• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Frozen Moto -- BUYER BEWARE!

H
Nov 29, 2014
CT
www.huntersskidoo.com
So I wish my first post was a more positive one, but here I am. It's a long story but I'll try to keep it concise.

I own/operate a large BRP/Ski-Doo dealership in Connecticut, and am an avid snowmobile and powersports enthusiast. I have been following the snowbike expansion out west for the last couple years, and this fall, some of my employees and I were talking about how they would really be perfect for the terrain we have here on the East coast. I ride sleds in the backcountry all over New England and Quebec, and our trees are tight, snow pack varies hugely from year to year, we are at sea level (or under 4000'), there are tons of dirt bike enthusiasts/clubs/race programs. Not to mention, I really want to ride one! So one of my employees went to the Epping grass drags in New Hampshire and talked to Dan Shanahan who owns a snowbike company called Frozen Moto. He had one on display and the kit looked nice, Dan was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. To make a long story short, my guy showed me his card and mentioned that he wanted East Coast representation for Frozen Moto. I spoke to Dan, asked a bunch of questions, researched online, and ultimately decided to become a dealer/distributor for Frozen Moto, and ordered 4 kits. I was aware that Timbersled was a more well-known kit and company, but Dan was knowledgeable and answered all my questions regarding the competition with reasonable answers. He made the effort to come out to Epping, communication was good, so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

This was mid-October and he had told me that he expected to deliver them mid-december, which is later than I preferred but still in time for the start of our season. He asked for a deposit of half to get started, which I sent. We started spreading the news, hyping the arrangement and educating people, because snow bikes were still somewhat foreign here. People were skeptical, but interested. I had one sold to a guy who was familiar with them. I actually sold my current bike, and replaced it with a different model better suited for snow bikes. Spent a couple hundred on it for registration, etc.

Dan was pushing videos, social media, etc., and it was working. Awareness was increasing, people were curious. I had several customers that were ready to buy but wanted to see them, or ride one first.

December came, customers were excited and asking about it, so I double checked with Dan about delivery, and he confirmed that everything was on schedule, they were planning on completing the kits within 30 days and that I needed to send final payment so they could ship. Hindsight is 20/20 but this is the biggest mistake I ever made. I feel like a jackass for trusting this guy. Again at this point I had no reason to suspect any wrongdoing, he was honest and punctual up to this point. I sent the payment thinking he's a small company, maybe needed it to finish the build, honestly didn't think he would take my money and not deliver. But that's exactly what happened. I'm kicking myself because I know better.

I had planned on attending a couple bike events, had a few rides lined up with the dirt bike/sled community, and they each passed with no news from Dan on delivery. I asked repeatedly for info, ETA, anything, and got vague answers of "we're working on it and yours will be next to ship." Meanwhile he's out riding for weeks on end, posting pictures, having a great time. Fast forward to February, which marks the peak of our season. Our riding season here is Dec-March. Very short, and the buying season is October-February. Now people are focusing on 2016s, riding what they have, and finishing out the season. I have communicated to Dan many times that time is an issue, and so is the fact that he has full payment. Some of my communications were ignored, some were answered with poor excuses. A few weeks ago he blamed a supplier on delaying parts, but that is only after I told him I was no longer interested in receiving the kits and wanted my payment back. I have since heard nothing from him regarding refund of my money.

It's a shame that I gave Frozen Moto the benefit of the doubt, and did nothing other than promote his product, expand his awareness, and support his "company" financially and otherwise. I am taking further action to recover my payments, and have filed a BBB report. I just figured I would post here so others don't get lured into the same trap.

DO NOT GIVE FROZEN MOTO ANY MONEY!!!

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
It's unfortunate you weren't able to do much research here on Snowest about Frozen Moto. They have a terrible reputation and an even worse snowbike kit. Dan will tell you story after story about how his product is the best... Newsflash: It's a dud.

Hopefully you can work something out with Timbersled and truly make your future customers giddy with joy. They will love TS.

H
Nov 29, 2014
CT
www.huntersskidoo.com
Yup definitely learned the hard way. I researched on here but there wasn't a whole lot to go off of, and what was out there was old. According to Dan, the "new" design was improved, etc etc. I based most of my decision off what he had to say, and a few people who knew him and were familiar with the kit. That has proven to be a mistake, to say the least. Snowbikes are very scarce here so riding them beforehand wasn't an option.

Hopefully this post will be hard to miss if anybody wants to research Frozen Moto in the future.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
You never see a Frozen Moto kit out here in the West. And that fact is very telling considering how many kits we have out here. I've never seen one in a showroom either. I hear he has a market to people who don't know about Timbersled and also in Russia. And as we all know Russia is where all high quality items end up lol

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Yup definitely learned the hard way. I researched on here but there wasn't a whole lot to go off of, and what was out there was old. According to Dan, the "new" design was improved, etc etc. I based most of my decision off what he had to say, and a few people who knew him and were familiar with the kit. That has proven to be a mistake, to say the least. Snowbikes are very scarce here so riding them beforehand wasn't an option.

Hopefully this post will be hard to miss if anybody wants to research Frozen Moto in the future.

i will attack his instagram account.

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
Your story is well written and immediately triggers ill feelings toward Frozen Moto.

But then I realized a few things that didn't come to mind right away.

1. You named the bad guy, "Dan"
2. You named the bad dealer/manufacturer "Frozen Moto"
3. You didn't name yourself.
4. You didn't name your dealership.
5. This was your 1st post.

So what your saying could all be very true and accurate, but I need more info b4 i jump on your wagon.

BTW, this is the first time I have ever heard of frozen moto and have no connection with them.

It's just that i have been unfairly accused and judged by others before I was even able to defend myself and a guy kinda remembers what that feels like.

H
Nov 29, 2014
CT
www.huntersskidoo.com
Your story is well written and immediately triggers ill feelings toward Frozen Moto.

But then I realized a few things that didn't come to mind right away.

1. You named the bad guy, "Dan"
2. You named the bad dealer/manufacturer "Frozen Moto"
3. You didn't name yourself.
4. You didn't name your dealership.
5. This was your 1st post.

So what your saying could all be very true and accurate, but I need more info b4 i jump on your wagon.

BTW, this is the first time I have ever heard of frozen moto and have no connection with them.

It's just that i have been unfairly accused and judged by others before I was even able to defend myself and a guy kinda remembers what that feels like.

Here is me, my name is Craig:
www.huntersskidoo.com

Here is Frozen moto:
www.frozenmoto.com

What I have posted is true and accurate, and Dan/Frozen Moto is aware of this post. We have been in contact since I posted this, and Dan has assured me that he is working toward a resolution, which involves one of his parts suppliers. At this point we both have the same goal in mind; to get this behind us ASAP. I will keep you updated.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
id ask for a truck or something(he can drive a fokin 100 dollar beater car around)while he has your money.but i dont know the whole story either

F

Freeride1

Dec 13, 2007
New Hampshire
I have had the exact same experience with Dan Shanahan and Frozen Moto. I paid him in November, he cashed the check in December and delivered the kit in April. He is a great salesman. I never rode the kit. I saw him get towed out too many times to want to bother. I'm selling it for half of what I paid and never used it. I shared this on my Facebook and it turns out me and Craig aren't the only two guys he ripped off.

R
Nov 4, 2018
I have had the exact same experience with Dan Shanahan and Frozen Moto. I paid him in November, he cashed the check in December and delivered the kit in April. He is a great salesman. I never rode the kit. I saw him get towed out too many times to want to bother. I'm selling it for half of what I paid and never used it. I shared this on my Facebook and it turns out me and Craig aren't the only two guys he ripped off.

Wait ... so you literally never even rode the kit... And you just sold it for half of what you paid for it... Tooootally makes sense... Not. I'll say this out right, for transparency; I personally have a frozen moto kit... I personally didn't get my frozen moto kit from them, but the guy I bought my bike (CRF 450) and the kit from, is a buddy of mine. Was there for the whole process. He ordered, paid, got it a month and a half later(Maybe closer to 2 months but still), and loved it. I rode it a few times before I bought it and loved it. Rode a timbersled too, because my other buddy had it and honestly didn't care for it over the frozen moto... WAIT! I can already hear the responses to that comment. I'm not saying the timbersled was bad, or even slightly worse. It was exactly par. They were just about equals. There was no difference I could find between the two when I was in the powder. So what I'm saying with that comment is I wouldn't reach for the timbersled specifically over a frozen moto... I'd take either one, because there's little to no difference I could find performance wise. So as a first hand rider of a frozen moto the kit is great. It's light, sturdy, and a hell of a lot of fun... Maybe my buddy just got lucky with his sale experience(That's a real possibility), but I don't think people should be pounding on the product when, at least in my own experience, it's just as good as a timbersled kit. But that's just me... Not to mention I've had a hard time find any other negative stuff out there about it, but this is the first thing that comes up on google... And seemingly nobody who has commented has first hand experience on the kit. I should add I literally made an account just to point out what I have said here.

Last edited:

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
You did notice this thread was 3 years old right? And 2 of the posters definitely had experience with the frozen moto kit.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Such a small piece of the Pie

the sno bike business being still small potatoes with small mfg, lots of room for screw up when the companies are hanging on by a thread.

Timbersled..............woops sold out and it was a problem for a while
Yeti............woops sold out and......lots of unanswered questions
Camso buys YETI and turns around and sells the whole shebang to Michelin

Might as well call the guys in Clyde Park Montana, been there for a long time, good kit, I don't think anyone is trying to muscle their way into that part of Montana.

R
Nov 4, 2018
You did notice this thread was 3 years old right? And 2 of the posters definitely had experience with the frozen moto kit.

Experience with the company yes, but on the kit, riding it? That isn't clear at all. In fact one comment literally said they never did, and just sold it for half of what they bought it for... Also I'll be honest I didn't notice the dates at first, but it just makes me even more glad that I commented; Because if the issues are no longer relevant the post should do with some updates saying so. Especially when like I said, when you type "Frozen moto snow bike" into google this post is literally the top item. That could very easily convince people not to look further.

Premium Features