• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail RMK 550 (1999 or 2000) ?? Taller Lug and Longer Track

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Has anybody put a longer and taller lug track on one of these? You know, make it a deep pow sled?

We have had great luck with these in the group stock but I'd like to maybe go with a taller lug track and maybe a 144?

Anybody done this? As for lug height, what will fit?

How did it perform?

Rider1958

Lifetime Membership
Oct 28, 2008
Woodland Park, Colorado
My '02 Trail RMK came with the 136x1.25" track, switched it to a 136x1.75" track - world of difference, worth every penny of the $200 for a good-condition used track off Craigslist. Now looking for a 2" lug track.

Make sure you look into richer mid-range jetting for that sled...

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
I installed a 1.25 x 144 track on a 2000 550. The machine lost a bit of track speed but it worked. Of course the Holz coil-over skid didn't hurt either. 550id

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Thanks for the replies. The sled is over at my buddies so i can't look.

What tooth drivers are stock?

Will a 2" paddle fit with stock drivers?

Thanks for the replies. Never modded a trail 550 RMK. Should be fun for the little girl.

Rider1958

Lifetime Membership
Oct 28, 2008
Woodland Park, Colorado
I believe the 136x2" track will clear just fine on my '02 Gen II chassis Trail RMK.

I put the higher-temp hyfax on it with the bigger lug track, as I use this sled for some trail riding.

Thinking about adding a 1-tooth larger bottom sprocket in chain case to see if power can be improved.

Sled will not win any races, I got mine to 60 mph once going downhill.
Kinda steep downhill, now that I think about it...

VTMTcowboy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
9 tooth drivers are most likely stock or the 1.25" lug height. To go to a 2" you have to drop to 8 tooth drivers, could even go 7 tooth as well. I have an old Indy 500 that I put an xtra-lite 136 skid under it and set it back to fit a 141x2 track. I used 7 tooth drivers and didn't gear down. Pretty much a tractor but really light and fun to ride. You should be able to get your Trail even lighter. Have fun with it.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'm not sure how long ago this was posted on SW, but the guy had put this 159" under the kids 500cc liquid RMK. He said it was not a screamer but would tractor that kid darn near everywhere the "guys" went. I have been intrigued by this option for quite a while. I'm not sure why we think that they won't handle a longer track. The modern 600's pull a 155" like nobody's business and rumor had it that there were plans in Boise to put a 163" on one. With that in mind, why wouldn't a smaller sled pull a longer track with less track spin anticipated? I even think the 121" tracks on the Sno-Scoot long tracks being done make them super at flotation even though they don't spin the track, they go quite well.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Thanks guys. I have a 2003 VE with a 159 that I've been contemplating using as a parts sled for this project. I haven't had time to compare yet but my early idea is to use the track and skid (drivers) and the front end to give a little more clearance.
The 800 needs a new top end and the pipe is rusted out. Other than that should be good to go.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
if its the same chaincase as a liquid gen 2, you dont need 8 tooth drivers. also considering there is no cooler in there. only the old school wedges needed smaller drivers. you might run your questions in the gen 2 section for clarification. sounds like a cool idea. not sure id part out an edge shassis for a gen 2 though, just me. maybe you could stick the 550 in the edge, remove the coolers, do some custom running boards... maybe im:crazy:

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Hypothetical: What would be the drawback of installing a 16x-15-2.4 track with a 2.86/3" pitch, drop and roll the chaincase to allow for the larger lugs, use tipped up rails to allow it to steer on flat ground, gear the thing as low as possible?

This might seem a bit different than what we are used to, but consider a groomer operator spinning his tracks everywhere he wants to go. I know when I was in a groomer, as soon as the track(s) started to spin you anticipated getting stuck so you changed something. Why do we think that spinning the track on a snowmobile is the only way to get where we want to go and not getting stuck in the process?

I'm not thinking this would be the sportiest feeling sled, but one that has plenty of capability with a lightweight engine.

S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
I recently saw a post on one of the forums where a fellow put the 155 - 2.4" track under 2 IQ 550s for his grandkids. Said they weren't the fastest but they enabled the kids to go without being stuck all the time.

HAZZER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
CASPER,WYOMING
Good idea

I have one with a 136" 2" pulls fine. If it was me I would gear it down should pull it fine.:face-icon-small-ton

C
Nov 29, 2008
I'm not sure how long ago this was posted on SW, but the guy had put this 159" under the kids 500cc liquid RMK. He said it was not a screamer but would tractor that kid darn near everywhere the "guys" went. I have been intrigued by this option for quite a while. I'm not sure why we think that they won't handle a longer track. The modern 600's pull a 155" like nobody's business and rumor had it that there were plans in Boise to put a 163" on one. With that in mind, why wouldn't a smaller sled pull a longer track with less track spin anticipated? I even think the 121" tracks on the Sno-Scoot long tracks being done make them super at flotation even though they don't spin the track, they go quite well.

Have a 125cc Sno Sport with a 121" x 12.5" x 1.33" challenger track works great and it can still spin the track in powder!!! Not that long ago a 500 lq was a monster sled. ... and not to long before that a 440 fan was king!

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Hypothetical: What would be the drawback of installing a 16x-15-2.4 track with a 2.86/3" pitch, drop and roll the chaincase to allow for the larger lugs, use tipped up rails to allow it to steer on flat ground, gear the thing as low as possible?

This might seem a bit different than what we are used to, but consider a groomer operator spinning his tracks everywhere he wants to go. I know when I was in a groomer, as soon as the track(s) started to spin you anticipated getting stuck so you changed something. Why do we think that spinning the track on a snowmobile is the only way to get where we want to go and not getting stuck in the process?

I'm not thinking this would be the sportiest feeling sled, but one that has plenty of capability with a lightweight engine.

Well this is actually the plan I am going to take on....I'm thinking a Polaris 155" 2.4" 2.86 track and a skid from a Dragon or a Pro. Gear it down, etc.

The 2003 Donor sled Vertical Escape 800 I was going to use....well I was stiffed and the guy that was supposed to give it to me for his bill for other sled work I had done on 2 other sleds....I'm out close to $800...

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'd pay special attention to the caster in the front end. The newer rear suspension sits the sleds real high compared to even the old Xtra-Lite skids. When this happens, the built in caster of the trailing arms (where the spindle mounts) becomes a lot steeper and steers worse.

I put an Xtra-10 into a '94 XLT so I could put a bigger track and have more travel. Granted, it did, but I had to choke down the limiter strap to keep things working that it didn't have as much fun factor since you couldn't transfer the weight as easily. I thought it would be a good sled for my wife since she didn't ride all that much and the sled was paid for. It rode bad enough that I ended up getting her an '04 600/144. She loves that sled now.

I was in the same boat as you, looking for all the perfect donor pieces to put something together for the girl(s) to ride, but ended up getting an IQ seat and Pro-Taper bars for the '93 440 SKS. I think it will work for a while.

S
Nov 28, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
I'd pay special attention to the caster in the front end. The newer rear suspension sits the sleds real high compared to even the old Xtra-Lite skids. When this happens, the built in caster of the trailing arms (where the spindle mounts) becomes a lot steeper and steers worse.

I put an Xtra-10 into a '94 XLT so I could put a bigger track and have more travel. Granted, it did, but I had to choke down the limiter strap to keep things working that it didn't have as much fun factor since you couldn't transfer the weight as easily. I thought it would be a good sled for my wife since she didn't ride all that much and the sled was paid for. It rode bad enough that I ended up getting her an '04 600/144. She loves that sled now.

I was in the same boat as you, looking for all the perfect donor pieces to put something together for the girl(s) to ride, but ended up getting an IQ seat and Pro-Taper bars for the '93 440 SKS. I think it will work for a while.

so then an 2004 edge skid would not go well with a wedge chassis. I'm thinking of stretching a 92 indy to 144 with an edge skid. Just for a deep snow lake machine to drive the crap out of. Won't be doing much trails riding with it so maybe it won't matter.

Last edited:
Premium Features