• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dealers checking for ethanol fuel on engine failures.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Wonder what Polaris and everyone is gonna do when every fuel station starts to carry 15% blend ethanol instead of 10%. Won't be long.... :face-icon-small-dis

A
Jun 16, 2010
Quebec
Don't know if it's the law everywhere but in my area, polaris would need to prove that the gas was what caused the engine to blow, same thing for the oil in the gas as was mentioned above.
Since I cannot see them prove in court that the gas was what caused the engine to break, they couldn't deny the warranty. If they did test the gas (and the court accepted the test) and it showed to be lower octane then whatever they require (87 or premium) they would still need to prove that the only cause was the gas.
Polaris would need independent experts that would testify that the gas was the cause and not the enginering flaws of the engine.
All of this would be much more expensive for polaris then replacing your engine.
I have had people in my area send letters to polaris stating that they would bring them to court for having their motors blow up every 300 miles and had good results.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Engine

Uh, no, actually they don't. Well they do, but only after you sue them. They don't have to prove anything before denying your claim. Polaris can deny a warranty claim and then you would have to fight it. You would have to spend the money to file the lawsuit against them. Then they would have to prove the stuff you mention below, but I bet they would be willing to take the chance and then if you start to sue, they just immediately turn around and pay the claim.

Look at it this way... 1000 people file warranty claims. Polaris denies all of them. Say 100 people go so far as to serve them with intent to sue. Polaris then immediately says 'Ok, we'll cover the warranty claim'. Well they just saved 900 claims.

An effective way to do it... from a bean counter standpoint anyway.

sled_guy

Don't know if it's the law everywhere but in my area, polaris would need to prove that the gas was what caused the engine to blow, same thing for the oil in the gas as was mentioned above.
Since I cannot see them prove in court that the gas was what caused the engine to break, they couldn't deny the warranty. If they did test the gas (and the court accepted the test) and it showed to be lower octane then whatever they require (87 or premium) they would still need to prove that the only cause was the gas.
Polaris would need independent experts that would testify that the gas was the cause and not the enginering flaws of the engine.
All of this would be much more expensive for polaris then replacing your engine.
I have had people in my area send letters to polaris stating that they would bring them to court for having their motors blow up every 300 miles and had good results.

A
Jun 16, 2010
Quebec
sled_guy, your right but in my area small claims court is enough (max of 7000$) and cost is about 40$ if I'm right.
No lawyer just yourself taking a day off, Polaris on the other hand would have to pay a representative a flight, hotel, and all other costs, that adds up to big $$. Also I would have a hard time paying 2000$ + for a new engine while I still have warranty on it.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
sled_guy, your right but in my area small claims court is enough (max of 7000$) and cost is about 40$ if I'm right.
No lawyer just yourself taking a day off, Polaris on the other hand would have to pay a representative a flight, hotel, and all other costs, that adds up to big $$. Also I would have a hard time paying 2000$ + for a new engine while I still have warranty on it.

Agreed that small claims court is a great place to solve things, but you might have to file a claim where the manufacture is based out of, unless you are taking a DEALER to small claims. It varies from state to state, fees as well as max amount varies. Most of the time no attorneys are allowed in the room.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Yea, Anon, so you are one of the 200 that do it. Still saves Polaris a crap load of money by just flat denying the claims and then paying up if someone really pushes it.

sled_guy

A
Jun 16, 2010
Quebec
Agreed that small claims court is a great place to solve things, but you might have to file a claim where the manufacture is based out of, unless you are taking a DEALER to small claims. It varies from state to state, fees as well as max amount varies. Most of the time no attorneys are allowed in the room.

The law here says that I can file a claim anywhere near my residence to someone that does not reside in my province and the responsability is to the manifacturer to send a representative.
Which could include a delaer if I read it correctly, and attorneys are not allowed to represent the defendent nor be in the room.
Or they can just warranty the damn engine.

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Like sled guy said, some will sue, most won't. Polaris comes out ahead. Good for you if you can sue Anon. More people should under proper conditions.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
The only thing I know is they sent us a fuel tester kit that will measure the ethenol content in the fuel. The kit will not test what octane fuel it is. My guess is that when we have a failure, Polaris will have us test the fuel for ethanol content.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Dave... thank you for that.

Since the sled is equipped from the factory for ethanol fuel (the ethanol resistors).... Have they told you with the kit, what is acceptable for ethanol content when it comes to warranty??

I have tested ethanol content here in in Cali and in some other states on road trips... sometimes it was as high as 20% ... I think the Ethanol is added into the truck itself... if someone is sleeping at the pump.. that could get all out of wack.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I just got an email back from a petro-chem engineer buddy of mine... no inexpensive way to test fuel at the dealerships. A $1000 kit would not cut it.

Test kit for ethanol. CLICK HERE

test_kit-2.jpg

A
Jun 16, 2010
Quebec
The only thing I know is they sent us a fuel tester kit that will measure the ethenol content in the fuel. The kit will not test what octane fuel it is. My guess is that when we have a failure, Polaris will have us test the fuel for ethanol content.
So do you think Polaris will void the warranty if the dealer finds ethanol in the gas and the ethanol wires are set for non-ethonal fuel, they willvoid the warranty?
Edit: I'm asking this because gas stations in Quebec do not need to show if the gas has ethanol in it or not, so you don't know what your putting in your sled. Someone did some testing and ethanol content was anywhere between 5% to 20 % in premium 91 octane gas.

Last edited:
X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Then just leave it set for ethanol for safety, especially if you're unsure. Unless it comes out of a fresh barrel, you never know what you're putting in it. In all seriousness, I don't even know why Polaris has it as an option, if it is THAT big of a deal.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Get yourself an ethanol test kit my friend!!

I bought one of those kits Eric...Pretty cool. So far, using this tester, my station that says they are selling non-ethanol is telling the truth. One of these days I will post some pics.

Honestly, for everbodys sake, I'd rather see Polaris just get rid of the ethanol/non ethanol resistors. I'm sure many push the envelop running crap with the wires plugged in or with the resistor not matching the fuel.

Premium Features