• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do you use ice scratchers?

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I run the traditional Holz scratchers on my 07 D700 RMK and my wife runs the SlideKicks cable style on her 2010 600 RMK. Both work great, but when the time come to replace my traditional style, I'll be buying the Slidekicks. She leaves them down all the time and has never had a problem with them.

S

srx_600

Apr 16, 2009
South Dakota
I have some Sta-Cools, i have only ridden about 60 miles with them. The first time i put them down i could tell they were down, sled was pushing and i could feel the drag. After a few miles they got "broke in" and never noticed them.

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
Yes,
I use them,got some of the traditional wire ones on the wife's 07 RMK 6.Had the same on my 08 D7 but one broke so now I've got some Slidekicks sitting in the garage.You can run Slidekicks in reverse and not break them;).Keeps the temps down and makes Hifax last longer.Got just over 2K on the D7 with original Hifax although I don't ride much hardpack/trail.

B
Dec 31, 2009
Slide kicks are definately the way to go with the reverse compatibility.
As well as the fact that you will be taken care of with there great warranty.Fun Fact:Did you know that slidekicks are now available with carbide tips.

www.icescratcher.com

R
Nov 27, 2007
Plain City, UT
I have had the Spring style on my past three sleds. We have found a way to make then last forever as long as you don't back up with them down.

If you go the hardware store and get 1/4" threaded rod connectors and thread the end of the spring then you can just replace the end for $.15 a side.

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
I have a M7 and it overheats easily, I have tried rail scratchers and Ski scratchers, both left a lot to be desired when there is 2" of fresh on top of hardpack, they threw almost nothing, I made my own with wings to throw snow into the track.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
haha don't forget they're down when you back up... schnap haha:beer;
I run Scorchers brand scratchers on my sled (bought them from a forum member here... paragadgets IIRC... he makes them) and I've backed up on them a handful of times and they have never even bent. If you mount them with the short end on top of your suspension rail instead of in a hole, they will flip over when you back up.
The slidekicks have failed to impress me much, not a bad idea but they don't seem to work as well as the spring style scratchers.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
ya know, considering what i have read on here im really surprised at how many of you say they are a must. When i got my first mountain sled this last fall i really thought i would need them to ride in the black hills. But even last weekend i rode in about 3-4inchs of pack TRAILS for at least an hour at a time for quite awhile and as long as i hopped off the trail for awhile i never really got hotter than 140. Then again that might be cuz i only weigh 145 ;)

Premium Features