• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

An official CFI Engine Failure Thread

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I was to late , her lovely 2010 cracked the intake mag side with a little over 2000 miles and the pistons look like their good for another 2000 . Reason why I caught it was because I was ............ am going to put in The Fix since I'm stuck with the piece of crap . Theres no way I'd sell it to anybody but the dealor and I'm not really sure if I want another Polaris , especially an 800.

Last edited:
S

schtann

Jan 2, 2010
Too bad but good you at least got to 2000. Got my machine slightly used (2nd owner) and mine went at 700 with melted mag side piston. And that was with all the updates they had for it the previous owner had just installed. At the same time the clutch also mysteriously broke off 360 degrees at the crank taper as well (maybe the puller pin did that at removal but I doubt that should have happened; crack propogation?). At that point it was just 6 weeks OFF warranty and no mercy from the OEM (Feb,2011) via one of the largest dealers in the area who did all he good including close to COST pricing on some of the replacement parts to keep my business (Thank you dealer ...... but then also saw the pile of 800 CFI cylinders at thier shop when I dropped mine off !!!). I heard the 800 CFI 4 had issues and thought with the updates from previous owner this would be thus low risk to own. Followed all the instructions; warm up, blipping the throttle all the time and avoid the mid range, extra brand name oil in the injection and fuel tank, blah,blah,blah. So then the research started via this site mainly. And now it's got the PMS kit in a brand new cylinder, PCV w/auto tune & display, and latest AFTERMARKET reflash, pipe w/air box mods, and to date just have 4 hours on it (1 short ride). Decided to put EGT's on it as well to monitor and allow some margin to take action if it needs. Pulls good and hard so far and still not broken in so the jury is still out. Have not owned the machine overall that long in any regard but have owned Polaris sleds for close to 30 years and really disappointed in this one which likely was going to be my last (age is catching all of us eventually!). So will try to keep 'yall posted on it ........ but it's up for sale in any regard in the interim if someone really wants it (likely at a considerable loss if anyone even calls for it !!). :kev: ONE LAST CHANCE.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2010
2010 600 144" rmk

Please list the following:

Date of Failure -03/20/10
Year -2010
Make -Polaris
Model -RMK
Mileage -1200
Engine Displacement -600cc
Track Length -144"
Brand of fuel and octane -92 sunco
Oil Used -polaris ves gold
Mapping -ontario
Ethanol Resistor connected -no
Elevation that you ride -huntsville,ontario
Area's or locations that you ride

Modifications, Turbo's, Pipes, Cans, Brands -(bone stock)
Fuel Controller's
Intake Modifications
Clutch Mod's, kit
Gearing, if other than stock
Fuel filter Replacement, when and at what mileage
Engine mods, t-stat mods, porting, etc.
Aftermarket Boards...
Drop N Roll
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer -had a trouble code come up and took it to the dealer and they cleared it and could not find the reason?

EDIT I've added a few more questions

Warranty yes or no -yes
When did Warranty Expire -06/11/10
Updated Pistons yes or no -no
Type of Failure ie Piston, (from lean, deto,oil ) Crank and or Bearing, Rod, etc. -piston, oil pump.
Compression Test/Results if done -no
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure -sled shut down seconds after engine went.

Edit 2-12-11 Thanks to 2dabar

Injector Color

Also:

Type of Sled Transportation, Enclosed, Open, Deck, etc.-
Sled Storage, Indoors, Outdoors, Enclosed Trailer, Heated Shop, Unheated, Summertime Storage, etc. -sled was always in the back of my truck with a cover over it when i did go anywhere (left the garage twice that year) Other then traveling with it in my truck the sled never left a garage with a cover over it. Heat in the winter.
Weather Conditions, Air Temp on the date of failure
How may miles into the ride failure occurred -10 miles in, -5 C

More info: When i droped my sled off at the dealer they did their test on it and said the oil pump was not working. So a new motor was installed and the dealer said i would of been left with a $4200.00 bill if the warranty didnt cover it.
I still own this sled and have not had a problem since. I have 3500 miles on the sled now.

P

prairie poo

Dec 22, 2007
nipawin sk
So besides the obvious cylinder and piston fitament, the correct warmup, the only other common trend is the use of synthetic oils. Has anyone ever used a high quality mineral oil?

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
After reading these posts. I would say it is clear. The 2009 800 engine is and was junk. Folks spent there very hard earned $s. Only to find out they were lied to by a manufacture that seems to only have one goal. That goal is to turn record profits. I understand turning profit is the mission of all successful
companies. But to screw the consumer is not. Polaris step up to the plate and
take care of the customer. You seem to have a great product in the 2011 engine. But you crapped on all the folks that thought you had a great product, AS YOU SAID YOU DID in 2008-2010.A great company would come out and say a mistake was made and we are going to fix it for you. Until that is done you have lost all trust.I hope your 2011 and newer sleds remain solid.
The sad thing is us sledheads have short memory. This sledhead is not going to forget about your prior junk until you fix it.You Polaris could take care of your past blunders in a number of different ways. Ignore the problem because the warranty is up is not professional solution.

My son and i both got rid of are 09 800's he got a 800cat and i a 600etc.how can anyone afford to own these pieces of s..t

C
Dec 27, 2009
Im now part of the pitty party

Date of Failure march 2010
Year2009
Make polaris
Model rmk 155
Mileage 14--
Engine Displacement 800
Track Length 155
Brand of fuel and octane 1/2 91 and 1/2 110 leaded race fuel
Oil Used ves gold
Mapping boondocker
Ethanol Resistor connected
Elevation that you ride 9000
Area's or locations that you ride w-yellowstone

Modifications, Turbo's, Pipes, Cans, Brands Boondocker turbo best pump gas model money could buy
Fuel Controller's boondocker
Intake Modifications intercooler
Clutch Mod's, kit none
Fuel filter Replacement, when and at what mileage yearly 300 miles before major fail
Aftermarket Boards...
Drop N Roll
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer bought as a hold over was suppose to have the newest and greatest, I put a PC5 on it before the turbo

Warranty yes or no NO
When did Warranty Expire
Updated Pistons yes or no Yes
Type of Failure ie Piston, (from lean, deto,oil ) Crank and or Bearing, Rod, etc. Major failure, mag side piston skirt broke, took out the case, cylinder, reeds, injectors, not sure about the crank its still in the shop
Compression Test/Results if done
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure no

Edit 2-12-11 Thanks to 2dabar

Injector Color yellow

Also:

Type of Sled Transportation, Enclosed, Open, Deck, etc. enclosed, heated shop
Sled Storage, Indoors, Outdoors, Enclosed Trailer, Heated Shop, Unheated, Summertime Storage, etc.
Weather Conditions, Air Temp on the date of failure overcast, 25degrees
How may miles into the ride failure occurred

EDIT...ADDED INFO ASKED FOR BY wstilson, Thank you.

Has clutch been balanced...yes or no no

We have 3 of the 09 rmk dragons, the other 2 have had clutch failure, literally tore half way off the motor, one of the other 2 had the same type of motor failure. Im hopeing to get one more year out of this sled since i have way to much money in it to get rid of it

C
Feb 6, 2012
800 Polaris Dragon 2009

Date of Failure: 12/2/11 & 02/4/12
Year: 2009
Make:polaris
Model: Drgaon RMK
Mileage: 1784 miles & 1981
Engine Displacement: 800 cc
Track Length: 163
Brand of fuel and octane: Phillips 66 ‘91
Oil Used: Polaris VES
Mapping: Stock
Ethanol Resistor connected: First no & Second yes
Elevation that you ride: 6k to 9k feet
Area's or locations that you ride: Fairfield, Stanley, and South Hills in Idaho
Modifications, Turbo's, Pipes, Cans, Brands: Can CPI
Fuel Controller's: tried Power Commander V on second burn down
Intake Modifications: none
Clutch Mod's, kit: 1062 primary, 5438 second
Gearing, if other than stock: 1941 first burn down, 1945 second
Fuel filter Replacement, when and at what mileage: at first burn down
Engine mods, t-stat mods, porting, etc.: none
Aftermarket Boards...: yes, better boards
Drop N Roll: none
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer: 2010 upgrade in September of 2009
Warranty: no
When did Warranty Expire; n/a
Updated Pistons yes
Type of Failure; lean
Compression Test/Results if done: nine
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure: yes
Injector Color: yellow
Type of Sled Transportation: Open/covered

Sled Storage: IndoorsWeather Conditions, Air Temp on the date of failure
How may miles into the ride failure occurred: 1st 30 miles; 2nd 25 miles

Has clutch been balanced: yes

D
Nov 17, 2008
I have a 07 700 dragon 155" track and have 4500 miles on it. never had a problem except once when I got it hot from slow riding in deep snow in trees. I had shut it off and it would not restart for close to a hour but finally started on its own without me ever knowing what had been wrong. When it would not restart it did not have spark. This is by far the best snowmobile I have ever owned and I have been riding since 71. I ride between 4000-6500 ft with about half the time off trail. I ride hard but not abusively. Gearing is 18-42. I am on just my 3rd 3211115 belt and cleaned clutch once. Have never pulled fuel filter. Try to run 91 non ethenol fuel but have run low grade ethenol fuel in pinches. In those cases I take it easier and vary throttle a lot.

J
Dec 18, 2008
2009/2010 assault/ Dragon.

I have just purchased these two sleds and after cuising your pages am wondering if the FIX kit and a custom tune will make these units reliable. I have a dyno and am willing to sacrafice a couple of engines to see if we can solve some of these issues, Who can crack the code on these sleds.:face-icon-small-ton

D
May 18, 2009
S.W. Colorado
Am I the only one with a 2010 model Failure?

Date of Failure: JAN 2012
Year: 2010
Make: POL
Model: RMK
Mileage: 690
Engine Displacement:800
Track Length: 155
Brand of fuel and octane: 91OCTANE
Oil Used: POL VES GOLD 2
Mapping: STOCK
Ethanol Resistor connected:?
Elevation that you ride: 8000-12000FT
Area's or locations that you ride: COLORADO

MODS: SLP CAN AND 10-56 WEIGHTS ONLY.

------This sled has now been down for 5 weeks due to loss of compression in the right cyl if your sitting on the seat. I am not a mechanic and the warranty ran out in aug. "middle of the summer" after the ultimate run-around between polaris dealers its looking positive that polaris is going to warrnty it for me. due to the year and low miles.

------There were no warning signs prior to this failure! sled was running great then shortly after lunch break it started to trip the D.E.T. sensor making it run slow.
COMPRESSION TEST: 105 LEFT 70 RIGHT only 700 miles on sled

Modifications, Turbo's, Pipes, Cans, Brands
Fuel Controller's
Intake Modifications
Clutch Mod's, kit
Fuel filter Replacement, when and at what mileage
Aftermarket Boards...
Drop N Roll
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer

Warranty yes or no
When did Warranty Expire
Updated Pistons yes or no
Type of Failure ie Piston, (from lean, deto,oil ) Crank and or Bearing, Rod, etc.
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
Date of Failure: march 2012
Year: 2008 with 2010 motor
Make: POL
Model: RMK
Mileage: 560
Engine Displacement:800
Track Length: 155
Brand of fuel and octane: 91OCTANE
Oil Used: POL VES GOLD 2
Mapping: pcv with dynotech map, 2010 map in stock computer
Ethanol Resistor connected:yes
Elevation that you ride: 6000-10000FT
Area's or locations that you ride: montana

MODS: hps CAN AND 10-60 WEIGHTS ONLY. green and pink primary spring

------chased det issue for 2 rides, changed sensor and fuel filter, lost piston skirt, took out monoblock and case

-----
modifications, Turbo's, Pipes, Cans, Brands
Fuel Controller's - dynojet pcv
Intake Modifications - fire and ice vent kit, sealed air box
Clutch Mod's, carls kit
Gearing, if other than stock - 19-42
Fuel filter Replacement, when and at what mileage- replaced filter 50 miles before
Engine mods, t-stat mods, porting, etc.- none
Aftermarket Boards...- better boards
Drop N Roll- none
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer- new 2010 motor 500 miles ago

Warranty yes or no- no
When did Warranty Expire- last year
Updated Pistons yes or no- yes
Type of Failure ie Piston, (from lean, deto,oil ) Crank and or Bearing, Rod, etc.
piston skirt
none
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure[/QUOTE]- det sensor goin off

Mar 17, 2009
2 failures

Date of 1st Failure: November 2011
Model: 2010 - 800 Assault RMK
Mileage : 650 miles
Track Length : 146"
Brand of fuel and octane : Shell 91
Oil Used : Polaris full synthetic
Mapping : Stcok
Ethanol Resistor connected : Yes
Elevation that you ride : 600'
Area's or locations that you ride : Manitoba, backcountry
Mods : none , completely stock
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer: none at the dealer, cleaned exhaust valves myself
Warranty : yes , changed both pistons, rings and block
Updated Pistons: yes
Type of Failure : piston, excessive detonation according to Polaris
Compression Test : 65 and 105
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure : No
Injector Color: ??
Type of Sled Transportation: open deck trailer , very little trailering
Sled Storage : heated garage
Weather Conditions, Air Temp on the date of failure : -20 Celcius
How may miles into the ride failure occurred : 35 miles
Has clutch been balanced: no

Date of 2nd Failure: March 11/12
Model : 2010 - 800 Assault RMK
Mileage : 1125 miles
Track Length: 146"
Brand of fuel and octane : Shell 91
Oil Used : Polaris full synthetic
Mapping: stock
Ethanol Resistor connected: yes
Elevation that you ride: 600'
Area's or locations that you ride: Manitoba, backcountry
Fuel Controller's : no
Intake Modifications: frog skin prefilters installed on "dash" to increase air flow. Siliconed and taped entire intake and airbox to keep snow out of the airbox.
Clutch Mod's: no
Gearing; stock
Fuel filter Replacement: no
Engine mods, t-stat mods, porting, etc.: no
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer: see above
Warranty: should be, no answer yet
When did Warranty Expire ; Dec 2013
Updated Pistons yes:
Type of Failure ie Piston, (from lean, deto,oil ) Crank and or Bearing, Rod, etc.: not sure yet
Compression Test/Results if done: have't completed yet
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure: no
Injector Color: ??
Weather Conditions, Air Temp on the date of failure: -10 Celcius
How may miles into the ride failure occurred:30 miles
Has clutch been balanced: no

S

sykosledhead

Nov 26, 2007
Dayton, WY
UPDATE

So had a real nice conversation with a flunky from Polaris CEO himself today and acording to her, Polaris doesn't have any defects in their Dragon engines and also according to her, all of you that have had engine problems is because you modified it in some way or didn't have the work done by a qualified mechanic. I was able to contact the CEO by email. His name is Scott.Wine and I was able to reach him at the polarisind.com web address. I find this really intersting and I will continue to express my discontent in their defect for now. I hope you all do the same.

syko

undergroundrmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Craig, Colorado
Date of Failure 03/02/2011
Year 2010
Make poo
Model Dragon
Mileage 1400
Engine Displacement 800
Track Length 155
Brand of fuel and octane 91
Oil Used POLARIS GOLD
Mapping 2010 up date
Ethanol Resistor connected
Elevation that you ride 7500 /11000
Skirt broke off took out basically the whole motor!
I bought the extra warranty so no cost told them to keep it I am done for the year traded it for a 13 PRO!
Forgot was bone stock no modifications what so ever!

Had an 08 also multiple failures traded for the 10 in Feb 10 no problems till march 12 then BAM!

Last edited:
H
Mar 27, 2012
Another engine failure

:face-icon-small-fro
I burnt the mag piston on the exhuast side of my Polaris 2009 Dragon 800 Switchback. I was running in marginal snow and was watching the temp climb to around 165 degrees which I assumed was not "HOT". We got to a lake where I opened it up and ran it up to around 90 mph. I then backed down and ran about 60 mph. That is when she went south. I had bought a dynojet from SLP and installed it with the 70-216A map on it. I was told by there tech staff that it would cure the midrange melt down. LOL.............not the case. I was running 91 fuel with the wires plugged together. I'm obviously a rookie at this wire crap. Just put a $3 toggle switch on for ethanol or no ethanol...........
Anyway, I bought a "Long piston kit (NAMURA) and am getting ready to assemble. SLP told me "I was on my own" with this kit." I was "On my own before" because I am paying the $1000 to rebuild the motor for the melt down. I could understand it if I was torturing the thing but I was not. I am curious if anybody is running the long piston kit with the dynojet and the 70-216A map?
My buddy had his spare 2008 700 Dragon that I rode the rest of the week. The temp on it never moved off of 125 degrees. I understand that it's a different motor but hey.........
I am also installing a front end nose cooler just to add some cooling. I'll take the extra weight of the cooler if it will help to cut down on piston failures.
The tag on my ECU says BLUE injectors.
I do agree with MAG that Polaris should belly up and take care of the folks that are having issues. I hate to hear of people switching brands to avoid piston or other major failures. I have been a Polaris fan for years, BUT also went through this exact same senario with a 900 Switchback. The 900 is gone now but I have a new lemon to deal with. I wish Polaris would come up with a fix for the issue. I do love the sled.
I sure hope I did this right (My first time)

P

phlboy

Nov 18, 2010
Engine Failure

April 2012
Dragon 800
1000 miles
800cc
153" traclk
91 non/oxy, non ethanol premium
Polaris Red
Custom mapping
-------------
Ride elevation 5-9K
Lolo Pass, Seeley Lake, Hoodoo Pass Montana
Modifications:
SLP single
Billet Head 13.5 to 1
Cylinder and case porting by SLP
V-force III reeds
Crank bearing upgrades w/ retaining ring
Torgue arm mag side
Custom wts adjustable MTX
Custom springs and helix
Holz front A-arms
Fox Float-2 shocks custom valved
Billet front spindles ARS-FX
Powder pro skiis
Fox rear transfer shock
Rolled chain case
Custom gears and chain
Extrovert drivers by Whal bros.
153 x 2.25 Camoplast track
Custom seat and cover
Running board traction powder coated
Custom vents hood/stirrup/side panels
Powder coated rails/non stick tunnel coating
Also had Voltage regulator failure and ECU fried 2011
Custom built sled by Harts Motorsports---

raptobob

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
Idaho
Date of Failure - found problem 4/21/2012
Year - 2010
Make - Polaris
Model - Dragon
Mileage - 950
Engine Displacement - 800
Track Length - 163
Brand of fuel and octane - 91 non ethanol
Oil Used - Polaris VES gold plus
Mapping - stock
Ethanol Resistor connected - unplugged
Elevation that you ride - 6-12000
Area's or locations that you ride - Snowies in WY, Island Park, ID

Modifications, Turbo's, Pipes, Cans, Brands - stock
Fuel Controller's - none
Intake Modifications - none
Clutch Mod's, kit - 60g weights
Gearing, if other than stock - stock
Fuel filter Replacement, when and at what mileage - installing now 950 miles
Engine mods, t-stat mods, porting, etc. - none
Aftermarket Boards... - betterboards
Drop N Roll - no
Any prior service or warranty work performed at the dealer -
voltage reg, oil pump (sticking)

Warranty yes or no - no
When did Warranty Expire - January 2012
Updated Pistons yes or no - pulled apart to install fix and found cracked cyl skirt. .015 of piston to cyl wall clearance
Compression Test/Results if done - no
Was check Engine Light Blinking Prior to failure - no

Injector Color ?
Type of Sled Transportation, Enclosed, Open, Deck, etc. - Open with covers
Sled Storage, Indoors, Outdoors, Enclosed Trailer, Heated Shop, Unheated, Summertime Storage, etc. - stored inside garage
Weather Conditions, Air Temp on the date of failure - unsure when it happened
How may miles into the ride failure occurred - ?

cyl.png

Last edited:

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Just a thought: When you take your sled to get fixed, what is the cause according to polaris/your dealer?

Fine if they fix it under warranty, but you should really PUSH them on the cause of failure!!! A part of reality here is we have to push through the dealers to get to polaris.

Oh! And make sure to give them he!! on their facebook site! If mine goes down, I'll put it out there with my vin-number to. If we all did that it would be traceable in their system by any polaris tech who cared to look.

Last edited:
P
Nov 27, 2007
08d8

I have been through many engines on my dragon all were under warranty and the same failure happened with every one of them. when the warranty ran out i put a pc111 on first but pistons still failed so then I put in a set of spi pistons ,1500 miles on it and no problems or any gradual loss of power like the others, which I never got more than 600 miles on any one.

So it could be a fluke or it could be that the spi pistons just work better. to me, you can see the difference when you put them in the cylinder they seem to fit better !

Premium Features