• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Air cleaners???

S
Aug 31, 2014
I recently bought a 1993 xlt but the previous owner pulled the triple and replaced it with a 1998 rmk 700. The air box obviously was different so he simply put some window screens over the intake of the carbs and called it good. My sled unfornatly for now is sitting outside and don't want dust getting in the engine. What options do I have? Would cone filters make it run rich?

M
Sep 1, 2014
Provo, UT
Welcome to the forum! In regards to your question, I'd suggest looking at K&N's website here:

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/universal.htm

This will give you all sorts of options in regards to what style of filter, and from there it will give you every dimension of the air filter. I'd imagine getting the biggest filter possible will lessen the effects of having an air filter on there. The K&N's aren't very restrictive to begin with which some guys in the dirt powersports arena avoid them, but being in the snow and just wanting something to keep the dust out, K&N's would be a great idea. You may want to consider building a bracket to hold the air filters up so that they don't make the carb boots sag with the air filters hanging off the back. I don't know whether its an issue or not, but something to consider.

Another thing that I have heard is that with just the carbs hanging out like that, they actually suck hotter air than they would if it had an airbox that sucks air from the top of the hood. At any rate, good looking sled, see ya on the trails!

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I would definitely get an air box so you can pull cold air from behind the windshield. The 99 RMK set up would work good for you. The problem as mentioned previously is that you suck in a lot of hot air with no air box. One more thing is that with no air box the under hood barometric pressure varies tremendously with speed so the thing is almost impossible to jet properly. I tried pod filters once and threw them away.

Premium Features