• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 800 goes down

D
Dec 25, 2009
my 08 800 with latest polaris update lost mag side piston today, third motor in 1300 miles. it didn't seize this time , just went bog,bog, coast , blah. was cruising down trail and started to get on it a bit an the more i gave the more the r's dropped. sled has always had a bit of a low rpm issue, but i must say has ran the best with latest update. has slp single pipe an can v force reeds, 19/42 gears 155 track. i like the way the sled handles, the suspension, ect. BUT i have a 01 700 yammy with 9000 miles has almost every hop up doo dad you can do an the ol girl is dependable as hell. i hope polaris figures this out cause i can't take much more gettin toed out. luckily today we were on the road! just my 2 cents i'll get off my soap box now.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Bottineau ND
Somethings wrong with my 08 D8 because it has been perfect from day one!

but still you SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BUY anything just to ride the darn sled, yeah its a small price to pay to make it right. i guess its to exspected for us consumers to put money into our polaris to make it rite, even though you just spent 10k.

i guess what i mean "us" as the people who buy these sleds give way to much leway to polaris almost as we exspect them to need aftermarket parts "just" to ride them. iam not saying they should be clutched perfect ect, but you should be able to ride the hell out of them out of the box and not haveing to worry if you brought a tow strap just in case

440 dart

You have a list a mile long of stuff you have added to your D7 down by your name under your posts! Did you need all that to make the D7 run? NO. So what is the complaint about buying something your sled actually needs?
There is obviously a fuel mapping problem on the D8's so the best thing to do is deal with it. A Power commander is CHEAP compared to all the other crap we put on our sleds we don't need. PC3 is cheaper than a pipe,cheaper than a set of aftermarket skis, and not that much more than a can. No one is *****ing about buying all those items. IF YOU DON"T ADDRESS THE FUEL MAP ISSUE YOUR GOING TO HAVE A PROBLEM SOME TIME! My 08 D8 is bone stock with the original 08 single ring pistons and 08 original map. I do have a SLP power commander, SLP pipe and air intake venting. My sled has run perfect so far and I am on the start of the 3rd season. Not one single issue and still the original belt. I have replaced 1 spark plug in all this time. Checked yesterday the compression and it was perfect and both the same still as day 1.
Now you ask why doesn't Polaris just give everyone a PC3 or PC5. THEY CAN"T because of the EPA emmision laws and they can't go around them. As a manufacturer they can't make a safe enough map that can still pass the tough emmision laws without getting very lean. I highly doubt the SLP PC3 map would pass the newer recent tough emmisions. Polaris has to meet these laws to be legal to sell the sleds. Every new map they try must meet these stupid new rules and they are having to get the maps so lean for emmisions they are having problems.

You are not going to hear from all the good running D8's because most people come here to Snowest when they have an issue not so much when they are running great. It is actually a small percent in the bigger picture of sled sales.

So if all of you still can't justify a Power commander sell all the other aftermarket crap we all put on [skis, pipe, can, wraps, lightweight pieces, colored do dads, scratchers, sno bungees, tunnel bags, bumpers, etc.] here on Snowest forums and then use that money to buy the PC3 or PC5 controller.

So far I haven't even had the voltage regulator problem either. I guess now that I admitted all this I may have jinxed myself but I doubt it. And what are the odds when the same sled keeps going thru voltage regulators. I am betting something else electrical is going on in these cases.

Unfortunatly this is the situation we have been dealt so DEAL WITH IT!

Sorry to unload but enough is enough. This situation does suck when you are spending big money for a new sled. IF you want to blame some one blame the EPA emmisions laws and how they are getting tougher each year.

Last edited:
R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
VR & ECU Failures

Skibreeze, I agree with you that the failure rate is way too high on all of the polaris sleds with VR & ECU Failures. I still can not understand why no one has came up with some sort update or repair like a inline fuse, overload protection circuit breaker, a better VR, or some other fail safe option to stop this from contiuing to happen? I was only trying to say between the polaris lean fuel maps to meet 2 stroke emissions the PCV has helped correct that part of the concern so there are less melt downs. But you are right there is a bigger problem with the VR & ECU concerns. I also believe it is only a matter of time until it happens to all of us. Polaris has known about this failure for years so why haven't they came out with update or repair to correct this? I know it sounds like they keep warranting these sldes but that has to be coming to a end soon too? I have a friend who is working on trying to use a circuit breaker designed for avionics in expiermental or home built aircraft where the circuit breaker protects the avionics if the VR fails so I will let you know if his idea works? So far it lloks promising but you would still have to tow your sled out or go get a new VR? I would like to see this problem be resolved. For me life is better with the glass half full instead of have empty IMO.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
440 dart

You have a list a mile long of stuff you have added to your D7 down by your name under your posts! Did you need all that to make the D7 run? NO. So what is the complaint about buying something your sled actually needs?
There is obviously a fuel mapping problem on the D8's so the best thing to do is deal with it. A Power commander is CHEAP compared to all the other crap we put on our sleds we don't need. PC3 is cheaper than a pipe,cheaper than a set of aftermarket skis, and not that much more than a can. No one is *****ing about buying all those items. IF YOU DON"T ADDRESS THE FUEL MAP ISSUE YOUR GOING TO HAVE A PROBLEM SOME TIME! My 08 D8 is bone stock with the original 08 single ring pistons and 08 original map. I do have a SLP power commander, SLP pipe and air intake venting. My sled has run perfect so far and I am on the start of the 3rd season. Not one single issue and still the original belt. I have replaced 1 spark plug in all this time. Checked yesterday the compression and it was perfect and both the same still as day 1.
Now you ask why doesn't Polaris just give everyone a PC3 or PC5. THEY CAN"T because of the EPA emmision laws and they can't go around them. As a manufacturer they can't make a safe enough map that can still pass the tough emmision laws without getting very lean. I highly doubt the SLP PC3 map would pass the newer recent tough emmisions. Polaris has to meet these laws to be legal to sell the sleds. Every new map they try must meet these stupid new rules and they are having to get the maps so lean for emmisions they are having problems.

You are not going to hear from all the good running D8's because most people come here to Snowest when they have an issue not so much when they are running great. It is actually a small percent in the bigger picture of sled sales.

So if all of you still can't justify a Power commander sell all the other aftermarket crap we all put on [skis, pipe, can, wraps, lightweight pieces, colored do dads, scratchers, sno bungees, tunnel bags, bumpers, etc.] here on Snowest forums and then use that money to buy the PC3 or PC5 controller.

So far I haven't even had the voltage regulator problem either. I guess now that I admitted all this I may have jinxed myself but I doubt it. And what are the odds when the same sled keeps going thru voltage regulators. I am betting something else electrical is going on in these cases.

Unfortunatly this is the situation we have been dealt so DEAL WITH IT!

Sorry to unload but enough is enough. This situation does suck when you are spending big money for a new sled. IF you want to blame some one blame the EPA emmisions laws and how they are getting tougher each year.

the difference between a d8 and my d7 i dont need a fuel controler just to ride it, its for my twins. your spending $400 dollars that you shouldnt have to obviously polaris can make sleds pass emissions the 600 is doing it the 700 is doing it so obviously it can be done. ski-doos 800s are doing it, cats 800 is doing it so an 800 can be made to pass without burning down sounds like your makeing a poor exscuse for polaris. instead of puting $400 into something that is rediculous you could spend it on slp pipe or clutching or vents or put it towards a better track, or suspension

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
i understand that you have to use a controler just sucks because the 2011 sleds will probley have to use a controler to not blow up also, sure would be nice for those who buy a $10k 2011 to put the money towards better performance

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
440Dart
You don't own a 800 so why the heck do you run your mouth on something that does not affect you.

doesnt affect me at all but it affects YOU if you own a d8 might make others think twice about other brands they could put the $400 towards something better than trying to make your sled NOT blow up

its kind like if polaris put a wrong sized piston in every 800 produced yeah might run for a little while but will blow sooner or later it will blow sure its only a $100 part "but you guys spend a ton of money on this sport anyway so $100 isnt a big deal right?" but when you get towed back miss rideing time but hey i guess its the same as fuel controller issue just take the piston out put the correct one in and your good to go

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
440Dart
You don't own a 800 so why the heck do you run your mouth on something that does not affect you.

silver you are rite why am i here seems like you guys got enough problems seems posts keep poping up left and right with d8 problems dont need me here rubbing it in, just trying get some guys motivaded to say something to polaris "not that it will help" look at the 900 then this but if enough guys complained and threatend to never buy a polaris and tell everyone they know not to buy a polaris and they can prove why not to buy a polaris due to the problems had a 1000 guys call ect to threatin them it might have a effect on polaris maybe maybe not they didnt seem to listen, from the 900 to this i dont think they listen to there consumers

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
silver you are rite why am i here seems like you guys got enough problems seems posts keep poping up left and right with d8 problems dont need me here rubbing it in, just trying get some guys motivaded to say something to polaris "not that it will help" look at the 900 then this but if enough guys complained and threatend to never buy a polaris and tell everyone they know not to buy a polaris and they can prove why not to buy a polaris due to the problems had a 1000 guys call ect to threatin them it might have a effect on polaris maybe maybe not they didnt seem to listen, from the 900 to this i dont think they listen to there consumers

Dart, do you honestly think polaris doesnt want to fix these sleds once and for all?..you dont think over the last 3 yrs polaris hasnt spent some serious dollars to fix these right?Do you even have a clue what it cost /what it takes to get a fuel map through the epa and passed for use?..as I said before ..go deal with your own sled..if you feel your help is needed..give it to the guys riding the same sled as you..or go buy a dragon 8 and come join in....why dont you start a thread with a poll asking the D-8 guys how many want your input on their sleds?..good bet not one guy is going to say they do....

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
lol i bet that they wont. obviously they have known it was going to be a problem the 1st year it was produced. after putting in all these pistons heads cylinders some bottom ends that were damaged from loosing the top end "in some cases" it could of happend. so wouldnt it of been easyier to change engine configuration instead of beating around the bush costing them more money anyway because there still blowing up, no matter what there doing its still blowing up. 2more years later there still produceing the exact same problematic sleds

SO NO THESE SLEDS ARE NOT FIXED RIGHT

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
lol i bet that they wont. obviously they have known it was going to be a problem the 1st year it was produced. after putting in all these pistons heads cylinders some bottom ends that were damaged from loosing the top end "in some cases" it could of happend. so wouldnt it of been easyier to change engine configuration instead of beating around the bush costing them more money anyway because there still blowing up, no matter what there doing its still blowing up. 2more years later there still produceing the exact same problematic sleds

SO NO THESE SLEDS ARE NOT FIXED RIGHT

well..bring your 7 on up and I'll be happy to show you a not fixed right D-8....better yet..go buy everyones D-8 that is running bad..then you can sue polaris and get them fixed for everyone.....or maybe you can buy 500 PC-5's from Jim(am sure he will give you a volume price) and hand them out on here to the guys sleds who are running bad..

D

devomx302

Nov 29, 2007
Royal City, WA
440 dart= bad reality television............ we all don't want to watch it, or care about what it says, but it fuels the fire without the answers!

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
As a manufacturer they can't make a safe enough map that can still pass the tough emmision laws without getting very lean.

You just hit the nail on the head. Maybe they are in the wrong business. :rolleyes: You can't blame the EPA. Everyone is in the same boat here. Auto manufactures, motorcycles, watercraft even lawn mowers have to meet EPA regulations.
Polaris isn't doing anything technically advanced with port timing, intake charge or head design. Look closely at what they are doing. Don't any of you find it odd that the exhaust valve happens to be held closed right through the lean spot of the mapping? They are choking the motor with a reduced port height when it should be bigger which allows them to give less fuel at that critical EPA testing range. This obviously doesn't work. Think about it, peak RPM is around 8250 and they are holding the exhaust valve closed until 68-7200 rpm:confused: Are they out of their minds? IMO those valves should easily be open by 6000. They are only there to increase low end throttle response.

Originally Posted by 440dart

Dart,
Polaris does listen. The problem is that even a child can learn from their mistakes where as Polaris refuses to. As far as being sued.....well, we will all be so old that we won't be able to ride anymore by the time the courts system would sort that out.
Personally, from the experience I've had and the lack of response I've received from Polaris there is really only one thing I can do. I will fix my sled and either ride it or sell it. Either way it is likely the last Polaris I will own.

do you honestly think polaris doesnt want to fix these sleds once and for all?..you dont think over the last 3 yrs polaris hasnt spent some serious dollars to fix these right?Do you even have a clue what it cost /what it takes to get a fuel map through the epa and passed for use?......

Oh, I'm sure they want them fixed. Lol :D And you have to admire the way they seem to be standing behind these sleds. However, there is something to be said about doing it right the first time too. Honestly though not everyone has had a good experience with their sled. For me and many others on here it has been 3yrs of headaches. No consumer should spend that kind of money and get a lemon that just sits in a shop constantly waiting for parts. I wouldn't doubt Skibreeze sled alone has $5000 worth of warranty work done to it.
By the way, I want to say how much I appreciate the inside info that both you and Ron provide. We may not always get answers from Polaris, but you really come through. Keep up the good work. :beer;:)

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
well..bring your 7 on up and I'll be happy to show you a not fixed right D-8....better yet..go buy everyones D-8 that is running bad..then you can sue polaris and get them fixed for everyone.....or maybe you can buy 500 PC-5's from Jim(am sure he will give you a volume price) and hand them out on here to the guys sleds who are running bad..

really ????? you want me to come all the way up to alaska. i really wanted a d8 thats what i wanted my dealer didnt have one now that ive rode a 5 or 6 of them i think i will stick with my 7

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
You just hit the nail on the head. Maybe they are in the wrong business. :rolleyes: You can't blame the EPA. Everyone is in the same boat here. Auto manufactures, motorcycles, watercraft even lawn mowers have to meet EPA regulations.
Polaris isn't doing anything technically advanced with port timing, intake charge or head design. Look closely at what they are doing. Don't any of you find it odd that the exhaust valve happens to be held closed right through the lean spot of the mapping? They are choking the motor with a reduced port height when it should be bigger which allows them to give less fuel at that critical EPA testing range. This obviously doesn't work. Think about it, peak RPM is around 8250 and they are holding the exhaust valve closed until 68-7200 rpm:confused: Are they out of their minds? IMO those valves should easily be open by 6000. They are only there to increase low end throttle response.

Dart,
Polaris does listen. The problem is that even a child can learn from their mistakes where as Polaris refuses to. As far as being sued.....well, we will all be so old that we won't be able to ride anymore by the time the courts system would sort that out.
Personally, from the experience I've had and the lack of response I've received from Polaris there is really only one thing I can do. I will fix my sled and either ride it or sell it. Either way it is likely the last Polaris I will own.

Oh, I'm sure they want them fixed. Lol :D And you have to admire the way they seem to be standing behind these sleds. However, there is something to be said about doing it right the first time too. Honestly though not everyone has had a good experience with their sled. For me and many others on here it has been 3yrs of headaches. No consumer should spend that kind of money and get a lemon that just sits in a shop constantly waiting for parts. I wouldn't doubt Skibreeze sled alone has $5000 worth of warranty work done to it.
By the way, I want to say how much I appreciate the inside info that both you and Ron provide. We may not always get answers from Polaris, but you really come through. Keep up the good work. :beer;:)

monte has a better way to put it then i do but in essance there still beating around the bush

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana

you gave me a very prophitable idea AK i should buy every pc out there since every one of you is going to need one might not be a bad idea:confused:, i have yet to see a d8 run good so until i do i will continue to call them "turds"

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
Just thought i would repost this:D iam i the only one that thinks this

I have to agree with 440dart on this. These are problematic sleds from the factory. The motors don't even meet Polaris engine tolerances when they leave the factory floor. What is that saying. :confused: Before you write off his comments try looking at it from a different perspective.
I can tell you over the years with all the sleds I've owned, I have never had to add parts to make them run right and be reliable. And to top it off, this is by far the most expensive sled I have ever owned. :mad: My $10,500 dollars looks like a scrap heap scattered across my garage and work bench.
With less that 800 mountain ridden miles my sled is just showing one issue after another and has been that way since the day I got it. I can honestly say I have wrenched more than I have ridden. I can't believe some of you guys are ok with these braking and then having them fixed under warranty. :confused: They shouldn't be braking at all.
Please try to understand that for most of you something like that may ruin your day as you live close to where you ride. For others it takes 12 hours of drive time to have our vacation flat our ruined. :( And this sled has done this to me twice already luckily never from a blown motor.
I can tell some of you have either never owned better produced sleds. Or, by nature are just more care free. I am very meticulous by nature and what should by fun riding is constantly shrouded by my worrying if my sled is going to brake or not. I have been stressed beyond belief and loosing sleep nightly as to what I'm going to do about my sled. Polaris won't even give me the common courtesy of replying to a letter I sent or even an email or a phone call. :mad: I see exactly how important I am to them. :mad: So with a sled with only 800 miles on it, I wondering how to fix it or if I will have something to ride in 3 weeks. Or, if I will be borrowing or buying a Yamaha. For all intents and purposes my sled should still be considered brand new.
I had Yamaha 2 strokes with 7000 and 5000 miles that were still running perfect when I sold them. I work with a guy with 10,000 miles on his Viper and is still waiting for something to go wrong with it. Yet some of you are willing to accept that it is just fine for these things to continually fail. :confused:Polaris is easily 10yrs behind building a motor that meets the standards of the Japanese manufactures. And Yamaha doesn't even build one anymore.

Had I taken my sled to the dealer for an update, mine would have blown guaranteed in less than ten miles from the truck. This would have been from another issue I found. These things are not acceptable no matter what you guys say. This is poor quality control. How are you guys comfortable replacing known faulty parts with more know faulty parts. :confused: And please don't tell me to take it to my dealer. He is 600 miles away and this isn't his problem. It is a Polaris problem and I am not comfortable with them replacing parts with more parts that are going to fail within another 800 miles. I can't believe you guys can support this. You all have thicker skin than I. :beer;:)
Right now I'm hoping the throttle body boots from the 900 fit the 800 since I can get those aftermarket.
And having to add a fuel controller should be a thing to fine tune, not correct running issues.
Sorry for my rant, but if this was happening to you I guarantee you would feel the same way. :rolleyes:

K
Nov 27, 2007
D8

The d8 is not the first sled Polaris has had problems with, you guys should not be surprised did any one read all the posts on the 900 before they purchased a D8.

C
Dec 20, 2009
really ????? you want me to come all the way up to alaska. i really wanted a d8 thats what i wanted my dealer didnt have one now that ive rode a 5 or 6 of them i think i will stick with my 7

If your to scared to go to Alaska and ride, then come up to Colorado and I will show you a D8 that runs. All it has is a slp pipe, gearing and clutching.

But if you do go to Alaska take a set of ball joints for your dodge, there not alot of places open this time of year across the Yukon Territory.

Premium Features