• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat guy seriously considering and 07 Dragon?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
dang doug..do we all need to call her and plead for ya?..............screw it..bring the dog.I have a big hunting pack the puppy will fit in..she didnt say you couldnt ride..just that you had to puppy set...........:eek:..or we could strap the puppy to tims sled..I doubt the dog would mind....

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
dang doug..do we all need to call her and plead for ya?..............screw it..bring the dog.I have a big hunting pack the puppy will fit in..she didnt say you couldnt ride..just that you had to puppy set...........:eek:..or we could strap the puppy to tims sled..I doubt the dog would mind....

As slow as I ride, we could take that tow rope Doug is proud of and put the dog out in front of me. Start training it for the iditarod! It would get so exercise and I might go alittle faster. :D

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Anyone tried some serious mods on this 7? Know turbos will rock the boat, but thinkin big-bores? See Crank Shop has a 850 kit for a small block poo 700.

And 777 from slp and 840 from Carls? Anyone?

RS

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
As slow as I ride, we could take that tow rope Doug is proud of and put the dog out in front of me. Start training it for the iditarod! It would get so exercise and I might go alittle faster. :D

Sorry I am toast.. have fun tomorrow.. She thinks your all very creative.. :rolleyes:

If I wasn't going to ArcticMan for 5 days..... :D

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
After two years on my M1000 with first a 1200 top end kit on it and now a turbo, I picked up an 09 700 RMK for "my wife" this year and I find when it's a treeday, I can ride the 700 all day long and not be tired. The only thing that is sore is my cheeks from smiling. This is a no learning curve transition from a Cat riders perspective. I also find that it doesn't lack much at all in comparison to the D8's I've ridden with.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Sorry I am toast.. have fun tomorrow.. She thinks your all very creative.. :rolleyes:

If I wasn't going to ArcticMan for 5 days..... :D

That does it then. Dawn just needs to start tagging along too and we'll get her hooked as well and you out of the house!:beer; Dougy called from Lost Lake this morning to rub it in, bright blue skies and they are tearing it up...

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
After two years on my M1000 with first a 1200 top end kit on it and now a turbo, I picked up an 09 700 RMK for "my wife" this year and I find when it's a treeday, I can ride the 700 all day long and not be tired. The only thing that is sore is my cheeks from smiling. This is a no learning curve transition from a Cat riders perspective. I also find that it doesn't lack much at all in comparison to the D8's I've ridden with.

I have heard there is little transition between the M's and the RMK's.. I really like ease at which I see these guys on RMK's manuvering in the trees and on climbs.. It seems like nothing more than steeping over the seat. No "yanking" or "pulling" to get the sled on it's side. The M I rode was that way as well.. Coming from my Crossfire this should be sweet. I hope it's in good shape.. we shall see on Monday.. :D

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
That does it then. Dawn just needs to start tagging along too and we'll get her hooked as well and you out of the house!:beer; Dougy called from Lost Lake this morning to rub it in, bright blue skies and they are tearing it up...

hatchersdogs029.jpg

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Well I took the 700 Dragon for a spin today and what a huge difference in feel and ride from my Crossfire and even the M7 I rode. First off, the snow sucked. It was the spring snow and didn't want to let the sled lay over. My thoughts are the front end is way way to loose. Scared the hell out of me actually. Even the slightest turn on the trail made it feel like the sled was going over. Now, the WE shocks probably need re-charged and he told me afterward that he took the sway bar out so that should explain a lot of the "scare the hell out of me" feeling.

As far as ride. I like the fact that my knees were not smacking the console. I really liked that.. The thing has power and very quick response. So much so I felt a little silly for the first couple of miles getting used to the response. You know the deal, high rev, low rev, high rev, low rev.. I didn't realize how "sluggish" my Crossfire was until I hopped on this thing.

The sled just begs to lay over.. I am sure that was in part due to the soft shocks and the swaybar being removed. The center of gravity is much higher on this sled than my Crossfire and even the M7 that I rode. So that it was probably another reason for the tipsy feeling I had..

Didn't spend a lot of time on it but I can tell you this.. it is a major change from what I am used to.. Most of that comes from my trail riding mentality that the ski's and skid are planted firmly on the ground and letter rip.

I appreciate all the feedback you guys put out there for me!

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
You wont regret buying it Doug. I would probably put the sway bar back in though

x2, Nick you beat me to it. Put they sway bar back in it. It will still be a thousand times tippier than what you are used to. I rode Mike's again yesterday and Wichman's assualt. They are strange critters compared to my edge and I tend to work too hard and dump them over on myself. I would have rode AK800VE's also and tried out his happy button, but he WIMPED OUT and did not show up!!! You will love that 7 Doug. It will certainly take some time to get used to it. But in a few rides, you will do things on it that you would never be able to get your xfire to do.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
X3 on reinstalling the swaybar as it will stabilize the sled a bit more and still be able to pull it over with ease. Without it you need more spring preload/air pressure to compensate for it which equals a stiffer ride.

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Guys, I am seriously considering the sled.. The front end was down right f^7king scary. Unless you were in deep powder there was almost no control at all. I would want some fox floats or the walkers rebuilt by Carl's and the sway bar back in before I would begin to feel comfortable in anything but deep powder.

I will say this, the suspension on that Dragon felt better than any Cat I have ever ridden. It ate up the bumps on the trail like they were nothing.. I know the 155 has a lot to do with that as well. The ergo's feel better to me for sure.

The transition from sitting to standing is much easier than the cat's I have ridden. The higher seat certainly helps with that..

I think some side vents, fox shocks, f-bomb or snow eliminators and a sway bar could help a lot..

Oh well.. we shall see

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Doug, It doesn't sound like you are going to get this sled before we leave for aman. This being the case, We need to get you on a different iq rmk up there that has a swaybar still in it and good shocks. They are still a little squirrely compared to what you are used to, but I am betting that it will be worlds better than what that one was without the swaybar.

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
That might not be a bad idea.. If I could get the squirrels out I might feel a little better about the sled..

P
Feb 22, 2004
Wisconsin
That 700 is a sweetheart of a motor. Too bad it's gone. :( I love mine.

My front end was squirrely when I got mine too. Tons of ski pressure but really squishy shocks. I ended up throwing away the Walkers (they were junk) and putting on a set of Carl's-valved ZeroPros. HUGE improvement. Compliments the EZ-Ryde perfectly. :)

Must have a swaybar though!

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I think some side vents, fox shocks, f-bomb or snow eliminators and a sway bar could help a lot..

Don't buy Snow Eliminators for the Polaris Raw chassis, they are dangerous!!! The raised cleats go right up into the all ready tight footwells, causing a trap for your foot. I ended up grinding the cleats on mine down to make more room and their OK now, but I wish I never bought them!!!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Doug if you want we can pop the float-2's off my D-8 and you can ride them on the 7 and see if you like..I am sure you will...

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
doug its all in the sway bar, you will feel way more comfortable with it once the sway bar is put back in.

Tim, I wanted to go, but a buddy of my deplos on the 10th and sat night was his goin away party. needless to say it wouldnt of been a good idea for me to drive all the way there by myself. My buddy mike with the 01 800 wasnt goin to go...

Premium Features