• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how much weight do you save by pulling the m1000 headlights?

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
If you are not going to completely strip the hood, I wouldn't bother. They only weigh a pound or two, and they come in handy if it gets dark.:D Think about maybe a mesh hood, or the strip the stock hood route.

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
tt

be careful on the m sleds without any draw on the lighting circuit you must run a resistor if you have no headlight to draw any power, if you dont you may be paying 1500 for a new ecu.

shadow conspiracy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Quesnel, B.C.
under the impression with the 07 and up, m8 and m1000 you dont need the resistor. only the m7s needed one. I have been running 2 years without the headlights with no problems, also withouth the brake light. it does have the handwarmers, gauge and a boondocker box. its a 07 m1000

Last edited:

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I've been hearing about burning down the ecu since I bought my '05 M7, and I don't doubt that it happens, but I put probably 500 miles or more on mine without a hood or a light, my friend put just as much on his '05 M7 and my brother put probably 3 times that on a firecat without a hood or a light and none of us have ever had a problem, I've since put a light on just to be safe, but it makes me wonder why we were so lucky when I've heard about so many that weren't. I guess just one of those things.

S

SnowBound

Nov 26, 2007
Central California
moflowvents.com
You save about 2.5 lbs. Still not sure if you need a resistor. I hear you dont for the 07 and newer m1000. What if you dont have a headlight, brake light, and hand warmers. Is that harder on the CCU.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
any replacement ideas for the vacant holes if I do pull the lights?

Go buy some 1/4 inch harware cloth and pet screen.
Cut and form the hardware cloth to fit nicely in the openings from the backside, then cover with the pet screen and attatch using the old headlight mounting holes and replace the windshield push pins with fasteners so you can attatch the hardware cloth and pet screen.
Be sure to extend the cloth far enough so you can attatch it.
I have been waiting to post pics of mine until I have finished some other small details, but I should be done with it this weekend and will get some pics of the vents and custom airbox.
I was running a small automotive light under the hood on the steering support, but have since moved it to the top of the hood just below the divider in the center of the headlights.
I used a rubber pad to keep from scratching the paint on the hood and attatched it with a couple zip ties.
If you cant find pet screen, the uv screen door material looks to be close to the same thing.
I used regular screen door material and it is not quite as strong as the uv screen, but the regular stuff is more porous.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
tail light, head light, hood, no problem. The ones on here that can't understand that the 07 & newer are not an issue make it more complicated than it needs to be.

07, 08, 09, run without a hood all you want.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
tail light, head light, hood, no problem. The ones on here that don't understand that the 07 & newer are not an issue make it more complicated than it needs to be.

07 & 08 run without a hood all you want. If something changed on the 09 I'd like to know, the ccu unit is different, just looks like a resistor to me.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
thanks for the input

tail light, head light, hood, no problem. The ones on here that don't understand that the 07 & newer are not an issue make it more complicated than it needs to be.

07 & 08 run without a hood all you want. If something changed on the 09 I'd like to know, the ccu unit is different, just looks like a resistor to me.

Thanks for the info.
I will look for a clean looking finish to those huge gaps in the hood without the lights.
Dan

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Dan - i thought you got another XP? wtf!

Anwho, i will be home tomorrow and will remove my lights and install the light vnets i ordered from 2cool....and i got a diamond S hood that wont fit over my charge tube, might have to modify it???

S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
Dan - i thought you got another XP? wtf!

Anwho, i will be home tomorrow and will remove my lights and install the light vnets i ordered from 2cool....and i got a diamond S hood that wont fit over my charge tube, might have to modify it???

Snatchers!!! aka beetlejuice. I bought an xp and a 08' m10 mofo!
Any snow in pinedale? We are still going to try to get out to Togwotee. Keeping our fingers crossed. I have a few goodies on the m10 already.
D

Premium Features