• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 800 goes down

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
i can see it now going to get flamed for saying a 1000 with slp setup only put 20 yards on me. i dont know maybe it wasnt setup rite or maybe my 7 was built on a wednesday:D.

C
Dec 20, 2009
i did not say cat was a bad sled at all in fact i was saying they had the best engine out there everybody says the new cat is a powerhouse now but they have said that time and time agian. ive ridden with m8's and 1000s neither of them impressed me at all. i was trading marks with a 1000 162 with slp setup my dragon 700 was stock barely broke in and he could only put 20yards on me i just wont get a cat due to my buddy with our little competition if i got a cat i would never hear the end of it.

and i cant help it that when theres alot more threads stating d8 problems or d8 burned down and i read them and then theres ten other guys that post saying they have the same problem and your not the only one. so i guess i am wrong i dont own a 800 and these threads must be a part of my imagination, or your like monte said one of those guys with a little thicker skin than we do like you and the 900 guys that think they have an awsome sled they dont mind knowing there going to need a crank every 250-1500mi

I'm not saying the d8s don,t have problems. I was only saying they are not the only ones. I know of at least three people that are having problems with there 2010 doos.

They all have problems.

I also know a guy that has 3500 miles on his 900 and no crank problems

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
these are post from one thread there are multible threads on here with guys not likeing performance or haveing a ton of problems do i need to find more. if iam being misimformed iam sorry

I had the 2010 updated parts and flashes put on my 08 dragon 800 a few months ago it blew up this morning. I made it about 125 miles on the new parts. this will make the 6th top end in a year and I have also had a complete new block due to a retarded mechanic. In my opinion we should file a class action lawsuit against polaris. as soon as I have the extra money and my dragon is fixed again I'm trading in for an m8 sno pro

just failing in performace for mine, hope the pc5 fixes that

I know of 1 failure with update.

But not setting the world on fire either. Mine ran way better before the update. I have 2 friends who have 800's also and they are having the same problems. Sleds seem to idle low, not get rpms, just feel generally gutless. Seems like such a crap shoot when it comes to these things. Last year when everyone was having motor problems, mine ran great. (Besides the chaincase crapping out twice) Hopefully I will get it figured out, I like the sled when it runs right.

Last edited by a moderator:

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
yes the all have problems some more than others and the new d8 is that "more than others"

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Ok, I skipped past some of the posts on here.

Mountainhorse hit it on the head. If not for the 4M, the Polaris issues (as well as other manf. issues) wouldn't be so blown out of porportion. I'm not saying the problems don't exist, but as someone else stated, it's a small number than some would think.

440 - you don't have an 800 but you are the first to flame on the 800cfi every post that has anything negative to be said. That's like me running over to the Ski-Doo group and bagging on their clutching or other issues. Why do you feel compelled to contribute your negativity? It's bad enough for the guys who do have the problems.

All that being said, I just got done riding for two days solid riding on Wolf Creek. My 09 D8 was rock solid! Updated and I do have a fuel controller. I agree that we shouldn't have to have a fuel controller, but the carb guys have to rejet, so what's so bad about a $350 controller to make it run hard? Oh yeah, my brother's non-updated Assault was dead on as well.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
well my first post stated that i was sorry all this was happening to these guys THEN guys chime in saying you should exspect to buy a fuel controller of some sort just to ride it, then theres some who say the 800s have very little problems and its not a big deal.

i guess i was a little to negative, just if it was me i would really be pissed and want this to get out as much as possible i would just think polaris would not want to deal with a mess like this AGAIN.

but if you guys are fine with burning down getting towed out, looseing rideing time and haveing to put $350 into a brand new $10,000 sled just to ride it down the trail, WELL I GUESS IAM FINE WITH IT TOO;)

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Dealer has a kit coming straight from the factory and will hopfully have it hear today....... gotta have her going for the new years day ride.:D
Glad to hear you are going to have yours going. :) I have parts on order and a 4 day weekend where I should be riding, but no sled. I will be wrenching. :(
This may or may not be as bad as the forum makes it sound, but from what some of the local dealers tell me........it is. Some of them have had 100% fail rate last season.
I'm done stressing about it. I have accepted the fact that Polaris is just writing me off as one more unsatisfied customer. I will fix it, but I'm using every aftermarket part I can get my hands on. That way I will have at least some confidence it will be reliable.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
monte, glad to hear you can get parts, hopefully it will work for you this time. but still a major bummer you are wrenching rather than riding. i think we have all been there before though...

440, i think you need a yamaha.

pv

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
i would much rather have a yamaha but for my style of rideing they dont work so good, had a turbo rx-1 once:D,

yes we have all been there before but not with our brandnew stock machine with 400mi on it:eek: but like the previous post you should exspect it

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
I'm a doo guy and worked at a dealer ship, the problems seems to be way worse in all these sites then i've ever seen at the shop every body has there own issuse,but that been said if a controller makes it better GET ONE,DOO's need a few changes CAT needs a few changes YAMAHA needs a turbo,there built for the general public it's up to us to custom fit to ower rideing preffrence,THERE NOT ALL BAD ive gone from cat to yamaha on this site after reading all the b@tching of all brands i wish KAWASAKI would make sleds again LOL

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
well my first post stated that i was sorry all this was happening to these guys THEN guys chime in saying you should exspect to buy a fuel controller of some sort just to ride it, then theres some who say the 800s have very little problems and its not a big deal.

i guess i was a little to negative, just if it was me i would really be pissed and want this to get out as much as possible i would just think polaris would not want to deal with a mess like this AGAIN.

but if you guys are fine with burning down getting towed out, looseing rideing time and haveing to put $350 into a brand new $10,000 sled just to ride it down the trail, WELL I GUESS IAM FINE WITH IT TOO;)

You are one passive aggressive dude. Your posts have the same MO, state your sympathy for "us" blinded 800 owners then crank the screw in a little more with an arrogant " I'm just saying" or "if it were me" comment. It seems unusual to want to debate with actual owners this much about a sled that you don't own. Maybe something more to it or not, but I myself, am more interested in other member's(800 owners) actual experiences than reading over and over what you say we should think and do about all this. If it takes $400 to make it run right, isn't that a better option than selling it for a $2000 loss or having sit at the shop. To save you from repeating it again, we know we shouldn't have to but I also know that some spend that much on seatcovers and graphics.
And if I am out of line, my low post count has nothing to do with it, before it's mentioned.

Last edited:
S
Nov 17, 2009
Everett, Wa.
I'm starting a snowmobile company

I'm going to start my own snowmobile company.
All I need to do is design a machine that handles as well on a groomed trail as boondocking, and will out highmark everybody. It will be the lightest sled on the market and have the highest horsepower numbers. It will have the fastest top speed, but will run all day at 1500 rpms without fouling a plug. Anyone buying one will be guaranteed that if another manufacturer tops its numbers they will receive a free update in perpituity.
It will come with a lifetime powertrain warranty and bumper to bumper 10 years. The hood will be unbreakable plastic. Shocks and bushings will be made of a lifetime material. It will meet all emission standards to satisfy the environmentalists. Thanks to computer controlled sound cancelling technology it will only put out 50db sound at WOT. lt will, however be convertable to the loudest sled on the hill with a knob on the dash. It also can be adjusted to sound like a two stroke, four stroke, Ferrari V12 or whatever.
All the parts will be made in the U.S. and it will be assembled by Union Labor. Since we will be a public corporation we will show a profit quarterly to our investors. We will offer unparralelled support to all our dealers and our parts wholesale costs will be the lowest in the industry. We will not pay dealers "flat rate" for repairs but will pay them whatever time it takes to make all warrantable repairs.
Styling and graphics will be modern yet classic, and will appeal to everybody.
It will be the safest sled ever built, able to impact a tree or rock at anything under 70 mph with no damage to rider or machine. It will not tip over under any conditions and if rider leaves the machine for any reason while under power the unit will sense that and stop in place. "Hovercraft" technology will mean the track will never dig a hole.
Oh, and it will retail for five thousand bucks or less. $1000.00 worth of gear with purchase. Free oil (55 gallon drum with pump per year) for snowcheck customers.

Oh, and I also need an investor to foot the bill.

I hope no one takes this little bit of satire too seriously. I do understand the situation. I think all the manufacturer's do the best they can given all the hurdles they face. While agreeing there is always room for improvement, I would not want to be in their shoes.
Look how much time, design know how, and money has been put into the Space Shuttle and it has blown up how many times???

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
i just dont think polaris is takeing full responsability if i can and others help get this out there more we could very possibly have better sled in future but with this passive way of not careing so why would polaris fix it if everybody was happy look forward to buying the same crappy sled in the future

i wont post anymore in this thread most of you dont want my veiw from "the other side"

good luck i hope a group of you get together and really push the issue with polaris, seems like there just beating around the bush trying to bandaid the issue buy putting on lower compression head and tuneing. maybe next year they will get tired of dealing with this stuff and redesign a new more powerfull 800:D

C
09 D8 Down Again

Just lost engine #2. 372 total miles on the machine and things aren't looking up at this point. Broken oil pump port from the factory and lost the crank in engine #1 at 240 miles. 120 miles later and engine #2 sounds like somebody is using the crank case for a bolt bin. Who knows maybe the 3rd time is a charm. Anybody interested in a good clean 1 owner?? Should have a new engine!!

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
Just lost engine #2. 372 total miles on the machine and things aren't looking up at this point. Broken oil pump port from the factory and lost the crank in engine #1 at 240 miles. 120 miles later and engine #2 sounds like somebody is using the crank case for a bolt bin. Who knows maybe the 3rd time is a charm. Anybody interested in a good clean 1 owner?? Should have a new engine!!

apparently they forgot to put in the owners manual with big bold letters "caution may blow up at anytime" then in caps "THIS IS NORMAL" take it to your closest dealer if this occurs i would rather deal with junk shocks wireing issues then haveing internal engine parts scattered around in the belly pan. what about the guys that are having problems that are out of warranty did you think about that. i understand they cant make everything perfect but you shouldnt need a new engine every 400mi maybe my standards are high for you guys

S
Nov 17, 2009
Everett, Wa.
i just dont think polaris is takeing full responsability if i can and others help get this out there more we could very possibly have better sled in future but with this passive way of not careing so why would polaris fix it if everybody was happy look forward to buying the same crappy sled in the future

i wont post anymore in this thread most of you dont want my veiw from "the other side"

good luck i hope a group of you get together and really push the issue with polaris, seems like there just beating around the bush trying to bandaid the issue buy putting on lower compression head and tuneing. maybe next year they will get tired of dealing with this stuff and redesign a new more powerfull 800:D

So you don't think Polaris cares about what is happening? In one sentence you call the fix for more reliability a "bandaid" and then wish for a complete redesign that will be "more powerful".
I'd call offering a free of charge durability update for every sled sold "taking full responsability (sic)" and am sure that the update is as comprehensive as the engineers could make it. I cannot speak as to whether there was any restrictions put on the engineering dept due to budget considerations, but coming shortly after all the concerns the 900's had that would be very short sighted. Polaris (as a company) may have some faults, but i still give them the benefit of the doubt.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
:D

apparently they forgot to put in the owners manual with big bold letters "caution may blow up at anytime" then in caps "THIS IS NORMAL" take it to your closest dealer if this occurs i would rather deal with junk shocks wireing issues then haveing internal engine parts scattered around in the belly pan. what about the guys that are having problems that are out of warranty did you think about that. i understand they cant make everything perfect but you shouldnt need a new engine every 400mi maybe my standards are high for you guys

That didn't last long. :rolleyes:

Premium Features