• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

indy ultra sp problems!!!

S
Dec 17, 2014
hey guys im new to forum and have been searching every outlet I have to me to find the problem im having and have had no such luck :( so let me explain I picked up a 96 ultra 700 triple not running it had a small fire no big deal. fixed everything put the motor back in it got it running and it backfired through the exhaust at first. I did clean the carbs the first time (lots of sh** in them) cleaned them again ran better. checked the stator had to replace the flywheel (magnet broke off) picked up an entire 1997 ultra 700 for parts blown lower end so decided if it ran I mine as well switch everything!!! changed cdi box carbs stator flywheel throttle cables and choke cables. now it backfires through the pto carb (yes a flame comes out of the carb) I know its a lean condition im a mechanic by trade but don't know carbs very well or sleds this is my second sled ive ever owned my first was a 76 panther lol compression is good and gas flow is good anyone got any ideas??? please help I just want to ride it

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
did you check the reed pedals?
also, theyll backfire like that when a plug is fouled. might try a fresh br9es with a solid tip. solid tip is key imo.

Last edited:
S
Dec 17, 2014
yes I tried that I even switched the reeds from the pto cyl to the mag cyl still did the same thing and the plugs are new I just changed them I can try another set but those plug maybe have an hour of idle time on them and no ride time cause I don't want to ruin the motor riding it

C

cowboy181d

Nov 1, 2008
Burns oregon
just as a test swap the carb with another cylinder.... and see what happens and I agree solid br9es I have had problems with these old miki carbs plugging up in the passages with lacquer when they sat. Or try just barely open the choke to enrich the fuel system.

S
Dec 17, 2014
I have switched the carbs and the reed valves and I've got a receipt from 2012 saying the crank was brand new when the motor was built and its only got 300 miles on it from the rebuild I suppose I can check the phase but I doubt its out I think its a carb issue I think I need to either buy a manometer or make one idk

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Have you synced the carbs? Does it backfire at idle or when you give it throttle?

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I have switched the carbs and the reed valves and I've got a receipt from 2012 saying the crank was brand new when the motor was built and its only got 300 miles on it from the rebuild I suppose I can check the phase but I doubt its out I think its a carb issue I think I need to either buy a manometer or make one idk

Just for your info on the cranks phase issue, we replaced 3 cranks on our grass drag sled in 2004. And where did they get a new crank in 2012? Easy to check and you will be able to check one more thing off the probable cause.
Coil? Coil wire? Spark plug cap? Check the timing?

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin

If it is a carb issue the problem should move cylinders with the carb move. You did not indicate if the problem is following the carb. I would also agree that you should check to be sure the crank is not out of phase. Just blowing a belt has been known to knock a crank out of phase. I knew some one who had an ultra that would stop running intermittently and it was found there was a wire routing issue around the jackshaft/ airbox area where the wires rubbed bare and was shorting out. You may want to check there also. You should be able to sync the carbs pretty close just by backing out the idle screws and put your thumb in one carb and a finger in another to adjust the cable pull so the slides lift at the same time. Then move from the center carb to the other outboard and repeat.

D
Jan 31, 2019
Eveleth Mn
hey guys im new to forum and have been searching every outlet I have to me to find the problem im having and have had no such luck :( so let me explain I picked up a 96 ultra 700 triple not running it had a small fire no big deal. fixed everything put the motor back in it got it running and it backfired through the exhaust at first. I did clean the carbs the first time (lots of sh** in them) cleaned them again ran better. checked the stator had to replace the flywheel (magnet broke off) picked up an entire 1997 ultra 700 for parts blown lower end so decided if it ran I mine as well switch everything!!! changed cdi box carbs stator flywheel throttle cables and choke cables. now it backfires through the pto carb (yes a flame comes out of the carb) I know its a lean condition im a mechanic by trade but don't know carbs very well or sleds this is my second sled ive ever owned my first was a 76 panther lol compression is good and gas flow is good anyone got any ideas??? please help I just want to ride it

D
Jan 31, 2019
Eveleth Mn
So broom, did you ever get this sled figured out? I know you’re post is a few yrs old. I’ve recently rebuilt my ultra SPX, had issue with middle cylinder not firing and now I have no spark at all. Than for any info , much appreciated. dmdtom

powdrdaz

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
We had a ultra and one of the coils went out. Had no spark to that piston (I'm thinking it was the middle one )
Replaced it and had spark again

D
Jan 31, 2019
Eveleth Mn
Lol yah. I just rebuilt the engine. And it’s was hitting on all 3 wen cold. Go for a ride and after it warmed up it would drop the middle cylinder. Well the last time I tried running it, I really didn’t let it warm up a whole lot. Tried taking off rite away. It started moving then she started dogging n popping didn’t want to move n when I’d try giving it gas it would want to die. I let off the the gas and it would idle but soon as I touch the gas it would want to die n then it finealy did die out n hasn’t started again. Now there’s no spark to all 3 cylinders. I’m guessing the stator burnt out

Premium Features