• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Top End Maintenance

R
Feb 5, 2012
Wyoming
2012 pro 800 w/SLP Stage 3 kit. 1900 flawless miles. Checked compression pre-season and again at about 1800. Nearly identical numbers both times with approximately 8 pounds difference between the two sides. Don't have a great gauge but at least seems consistent on all machines I've used it on. Sled still runs strong. Is it time for new pistons as a matter of normal maintenance? If so, any brand recommendations? Also any recommendations on resources for instructions on performing the work? Have not done a top end on sled but would really like to learn. Thanks in advance!

D
Dec 2, 2007
Telkwa bc
Only one way to find out... Think of it this way, do you trust it for another season? It's worth noting that a lot of issues with this motor don't show themselves until it's too late. A broken piston skirt that gets injested by the crank will usually toast your entire engine. It's worth the peace of mind to open it up and check it out, a set of pistons is cheap compared to an entire motor.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
the pistons will look fine to most people but the piston skirts collapse and will have to much clearance, we just stick with stock pistons. 2000 miles you need to do them for sure

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
My self I put new pistons and rings in around 1000 miles when not on warranty or if I plan to keep the sled.

Premium Features