• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 800 goes down

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
apparently they forgot to put in the owners manual with big bold letters "caution may blow up at anytime" then in caps "THIS IS NORMAL" take it to your closest dealer if this occurs i would rather deal with junk shocks wireing issues then haveing internal engine parts scattered around in the belly pan. what about the guys that are having problems that are out of warranty did you think about that. i understand they cant make everything perfect but you shouldnt need a new engine every 400mi maybe my standards are high for you guys

Did who think about that?

Of course they are.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Guys Guys Guys, settle down a little bit. There are valid points being made on both sides of the fence here, but lets not turn this into personal attacks of each other.
We all get a bad apple once in awhile.
When I decided to buy my 08 I was convinced that after the crank issues on the 2000-05 800s and the issues with the 900s that this thing would be bullet proof. I guess I feel I was wrong. :( From a consumer standpoint I am very dissatisfied with my purchase. Not much I can do about that. Would I recommend one to friends? Probably not, but that is how people make decisions. If someone reads about 1 person having problems and 100 happy customers, hey I would probably buy one. Now if read about multiple legitimate problems. Well, I'm probably less likely to take my chances with that product.
I expect a lot from myself. Which means I expect a lot from others. Which means I expect a lot from my purchases. That is just who I am. I am let down quite often. :(:p

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Hey full monte did you run with the wisecos yet? I micked mine at a tight .005 yesterday and like you said talked to wiseco and got some reassurance. I think it should run good compared to the .007 I had with my stockers. Let me guess you had rotten intake boots on your 08? Me too, I think they all rotted. Part # is new in 09, my dealeer has em in stock and they are warrantying them. I dont think they burn down from this with direct injection, they just suck alot of dirty air. Best of luck. let me know what the wisecos run like or I will post something. PS Fastrax just dynoed their set-up at dynotech research at 170HP with single pipe. So not all hope is lost.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Hey full monte did you run with the wisecos yet? I micked mine at a tight .005 yesterday and like you said talked to wiseco and got some reassurance. I think it should run good compared to the .007 I had with my stockers. Let me guess you had rotten intake boots on your 08? Me too, I think they all rotted. Part # is new in 09, my dealeer has em in stock and they are warrantying them. I dont think they burn down from this with direct injection, they just suck alot of dirty air. Best of luck. let me know what the wisecos run like or I will post something. PS Fastrax just dynoed their set-up at dynotech research at 170HP with single pipe. So not all hope is lost.

That's a bummer about your intake boots. :( I was starting to think I was one of the only ones. Thanks for making me feel not so all alone. Lol :rolleyes: So they have a new part # for the boots? I just ordered some aftermarket boots for the 900. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will fit. They are individual boots rather than the complete assembly. I guess if they don't work I will warranty the other ones. I was just afraid of the same thing happening again so I didn't warranty them yet.
My piston to cylinder mic'd right at .005 too. If Wiseco specs them at .0049 we should be all smiles. :D I haven't gotten everything back together yet. Taking the cases to get machined tomorrow and I'm still waiting on a aftermarket gasket kit. I can get most of that stuff through work so I try to take advantage of it, but some times I end up waiting. I plan on taking full advantage of the long weekend to make sure everything is 100% ready to be put back together when everything arrives.
I'm betting you will have your's on the snow before me. Keep us posted.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Let me guess, your 2010 monoblock requires machining of the cases? Did you have wear marks on the intake side of your pistons from rocking against the bottom of the cylinder wall? I did, the stock pistons were so loose and the single ring provides such little support that they have some serious wear marks. Way beyond scoring. I will post some pics. You may have lucked out dropping your monoblock and having to buy a new one.

440 dart, I dont like the negative tude considering you dont have a d8, however I will give it to you that Yamaha produces way higher quality components than polaris. I think it has always been like this. Just for example look at the cast job on the intake area of the cases and in the transfers of the monoblock. I found a piece of mill debris the size of my pinky nail lodged in a inside corner in the intake tract of my d8. No surprise that good tuners can get big gains with a quality port job. Happy Holidays everyone and dont do anything too stupid.

O

OLD GOAT

Nov 26, 2007
Lyons, Colorado
It sure seems to me that some dragons are just P.O.S's and some are not. Mine, skibreezes & the full monte's fall in the P.O.S catagory. I had a 2000 Yamaha Mtn max & and 2006 Apex with ZERO problems. The Apex was just too heavy for a mountain sled, but i knew it would never break. My son has a 2008 m8 with a boondocker turbo and has had no problems in 1500 miles of very hard riding. Polaris really has some big problems.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
yes i have a bad attitude towards the d8 i mean shouldnt i? you just listed all issues of poor quality control. in the end your perfectly happy haveing a problematic sled maybe theres something wrong with me i dont know maybe i just would feel ripped off/dissapointed that my sleds getting worked on instead of rideing it

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
yes i have a bad attitude towards the d8 i mean shouldnt i? you just listed all issues of poor quality control. in the end your perfectly happy haveing a problematic sled maybe theres something wrong with me i dont know maybe i just would feel ripped off/dissapointed that my sleds getting worked on instead of rideing it

I do have a bad attitude about the repeated issues on my sled. I am also having issues with your complete lack of capitalization, punctuation, and spelling accuracy.;)

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Let me guess, your 2010 monoblock requires machining of the cases? Did you have wear marks on the intake side of your pistons from rocking against the bottom of the cylinder wall? I did, the stock pistons were so loose and the single ring provides such little support that they have some serious wear marks. Way beyond scoring. I will post some pics. You may have lucked out dropping your monoblock and having to buy a new one.

440 dart, I dont like the negative tude considering you dont have a d8, however I will give it to you that Yamaha produces way higher quality components than polaris. I think it has always been like this. Just for example look at the cast job on the intake area of the cases and in the transfers of the monoblock. I found a piece of mill debris the size of my pinky nail lodged in a inside corner in the intake tract of my d8. No surprise that good tuners can get big gains with a quality port job. Happy Holidays everyone and dont do anything too stupid.

The funny thing is that I do feel lucky that I dropped my mono block. Lol :rolleyes: Not many people would, but in the end I found some other issues that needed fixing. Don't think I would have found the throttle body boot issue otherwise. And yes, I can confirm that the 2010 mono block requires machining of the upper case on the older motors to accept the newer block. Inconvenience yes, but not a huge deal. They did beef them up quite a bit for 2010. I suppose I should get some comparison pics up here one of these days huh. ;) My dealer put me in contact with the guy that builds the race motors for the Polaris snow cross team. He is doing the work. I was considering having him port it too, but I just don't have the spare cash sitting around. I will be sure to look over the ports real well when I get them back. I was going to do a little cleaning and polishing anyway. :D
Yeah, the pistons were doomed to failure. I'm surprised some people were getting as many miles on them as they were. Mine rocked pretty bad in there and were showing an unusual amount of wear considering the short miles. I know there are motors out there running single ring pistons with no issue. See it dirt bikes quite a bit. I don't know that much about it, but I think things such as pin location and crank throw have a lot to do with side forces generated on pistons. Like I said, I just don't know enough about it. This setup just wasn't the best design for it I guess. Again, I can be thankful that mine never burned down. I think my time was sure coming though.
Happy New years to you as well. And yes, nobody do anything stupid. ;):beer;

C
Dec 20, 2009

Dart why do you have such a bad attitude about something you do not even own? You don't have one so why the h3ll should you even worry about it go to artic cat and worry about there propblems.

Also for someone thinking that you should not have to spend money to get there sled to run, you sure have alot of mods on yours.

I also see you own a mega cab. I know of three people around here that have had to have the ball joints replaced at under 30,000 miles, including mine. Which was replaced under warrenty, much like the problems on here with the D8's. So this must mean it is a serious problem so we should all get together and sue dodge for making faulty front ends. (I know this last part is completely off subject but felt the need to point out that your bad attitude is only towards D8's. And if your dodge front end is still together it is probably cause you drive it like you ride your sled, mainly from the mouth. And hope it goes out before 36,000 so it gets fixed under warrenty.)

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
mine megacab only has 2400 mi on i have a ways to go but hey least you can still drive it and it dont blow up?????? would i pic $7500 engine or $400 for balljoints since were useing trucks lets say dodge lets there deisel pickups out you go on a 400mi trip and the engine blows you get it towed you wait a week you get it back you drive it 200 mi it blows up you get it towed you wait a week you drive it 2000mi it blows up are you going to be happy???? NO its the same perspective as you polaris or lets put it in another perspective say a family guy gos out gets a couple of rmk 800s for him and his son or what ever hes not mechanicly inclined like alot of people on here hes going to be takeing in his sleds left and right hes going to think these things are a pos if he hasnt figured out by now that there not well built and hes in for his 6th top end. DO YOU THINK WHEN HE GO'S TO BUY ANOTHER SLED ITS GOING TO BE A POLARIS????????? no why would he deal with that.

It just seems some of you are perfectly content with dealing with poor quality let out by polaris obviously they can put out a good product look at the 600/700 platform really dont think its fair for you guys to have to put up with this

Last edited by a moderator:

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
also do you not know much about sleds???? i have mods to support my other mods just like when you add an slp pipe you need a differnet tune "more" fuel i run a fuel controller because slp dosnt have a tune for my 700 that i know of to run twins i have twins for more power, i have a fuel controller well because more power means you need more fuel, 174 well because stock polaris 163 sucks, i changed gears because of the 174 and i dont ever go over 60mph, and drivers because pitch is different on camo ex and polaris drivers suck cuz i had to run my stock track super tight to keep from ratcheting and iced up the drivers

dragonfire

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Fargo,N.D.
Attitude

440 dart I agree with you about polaris should build an 800 that everyone with no mechanical knowledge can ride. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. I can not change POLARIS, so I own a ten thosand dollar sled that I can fix with EGTS and a fuel box,that I have control over. I am happy with both of my 800s and choose to surround myself with positive people and events. If I disliked my sleds I would buy probably an 800 Artic Cat or ski-doo. Life is a choice, to complain about ones poor choice and not making a choice to correct is a waste of precious time in your life. Remember it is what you learn after you know it all that counts. Try the positive side of life the rewards are great.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Positive Attitudes

Dragonfire, Hey nice post you are so correct life is too short and the glass should always be half full and not half empty. Seriously though the D8 has had some problems but with a $400 in upgrades for a pc5 you just cant go wrong with this sled.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
$400 dollars just to ride it i just dont think thats fair should come ready to ride. now if the owner was not happy with clutching suspension ect he could change that at his own exspense. i see that walker evans is tightening up there side by takeing care of there quality control issues i was one of the unlucky few my sled rides like crap comepared to some others i have rode.

with the update i realy think its a bandaid fix the reason why correct me if iam wrong. looking through the turbo iq forum guys are haveing a terrible time with deto on the new update. so there getting deto with a lower compression head so polaris must be putting a ton of timeing in to try and help compensate for powerloss from the lower comp head lots of timeing and boost dont mix major engine failure. correct me if iam wrong maybe theres some other variables iam not looking at.

i really dont think the new update makes as much power, lower compression is not a hp maker in n/a world, forced induction now thats a different story. somebody needs to dyno there sled before the update and after that would really tell the story.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
$400 dollars just to ride it i just dont think thats fair should come ready to ride. now if the owner was not happy with clutching suspension ect he could change that at his own exspense. i see that walker evans is tightening up there side by takeing care of there quality control issues i was one of the unlucky few my sled rides like crap comepared to some others i have rode.

with the update i realy think its a bandaid fix the reason why correct me if iam wrong. looking through the turbo iq forum guys are haveing a terrible time with deto on the new update. so there getting deto with a lower compression head so polaris must be putting a ton of timeing in to try and help compensate for powerloss from the lower comp head lots of timeing and boost dont mix major engine failure. correct me if iam wrong maybe theres some other variables iam not looking at.

i really dont think the new update makes as much power, lower compression is not a hp maker in n/a world, forced induction now thats a different story. somebody needs to dyno there sled before the update and after that would really tell the story.

mine rips just as hard if not harder then it did with the 08 or 09 map..and mine feels like it puts out every ounce of the polaris claimed 154 hp..as well as the 161 that slp claims with the single on it...it ran right with a 180-185 hp vertical escape with same track on both sleds.......As I have said before..while the maps are lean mid/fat up high..if the sled is properly setup by someone who knows how..and all the gremlins are repaired..the sleds rip...and as I said before..let it go..enjoy what you ride and let others enjoy their rides....

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
mine rips just as hard if not harder then it did with the 08 or 09 map..and mine feels like it puts out every ounce of the polaris claimed 154 hp..as well as the 161 that slp claims with the single on it...it ran right with a 180-185 hp vertical escape with same track on both sleds.......As I have said before..while the maps are lean mid/fat up high..if the sled is properly setup by someone who knows how..and all the gremlins are repaired..the sleds rip...and as I said before..let it go..enjoy what you ride and let others enjoy their rides....

still dont think they make as much power not sure how much hp loss from the head and not sure of how much hp can be gained with timeing to compensate. better yet somebody dyno before the update then dyno with just the head then dyno with head/tune "complete update" solve the mystery of the hp

Premium Features