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
Thanks guys! So far I have PST engine blanket, thermobob with temp guage, wrap around Cyrcas, Unabieker rad guards and C3 pod intake.

Just trying to get an LED bar, airpro and seat yet by the time the snow flies! So pumped

Have you purchased the first list yet or just decided on that? If you have not purchased yet, look at a Revvup engine jacket instead of the Pst. I've owned both and the Revvup is simply much better! Also, I believe C3 has a factory style thermostat for that bike that makes everything super clean. All the products you listed are good and will work but these are much nicer.

S
Nov 6, 2017
Wisco
Have you purchased the first list yet or just decided on that? If you have not purchased yet, look at a Revvup engine jacket instead of the Pst. I've owned both and the Revvup is simply much better! Also, I believe C3 has a factory style thermostat for that bike that makes everything super clean. All the products you listed are good and will work but these are much nicer.

I have purchased already, guess I'll try it for the year and see how it is.

R
Nov 21, 2014
Oregon
Great thread

Now this is a valuable thread.

I just bought a 2016 Honda 450x with Timbersled.

Bike is completely stock and I haven't bought any accessories yet.

Can you get a little more specific on parts/brands, where to buy?

I've only seen one thermostat brand.

I would like to just get the minimums to get out there.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Ray
XGzyNFts67jAv7jF9

Z5HhNui3QhYR8F4ZA

Last edited:
A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
Now this is a valuable thread.

I just bought a 2016 Honda 450x with Timbersled.

Bike is completely stock and I haven't bought any accessories yet.

Can you get a little more specific on parts/brands, where to buy?

I've only seen one thermostat brand.

I would like to just get the minimums to get out there.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Ray
XGzyNFts67jAv7jF9

Z5HhNui3QhYR8F4ZA

C3 powersports has everything you need on their website. Great guys that ride and understand what the customers are looking for. Also probably your cheapest option if you are south of the border. Remember, all prices on their website are in CAD.

The C3 thermostat replaces the factory elbow on the pressure side of the cooling loop coming out of the engine. Looks stock and is a dummy proof install.

C3 bars come with shark bite fittings that make install super easy as well. Again, no cutting factory hose on this install as custom silicone return line with tee in is provided.

C3 handguard setup is also top notch as the bash bar ties into the top clamp keeping the bars nice and clean looking. Riders edge has a similar setup that has a very nice top clamp that you can integrate your temp meter into.

Intake??? You guessed it... C3. Same pod style as everyone else's.

I know I sound like a brand booster here and many of the other similar products out there will work but these are just a little better thought out and refined.
Only thing that C3 does not address right now that would be on your bascs list would skid plate, exhaust heat shield. I like P3 carbon for both of these.

Cheers

R
Nov 21, 2014
Oregon
Excellent!

So far looks like they are out of the thermostat/handle bar combo. But it looks way better than thermbob, definitely more stock look.

I will give them a call in the morning for sure to see what package I can put together.

Thanks!

Premium Features