• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PC 800 first time starting

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
I have heard many issues with the PC800 on siezing pistons. I followed the pdi procedure on mine for heat soak. Started ran until temp light came on shut down waited twenty minutes do again four times. It shows .8 of an hour on the meter. I was very concerned with air bubbles in oil lines so was watching closely each time I ran it. There looked to be air in the lines on the fourth heat soak i removed the oil pump actuator lever and propped it open. I then started and watched the oil lines and watched all the bubbles disappear in the lines and it smoked excessive. I feel very safe that I have all the air out. But until I saw the oil in the lines I was very skeptical. Will ride Saturday.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
I checked the oil tank explode pic and wondered why there's a long tube at the start of the oil line? Also, oil tank is located very low so gravity will not help getting oil into line.

Would it help if the oil line inside the tank (part 12) is cut down? Or replace whole tank with smaller one which is located higher? Just wondering...

convert

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
you may be onto something with that line being to long..Cat could do something that stupid...Wisconson did with their oil filler tube going to far into the cranckcase with there v6 gas engine years ago...cause major issues with crankcase ventilation when the stupid filler tube should have been flush with block..Wisconsin didn;t know what the heck was going on until a fella up in these parts solved it for them

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Probably fair to check and make sure you have oil in that first tank of fuel. The tag on the handlebar says 100:1 so, mix it and run it. Enjoy your ride!!! :yo:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Chuck, I did so much garage riding before the season getting this sled on its side that I must have got out any air bubbles that could have been in my lines.

I heard your 1100T shipped yesterday. Hope you are still satisfied with your 800 purchase :face-icon-small-ton

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
oil pump linkage.....

I have heard many issues with the PC800 on siezing pistons. I followed the pdi procedure on mine for heat soak. Started ran until temp light came on shut down waited twenty minutes do again four times. It shows .8 of an hour on the meter. I was very concerned with air bubbles in oil lines so was watching closely each time I ran it. There looked to be air in the lines on the fourth heat soak i removed the oil pump actuator lever and propped it open. I then started and watched the oil lines and watched all the bubbles disappear in the lines and it smoked excessive. I feel very safe that I have all the air out. But until I saw the oil in the lines I was very skeptical. Will ride Saturday.

Could you or someone else give me some direction on what was involved in removing the oil pump linkage, and bleeding the pump? Pics or micro fiche(sp?) would be great. I will try to tackle this weekend hopefully!

Why did the temp light come on? No oil? I would think that would be related to the coolant? that might be something else you wanna look at? maybe not? I am relatively new when it comes to getting into the "GUTS" of the machine so bear with me.......just trying to get help and give it on the rare occasion. :tea:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
The bleeder 10mm hex is right on the pump. Let oil run out of it then tighten back up. Just pop the pump arm off the ball joint at the pump. Sometimes takes a little force. Then you can find something to hold it wide open like a piece of stiff wire or zip tie. When you start the sled you pull the wire so the pump is wide open. Only let the sled idle, no throttle. Let it run till it starts smoking, then shut her down and check for air bubbles. If good, then connect the pump arm again and put everything back together.

oilcan iq

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Can someone tell me the best way to get to oil pump? I would like to bleed it. Also how do you open the oil pump disconect the linkage? thanks

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
This should be part of your dealer set up. All dealers have been instructed to bleed the oil lines before customer pick up. We have done it on all the sleds we have sent out.

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
One thing to also consider. The tank is NOT ventilated . So if you see air in the line remove the oil cap and then pull the oil pump full on. The air will disappear in less than a second. Cat has not added that little tid bit yet but I bet they will.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
If the tank is not vented it will create problem? I was thinking they put a hole in the lid and oil splashed up on it and created this potential problem? If a vacuum is created the pump will have a heck of a time pulling the oil in, it would then need a pump in the tank itself. Mike

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
Serious?

One thing to also consider. The tank is NOT ventilated . So if you see air in the line remove the oil cap and then pull the oil pump full on. The air will disappear in less than a second. Cat has not added that little tid bit yet but I bet they will.

That seems crazy!?!?! Unless like stated there is an in-tank pump.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Yup lid is the vent, and remove the bottom skid plate its only 4 bolts and you can see the oil pump plain as day :)

c6e4dcee-158c-da97.jpg

The lever on the left push it up while its idling in this pic you can see an air bubble in one of my lines. (you can see it through the clear wrap)

Make sure you disconnect the linkage arm off the oil pump when doing this. The black plastic linkage rod end peace mcunit pops right off.

I watched 6 air bubbles go by and waited for only oil only took 30 seconds with the oiler on high and the sled idling.

Once you connect your linkage rod back up you can check your idle and full throttle marks that are in the shaft your pushing up.

-Aksnopro

Premium Features