• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions Please

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
So I'm at a bit of a cross roads at the moment. I have a Gen II style CMX chassis with a bent bulk head that I've been wanting to work on. I was thinking tunnel swap onto a IQR bulk head, I have a 1998 700 I could use for a donor as far as the motor and other necessities. I also have an IQ trail tank that I could use for the fuel tank, and a few other things. Does anybody think this would be worth it? I really have been craving to build an IQR for a long time. It would be such a better sled, I would be coming off my 04.

I'm trying to be a better rider, but I think I'm at the point where my Edge chassis has reached it's limits as far as I'm concerned. I have not ridden a new pro, nor do I plan on it, because I'm simply not ready to buy one haha. I guess I have 2 options, pick up a cheaper IQ this year, and build the IQR as I can, or buy the IQ, and save my pennies for a pro. Thanks for reading!

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
I was planning on using the 700 big block in the 98 RMK. I figure the only things i'm going to have to come up with would be a complete rear skid w/track, as well as a front end, some shocks, a seat and some other misc.

One other thing is that I'm wanting to get more power out of that 700, other then adding a pipe, head, and reeds, I don't think there's much that can be done to it though, it's out dated. I suppose I could put some flat sides off an edge sled for some throttle response.

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Is there any way to get PERC on a big block FUJI 700? I don't know if it would work because it doesn't have the exhaust valves like the Liberty motors do.

Leftys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2010
Idaho
Polaris did make a Perc kit available for the Edge Chassis models that did not come with it standard. I do not believe they did anything for models previous to 2003. FYI: the 700 Big Block from 97' and on is not a Fuji built Engine. It is domestic. Also, the VES system has nothing to do with Perc working on an engine or not.

Last edited:

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Polaris did make a Perc kit available for the Edge Chassis models that did not come with it standard. I do not believe they did anything for models previous to 2003. FYI: the 700 Big Block from 97' and on is not a Fuji built Engine. It is domestic. Also, the VES system has nothing to do with Perc working on an engine or not.

So what's to say I can't put an 03' and up stator, and wiring harness to allow it to have reverse?

Leftys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2010
Idaho
As long as everything lines up as far as the Stator plate, flywheel, port timing to go with the new CDI system etc.., the engine mechanics are just mechanics and it should work. I personally never tried it nor have I heard of anyone doing it. Hopefully someone will have done it on here and let you know if it will work.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
The difference is the timing curve of the cdi. everything else bolts up. You could contact twisted tunnel, he can probably set you up.

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
The difference is the timing curve of the cdi. everything else bolts up. You could contact twisted tunnel, he can probably set you up.

So I wouldn't even need to replace the stator? That would be great. If they're the same all the way through the edge chassis sleds, why is it that an edge sled tends to run quicker than the Wedge/Indy chassis, or is it all how it's been set up?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Ryanlilly on here has a brand new gen2 cmx bulkhead and tunnel for sale for $500. check the classifieds.

Leftys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2010
Idaho
You will still have to replace the Stator. The stator for Perc will have two pulse or trigger coils. One triggers forward operation and one triggers reverse operation.

Leftys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2010
Idaho
Just a little Tech info. The simple way to explain essentially how any electronic engine reverse system works on any two cycle engine is: When the reverse button is pushed it sends a signal to the cdi ignition to retard the timing of the engine to where it is going to backfire, at that point it does, but the timing of this happening has been dialed in so precise that the reverse trigger coil catches the backfire and starts the ignition sequence in reverse, which the engine is now running in reverse. Therefore the crank is rotating in the opposite direction making BTDC ignition timing the opposite of the forward direction. This is why two trigger coils are necessary. The sequence will happen again in the same way to go back into forward. FYI: A two cycle engine can run in either direction it all depends on what side of TDC you put the trigger coil on the Stator Plate.

Leftys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2010
Idaho
There are two main factors: The flat slide Mikuni Carb has proven itself to be a better product for snowmobile application rather than the Kehin PWK carb that was used on the earlier models. The other factor is the VES system. Ignition Timing has also been updated for better performance with those two items changing.

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Ok, so back to performance, is there anything I could do to this to get some more? I already mentioned a head, pipe, & Flat sides.

Would it be more beneficial to run an SLP head, or mill the current one?

I've also heard that a good set of reeds is actually beneficial on the older motors, unlike the new ones. Is that true?

Would it help any to do a mild port n' polish? I only want to run 91 pump gas in this sled, so maybe I should leave the head stock??

Premium Features